All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-11-2002, 01:54 PM

russellf is on a distinguished road
War Walking

<p>I had a thought a few days ago. As some people might know there is a thing call war driving where people with laptops and Wireless network drive around and find networks they can connect to. Now I though well why not see if the same princaple work with Bluetooth. So I gave it a try.</p>

So far I have tried in places with high concentrations of geeks (haven't had a chance to try a crowded area yet). These include the local PC-World and work and it seems that there are many people with 7650's and T68i's which will just accept random pictures . But I did think could anyone write a program that automatically scans/saves information about other bluetooth devices?

Old 14-11-2002, 01:58 PM
nickprice

i've been secretly hoping that i'll find a hot girl on the train with a bt phone i can send 'special' photos of myself to, but it has yet to happen :cry: . i'd have to be careful not to send them to the wrong person though .

Old 14-11-2002, 02:05 PM

russellf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickprice
i've been secretly hoping that i'll find a hot girl on the train with a bt phone i can send 'special' photos of myself to, but it has yet to happen :cry: . i'd have to be careful not to send them to the wrong person though .
Ah I just sent special photos to my fiance

Rus

Old 14-11-2002, 02:11 PM

wahchild is on a distinguished road
There's a guy somewhere on our floor at work who's got a 7650 - Don't know who he is but I've been doing some 'phone stalking' - every now and then I'll send him either a picture or ring tone and he always accepts! (He can't see my phone as I leave it on hidden) - I'm hoping to drive him crazy!!

Seriously though, it's probably a good idea to leave your bluetooth as hidden unless you need it - The 7650 has a full OS on it and it would be quite easy for a warped individual to mess with if you gave that person a chance (would tell this guy in the office but it's too much fun )

Old 14-11-2002, 03:12 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
I've heard it refered to as War Chalking (As they chalk points where the network is accessable).

I have too thought of this before, It would be good if someone created a Bluetooth Filemanager, so I could look around other peoples 7650's Obviously it would also have to skip the "Do you want to accept this connection?" and go straight for the C: drive

I wish BT had a little bit more range, say 30 meters then it would be excelent.

Old 14-11-2002, 03:15 PM

tvoung is on a distinguished road
I have tried this on the train a few times.
Found a 6310i, saw this guy looking around frantically for the cause of the intrusion to his phone

Old 14-11-2002, 03:26 PM

:) is on a distinguished road
I saw bluetooth adapters that had a 100 meter range, then pocket pc's with 100 meter range bluetooth!! (i hope its no misspell) I'm sure i read two zero's, well it had to be 100 meters cause it would't be so cool being 10 meters away from your computer at office and you want to browse whatever.

100 meters is really good, but thats for pocket pc's though, imagine hacking into your bosses phone and screwing around!

Last edited by : ) on Thu Jan 02, 1947 11:32 pm, edited 451 times in total

Old 14-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Are you sure that wasn't Wi-Fi (802.11b)

Old 14-11-2002, 03:32 PM

Na, I've read about 100 meter BT too.. it's a reality

Old 14-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Administrator

If only it was standard spec on all phones!, Imagine the fun you could have

Old 14-11-2002, 03:40 PM

Theres the Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX. But that thing is so power hungry, you have to have a charger even in your neighbours house!

But i changed my mind about pocket pc's, they're no phones, they're phone wanna-be's!

Old 14-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Administrator

PPC fans could give the same argument (But the other way around) about the 7650, It's no PDA it's just a phone.

It's down to personal preference to which on you like better.

I don't mind PPC's I think they have their own place in the market, but my 7650 is just right for my own needs. (A P800 wouldn't go amiss either).

Old 14-11-2002, 06:00 PM

wahchild is on a distinguished road
The 100m range for BT on PPC is marketing depts. stretching the truth a bit.

Mine will manage a bit more than the 7650, but not a lot - 30 metres maybe

Old 14-11-2002, 06:09 PM

Quote:
PPC fans could give the same argument (But the other way around) about the 7650, It's no PDA it's just a phone.

It's down to personal preference to which on you like better.

I don't mind PPC's I think they have their own place in the market, but my 7650 is just right for my own needs. (A P800 wouldn't go amiss either).
Yeah exactly, it's just down to personal taste, and needs.

Old 14-11-2002, 10:27 PM

allthumbs is on a distinguished road
Setting your bluetooth ID and having it come up on other peoples phones is actually fun enough. At an IT fair last week, I was George Dubya Bush for the day and my mate was Lord Sauron. I rather think such resounding wit went unnoticed however ...