All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 14-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Nokia 5500 reviewed - the Range Rover of the smartphone world?

AAS's own 'krisse' has been training hard with just the Nokia 5500 for company. though not billed as a smartphone, it's extremely capable and a true S60 3rd Edition device. Here's the full, illustrated review.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
Great review Krisse! This phone is just amazing. Whilst most of Nokia seem to be content making their phones look more and more like a Palm Treo by adding ever more buttons, or more and more like a Minolta camera by adding ever more mega-pixels, here they show they can still be innovative and really push the smartphone genre into new areas. And the motion-control system is just the canine's danglies.

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 15-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"but I find it a bit strange that I have not spotted any of major networks who are supplying the phone?"

The 5500 has only just been released in Finland sim-free, it often takes weeks or sometimes months for phones to get released as network-subsidised versions around the world.

"Great review Krisse!"

Thank you! :-)

"Whilst most of Nokia seem to be content making their phones look more and more like a Palm Treo by adding ever more buttons, or more and more like a Minolta camera by adding ever more mega-pixels, here they show they can still be innovative and really push the smartphone genre into new areas."

I think a lot of the design has to do with branding, the Nseries phones are marketed as multimedia devices so of course they try and look like cameras, while the Eseries phones are marketed as business devices so they try and look like PDAs.

The ones that just have standard Nokia numbers are free to do whatever they want, because they're not constrained by a particular sub-brand.

Last edited by krisse; 15-09-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Old 15-09-2006, 03:18 PM

misterblister is on a distinguished road
forgive me if i missed this in the article but is the phone splashproof/dustproof/shockproof?

Old 15-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator

"forgive me if i missed this in the article but is the phone splashproof/dustproof/shockproof?"

Yes, according to Nokia. Thanks for mentioning this, I've added it to the review.

Last edited by krisse; 15-09-2006 at 04:07 PM.

Old 15-09-2006, 06:50 PM

bbj is on a distinguished road
5500 availabilty...

Its been SIM free in UK - around £200 (E300) for a few weeks at least. ive also seen it on O2 + pretty sure Vodaphone - about £50 with contract....

Old 16-09-2006, 07:31 PM

misterblister is on a distinguished road
yeh i was looking at prices - 229.95 sterling at carphone warehouse but they list the 5500 as a non-smartphone and also as not having a music player!? I assume this is simply an error as they devote a paragraph of the description to its music palyer function

Old 17-09-2006, 06:07 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
It is a smartphone all-right as any S60 phone is. It also has a music player along with other typical S60 features and apps (those built-in, and any S60 3rd Edition after-market apps).

Old 17-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator

"yeh i was looking at prices - 229.95 sterling at carphone warehouse but they list the 5500 as a non-smartphone and also as not having a music player!? I assume this is simply an error as they devote a paragraph of the description to its music palyer function?"

It's a total error, carphone warehouse have got this completely wrong.

The 5500 is most definitely a smartphone, and it's also most definitely got a music player. :-)

The 5500 is actually an excellent music player, it has great stereo sound quality, and even comes with a music headset as standard which has FF/RW/Play/Pause and volume controls built into it, and the headset uses standard walkman headphones (also included in the box or you can use your own). And of course there's a third option for controlling the music player just by tapping the phone on different parts of the casing.

Old 17-09-2006, 11:58 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
And a very good one, no 3G, smatphone, because is the cheapest of all new Symbian phones!

Old 18-09-2006, 09:40 AM

Andreas is on a distinguished road
Thanks Krisse for the great review! I bought the Nokia 5500 as a replacement for an old 6230. I think it is a great phone for everyday use. I didn't buy it for its sports mode, but after reading your review I really feel tempted to give the sports mode a try.

Old 14-04-2007, 05:03 AM

firefit is on a distinguished road
Nokia 5500 connectivity with the Palm T3

Can anyone shed any light on whether the Nokia 5500 is compatible via Bluetooth or IR with the Palm T3???

I have tried looking on the Palm website and Nokia website AND I have Googled it to no avail.

Can anyone help??

Thanks,