Undergraduate Project: VoIP Application - Help Reqd
We have started off on our UG Project - To develop a VoIP application on the Symbian platform that could work (independently) on top of existing n/w connectivity such as GPRS/EDGE/UMTS. We have decided to use Symbian C++ for the same.
We have identified the modules that we need to develop:
SIP Stack over Symbian
VoIP application using RTP and SIP
We would be satisfied with a push to talk application in the end if we are unable to find a work-around the existing restrictions.
1) Is a 2 month timeframe sufficient for this project?
2) Could people who have worked on this before help us out with a clear idea of where we should start and how we should progress. It would be great if you could fwd sample source codes.
3) Can we use the existing SIP stack plugin for S60 2nd Edition be used for the Symbian S60 3rd Edition FP1 as well? How do I test a sample call setup in the same??
4) Can applications developed using the Carbide.C++ Express and Symbian S60 3rd Edition FP1 be ported directly to the Nokia 6600 phone?
5) Do we have to worry abt the underlying connectivity i.e GPRS or EDGE or UMTS or WLAN in developing such an application? Can it be developed independent of this?
Kindly help me out by mailing any attempts in this domain to kumareshp at gmail dot com. Your help would be invaluable.
If you are interested in taking this further after your UG project, I'd definitely encourage you to go ahead with that. Up to know, there is no open source SIP client (not even a free SIP client) for S60 available, which can be installed onto phones which don't have the SIP stack anyway (like the N80).
Maybe what you can do is:
- Narrow the scope for your UG project.
- Continue working on the subject.
If you care to discuss, drop me an email at tschlabach at gmx dot net.