All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 PM

vanja is on a distinguished road
The end of the successful SE's P series?

First of all, I must say I had P800, P900 and P910 and all of them served me very well over the past few years. Had no reason to switch to P990 except it is newer and got some special offer so decided to go for it. But am pretty disappointed with it.

1. Where did iSync (Mac OS X) support go?
That worked perfectly ever since I bought P800. Apple is saying that is SE's duty to provide and SE claims Apple must provide it....

2. Poor memory management
Am really tired of "not enough memory" notifications!

3. Sound definitely too low
Colleague's N73 is louder at least 2 times than P990!! I can barely hear my phone phone ringing...

4. Auto Capitalization in FC
Something that I have never even read on forums. It simply is not working. Was hoping it will be solved in this firmware but again we get nothing. "Smart" phone that is making trouble to its owner when writing a plane SMS!!!!

5. Does SE really think about UIQ in terms of bright future, considering their current policy and developers treatment?
Simply put, developing for UIQ3 is *HARD*. For example, the other day had spoken with a guy that develops Metro application (check it out, it is really nice btw) and although he is planning to port it to UIQ3 says it is really complicating and SE barely provided any tutorial.

Do we have to wait on applications until P990 becomes history?! I honestly do not remember this status quo situation when P800 came out. Every time I find some useful software there is UIQ2 and S60 version but of course no UIQ3.
Even big software companies (in terms of Symbian) are hesitating to deliver UIQ3 apps! What is happening?

6. SIP client!!
One of the big advantages that comes with wifi is freedom of using VoIP. But not on P990. In fact, on their developers forum they comment why would someone need such thing!! Something might come up (Fring). But they are providing only gtalk and Skype, not real SIP protocol. But again even that is not thanks to SE (SE will only make it slower thanks to "brilliant" signing process). They are behaving like there are 50 different UIQ3 phones out there and all developers just can't wait to come up with some new idea for the platform.
All of this you get on N80 out-of-the-box + UPnP!

7. Hardware quality
Tomorrow am bringing it to service point because color is warned out all over the case. If that was not the case on all of my previous phones that were old few years, I do not want to hear about these kind of problems on a one month old phone.

Had to write this, I feel much better
Boy, I wish I never bought this piece of shit. If I lose my temper and get rid of it, N80 here I come!