All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-06-2006, 12:53 PM

soorejmg is on a distinguished road
can i install any other os in nokia 6630

which symbain version can be installed in nokia 6630 so that it has atleast partial functionality???can i install any othjer models software in my mobile?

Old 08-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soorejmg
which symbain version can be installed in nokia 6630 so that it has atleast partial functionality???can i install any othjer models software in my mobile?
The 6630 uses Symbian version 8 as its OS, with Series 60 2nd Edition as its User Interface.

Most software for S60 2nd Edition should work on the 6630.

You can't change the Symbian version on your phone, it's built into the hardware AFAIK.

Old 14-06-2006, 11:43 PM

antonypranata is on a distinguished road
At the moment, the answer is definitely no.
However, I am also wondering, why can't we install OS that we like in our phones. I have posted a blog about this too a couple of weeks ago, http://mobile.antonypranata.com/2006...nes-ourselves/.

Old 15-06-2006, 03:58 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The biggest issues preventing this sort of thing, I believe, are:

- The hardware is for the most past done by using customized components, and they change too rapidly from one device to another. Standardized hardware interfaces like those which definitions, e.g., the MIPI Alliance is working on, may help: http://www.mipi.org/

- The device manufacturers haven't released detailed hardware specifications (which means that only they know enough about the hardware to do it, and there's no incentive for them to do it and a major effort, due to the previous point).

One thing that was an issue in the past has probably been solved already with some device models (available device resouces - primarily memory and processor performance - have reached a level where they do not require, even if it'd be beneficial, highly optimized, small and effective code size).

Another step in this direction is also that the number of devices sold is beginning to be enough to support this sort of thing (with some models' manufacturing life-span long enough that it might be worth the effort to attempt this kind of thing, before it disappears from shops).

When more "off-the-shelf" components are used in mobile devices, with widely published interfaces (i.e., the electrical and mechanical connectors do not change from model to model, from vendor to vendor), then it starts to become even more feasible.

It is anybody's guess when the conditions are met/right for this kind of opportunity to start to spread. It will inevitably happen at some point (at least on a smaller scale), and my predition is that it'll still be years from now (maybe 3-5), but time will tell.

Old 20-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
One other thing: the makers of Symbian phones are also shareholders in Symbian. Nokia is the largest maker of Symbian phones, and it's also the largest shareholder by far in Symbian.

Imagine if Microsoft was entirely owned by PC manufacturers, these manufacturers would be very reluctant to allow people to install a non-Windows operating system on their hardware, and would make it technically difficult to do.

If OS-free smartphones were to appear, they'd have to come from smaller independent firms using off-the-shelf parts as N/A said.

In any case, it's doubtful that there's much of a market for OS-free smartphones, most people who buy smartphones don't even know there is an OS in it at all, they think it's just another electronic device with a few built-in functions. Even with PCs, it's very rare that people actually install a non-Windows OS on them.