All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-09-2002, 03:43 PM

OsirisMedia is on a distinguished road
Do you pay for sent and recieved data via GPRS?

Do you pay for Sent and recieved kbs, via GPRS

I ask because im on a free month trial period at the momment, and well the amount of data of clocked up I would be in for a $100 phone bill,
and on my ISP I have a download limit, but only the downloaded data is counted, is it the same on GPRS with phones or is it, sent data also thats counted.

I imagine it woul dbe since you send out data to send emails and there obviously not gonna let ya do that for free but thought id ask anyway

thanks in advance.

Old 21-09-2002, 04:54 PM

erhum is on a distinguished road
Normally you pay for data sent or received to the device ... well at least that is my understanding.

Incidentally, it is not exactly comparible when you think about an ISP on the wired Internet as against the use of the mobile network ... $100 per month is a lot of data ... perhaps you should look to your ISP about getting IMAP mail, then you could decide what you want to download.

Just to give you a comparison - I use mobile Internet (WAP browser) at a pretty average level and so far have yet to come anywhere near the 4 MB level I am paying for at $15 per month or there abouts. But I dont use it all for email (in whihc case I would probalby chew up several MB per week).

Old 21-09-2002, 06:49 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
I use email alot on my phone, but I do it through my ISP (Freeserve) to dial up. Vodafone used to include 0845 numbers in your monthy minutes, I have 400 mins a month on my current contract, so it worked out really well. Vodafone in their "wisdom" decided not to include 0845 numbers in July so I am now paying 10p/5p On peak/Off peak.

It takes between 2 - 3 minutes to download/send email depending upon size, so I pay between 10p and 30p per email which seems expensive. But when you consider that a text costs 12p it doesn't seem that bad.

I never use GPRS, I have settings on my phone and used it for a while, but when my first bill came, I quickly put a stop to that. For me this works out cheaper.

Old 21-09-2002, 07:54 PM

Freddie666 is on a distinguished road
In Austria (A1) I do have a package of 7 MB GPRS data per month, and this costs 7 Euro. I think thats rather cheap. I do a lot GPRS - WAP, Web, E-Mail, download of javas ... and never came near to 7 MB
"I'm troubled. I'd like to take a moment."
(The Biscuit)

Old 21-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
That's cheap!!, Does anyone know the price for a simlar tarrif in the UK?

Old 22-09-2002, 05:36 AM

hego is on a distinguished road
Here in Finland at DNA network I pay 16,65 euro for GPRS in a month and I can use it as much I want, no limitations... I'ts good with laptop. 8)

Old 22-09-2002, 08:45 AM

lakeywhite is on a distinguished road
Orange in the UK have just lauched an add on called the Access Pack, which is 4 a month for 200 minutes WAP browsing or 10MB GPRS data, you must decide which one you want when you sign up.

Old 22-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Administrator

4 a month, that's good.

I'm gonna have to sort out recieving my email via gprs. :-?

Old 22-09-2002, 10:36 AM

faquick is on a distinguished road
we used to have, in Italy:

- TIM (first national operator) still offers a "summer" promotional offer, activable till 6th of october, you pay 10 to have 30 days unlimited GPRS (web and wap) ... I think this is the coolest, but... probably they won't renew it :x

- Vodafone Omnitel (second operator) had a 10.33 offer that gave about 2 months of "web" only GPRS (you paid WAP access point) but now it has finished :x

other operators let you pay... the tariff is about 6 per megabyte for internet access and about 3 to 6 eurocents for kilobyte for wap... I think it's VERY expensive... If they don't do any other "promotions" I will probably stop using GPRS

Old 22-09-2002, 10:59 AM

erhum is on a distinguished road
O2 in the UK are charging me 11 or there abouts for 4MB ... seems pretty expensinve in the light of other charges outlined above.

Old 22-09-2002, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Does anyone know of an Free ISP that dials up using a "Regular" area code rather than an 0845 number??

Now vodafone aren't including 0845 numbers this has become rather expensive.

Old 22-09-2002, 12:51 PM

Tenchi is on a distinguished road
In Australia I think it's the most expensive. My trial period bill worked out to just under $200!! And yes we get charged for incoming and outgoing.

If you don't go on a GPRS plan with Telstra you get slugged the following:

22c or 25c (cant remember :roll per connection to GPRS
and 2.2c per KB!

I'm on a $15 a month plan which includes 1MB (Whoopie!) and reduces the rate to 1.5c per KB once over the 1MB. On any of the plans you no longer pay connection to GPRS fees.

You can pay more per month get more included download amount and pay less per KB.

But frankly I think we're getting screwed over by the telco's yet again .

Old 22-09-2002, 02:35 PM

headshox is on a distinguished road
I have been looking at all operators GPRS packages and Orange's 4 per month access pack is by FAR the cheapest option for normal GPRS users.

Old 22-09-2002, 02:52 PM

federal is on a distinguished road
Manila's GLOBE TELECOM

Here in the philippines, it's still for free =) unlimited use until the end of this month (tentatively). MMS is jsut a new thing here and few people are holding mms-capable handsets. so make take long b4 they start charging to test market first.

estimated costs would be 0.01 US cents per 10kb

Old 22-09-2002, 06:23 PM

lakeywhite is on a distinguished road
Orange's access pack does out do any other network inthe UK at the moment, it is many times better than even their previous packages, I was previously paying 4 for 0.5MB a month with 8 for each MB over that, I can now transfer 20 times that amount for the same price.