All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Nokia E60 Preview: The Candybar With Almost Everything?

Announced at Symbian's recent Smartphone Show, the Nokia E60 Business Smartphone looked to be the dullest of the lot, a standard candybar phone with all the usual bells and whistles. But it looks like a little corker. Ewan Spence finds out more.

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-11-2005, 01:38 PM

Al3xandr3 is on a distinguished road
Allow me a little correction. The screen doesn't have the double of the standard S60 resolution, but 4 times the previous one.

Resolutions must be measured in areas. so of you double both width and height you'll get 2x2 times more pixels, so, 4 times!

176x208= 36608

352x416= 146432

36608x4= 146432.

Good preview, by the way!

Old 22-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Heh good point.

Though I think people probably better under stand double the size because that suggest x2 the previous resolution numbers.

Rafe

Old 22-11-2005, 10:22 PM

badger is on a distinguished road
You missed out on the bit about the DRM app...

This great tool allows you to DRM lock your own documents and files when sending them on to other people. Great for sensitive documents (or pics of the wife!) which you want people to view but not send on.

I must say that this is one of the nicest s60 devices I have ever used.

Old 23-11-2005, 11:24 AM
kk3

The device itself is nice, that's true. However, this device starts the flood of (practically) locked Symbian devices, when new applications need to be "interesting business cases" for manufacturers to get them signed (because the APIs that are most usable to improve the user experience are considered the most harmful).

If your application is something which was foreseen by Symbian engineers, fine. If not, you're in deep trouble.

I'm afraid that N70/N90 devices will remain the ultimate Symbian devices and new Symbian phones will come closer to standard feature phones running proprietary OSs. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Malcolm

You suggested that no-one is going to put this on the top of their wishlist... I came across the article precisely because I have done that (or mebbe the E61 is on top?)

For me, and many others, the issue of cameras is critical. If a thing has a camera, it's useless to me. Yet I need a comprehensively feature-rich phone. And I'm not alone -- notice the HP smartphone which has a Cingular-only variant without the camera.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Jamie Lupton

Thumbs up VOIP savings

Its certainly at the top of my wish list but mainly because of the wifi on it. The UK enjoys very highly priced mobile calls unlike USA and Australia to name two. My current bill rolls in at about 300 - 400 a month. Not bothered about the camera. Cameras on phones are nowhere near replacing digitals yet. If it has WCDMA on it though, video calls will be hard and that could offput some technical based businesses who use these for looking at problems.

I intend to Skype as much as possible of those calls as most Voip apps are currently having symbian versions written. Also BTOpenzone allow free access to all their hotspots for Yahoo messenger with BT communicator traffic. So you're calling people for a penny a minute pretty much anywhere major in the UK. Or even nothing if the user on the other end is using voip.

This is the first phone which is a reasonable size to offer wifi unlike the larger pda phones. Can't wait to get my hands on one and show the greedy overcharging uk networks that we now have more than a choice of providers, we have a choice of systems.

The GSM providers need to listen up because businesses are surely gonna route calls over IP when these handsets arrive. Buy a sim free one though because my experience of orange for example, they'll probably have reprogrammed it with their own software to stop people using voip. The saving potential is greater than the cost of the handset easily.

Old 18-02-2006, 11:44 AM

garyparson is on a distinguished road
Am i right in saying that this phone has the use of hscsd as a dial up option? I'm stuck with a 6600 at the moment as they seemed to take off the dial up and just have packet data to connect (gprs).

Is this the first symbian phone since mine to have the csd put back on?

Old 04-03-2006, 04:30 AM

when is this phone due out in the uk? also, can anyone answer my previous question?

Old 04-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yes I believe it does have HSCSD, but then I though other phones did too. As far as I know not that many operators support HSCSD.

The phone should be out some time in April.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:44 PM

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=41772

This thread explains my previous problems. I'm wondering if I can finally get a new phone with the E60 and it having the option of dial up for my internet. All symbian phones since my 6600 have only had 'packet data' as an option for connecting.

Old 16-03-2006, 05:30 PM

Can anyone answer my question at all ?