All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-09-2006, 12:48 PM

pypline is on a distinguished road
WLan and UPnP ?

Hi, I have a WLan network in my house and i can connect to it through my N80. How can i connect my phone and PC together so i can transfer music, pics and video?Also is it possible to be anywhere, even away from your house and retrieve files from your PC like music and pics? i heard of a program called simple center, what does that do?

Thanks, Jake

Old 13-09-2006, 06:21 PM

fdxd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypline
Hi, I have a WLan network in my house and i can connect to it through my N80. How can i connect my phone and PC together so i can transfer music, pics and video?Also is it possible to be anywhere, even away from your house and retrieve files from your PC like music and pics? i heard of a program called simple center, what does that do?

Thanks, Jake
Yeah. Check out Orb too for streaming and accessing files away from home. You can do quite afew things but its still an area that needs more development. N80 is one fo the few portable devices that do this and have nice hardware etc.

Old 13-09-2006, 11:26 PM

satello is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdxd
Yeah. Check out Orb too for streaming and accessing files away from home. You can do quite afew things but its still an area that needs more development. N80 is one fo the few portable devices that do this and have nice hardware etc.
i was a bit wondering what else to do with the n80 other than access the net and BANG!!! found orb, this is fantastic, i can manage to watch my satellite tv channels even if i'm abroad and i could not just belive it when i've seen it!!!!!

also it allows youy to stream your mp3, divx and... your webcam if you'got one, and maybe check what your wife is doing on the computer while you are down the local which hopefully is wifi enable!!!

Old 14-09-2006, 11:23 PM

micscave is on a distinguished road
Yep, have to agree with fdxd & satello about orb. Completely brilliant application, just too cool for words really. I had to increase my bandwidth on my WLAN in Realplayer settings to get it to work though, but haven't tried on 3G yet but guessing the same will apply.
So yeah, if you wanna watch the missus on webcam whilst in the boozer you really must try orb.

Old 13-09-2006, 09:56 PM

Pheonix SZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypline

Thanks, Jake
It's an app on the N80 CD which allows you to transfer media files.
If you wanna transfer non-media files, you gotta select 'data transfer' on the phone, use the USB cable and Explorer.

Old 14-09-2006, 11:38 PM

cmlewan is on a distinguished road
A word of warning. Orb seems only work on Windows XP (and S60 in the other uncomplicated end), not on Linux or Macintosh. Just so you know... Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand it's a streaming program to a webpage. And then you access the webpage (with sound or video) via your phone.

Old 15-09-2006, 09:16 PM
James761

Will it work if your computer is using a wireless adapter and not directly connected to the router?

Old 16-09-2006, 02:13 AM

fdxd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James761
Will it work if your computer is using a wireless adapter and not directly connected to the router?
yup.

Upload may suffer depending on speed.

Old 16-09-2006, 07:55 AM
James761

Where can you download?

Old 17-09-2006, 07:15 AM

pypline is on a distinguished road
Orb Problems

Hi,

I have downloaded orb and can see my pictures and files on the website through my phone but when i try to listen to my music or play my videos. it just says "cannot connect to server. files could not be found", something like that. all my music files are mp3 and my movies just say movie file. when i access the orb website through my laptop(which is where all my files are stored) it plays perfectly. Do i have to change any setting on my phone or my pc to connect both devices? Any help would be great.

Thanks Jake