All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-01-2004, 05:10 AM
rayelii

Good FREE web browser? NON WAREZ?

Hi everyone. Does anyone know of a link to a FREE NON WAREZ, NON TRIAL, NON TEST 20000000% FREE web browser for the Nokia 3650?

All links that I find go to web sites with trial versions of their software that require you to pay for the full version.

TIA.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:10 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
There is none. All (Opera, WebViewer, NetFront, Doris) are commercial products that you need to pay for (with or without trial versions).

Old 09-01-2004, 11:09 AM
rayelii

Quote:
Originally posted by N/A
There is none. All (Opera, WebViewer, NetFront, Doris) are commercial products that you need to pay for (with or without trial versions).
Seems like you have to pay a freaking arm and a leg just for a tiny application for a tiny device.

No thanks. This stupid thing's going back tomorrow. I'll stick with my 3390.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:46 AM

Does your 3390 have a free web browser?

Old 10-01-2004, 05:27 AM
rayelii

I'm not looking to start a flame war or anything like that.

I just want to make it known that I personally think it's absolutely ridiculous that pretty much every good program out there for these phones requires purchase. The phone is what... $150? Hell, $900 computers have more options as far as free software goes.

I'm not trying to blame the developers. Lord knows how much time and effort they put into programming for these phones.

However, look at Mozilla. Internet Explorer. Both perfectly good browsers, and both are absolutely free.

And it's not just web browsers. Like I said, almost every good program out there for these phones requires a purchase.

My co worker said he could "hook" me up with the programs, but I am 100% against warez.

But now I see why so many people try to look for it on these forums for these devices. BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIND ANYTHING FOR FREE FOR THIS THING.

My 3390. Text based web browser for sports scores, AIM for conversations. I have a digital camera with me at all times for pictures.

...At least until mozilla hits the 3650. Then maybe I'll look into it again.

I wish you all well.

Old 10-01-2004, 07:29 AM

Programming software for mobile phones and selling or otherwise distributing them without having the phone manufacturer put it on the phone is a relatively young phenomena.

There is both freeware and commercial software available for these phones, but not necessarily just the application you want.

And if the app exists, it may be that for now only a commercial version is available.

You can't compare the amount of available free applications for phones to the amount of available free applications for a PC. Well, of course you can, but it is not fair as there are far more PC developers and that world has been open for all programmers for much, much longer.

Still, these programmable phones are actually more powerful, have more memory, better communications capabilities & other technologies that did not exist when PC's appeared.

Old 18-01-2004, 04:57 AM

mekeni2000 is on a distinguished road
browser...

Hello guys...

Your Nokia 3650 is capable of viewing HTML pages, i-mode, and WAP without any problems.

Why settle for a a third-party browser? =)

Just kiddin'...

Old 04-02-2004, 01:35 AM
CarlosTn1

My saying "take what's out there" before "you take what's back"
think about it////or you could just use wap]]] and we all know how much that sux>>>Somebody had to say it::

-CarlosTn1

Old 04-02-2004, 05:30 AM
guestt

You will see more and more free software when it becomes more popular. The reson there is so much free software for the computer is because you can advertise thru it. When they come out with advertising thru the phone you will have your free software. At least thats what I believe.

Old 31-03-2004, 11:59 AM
AlexSee

Another reason...

...why there is little free software is that most people believe that development is only possible on Windows - which means you first need a bloated, complex kit by Microsoft, while the application for your phone is actually compiled via gcc!

Of course there is a way to develop under Linux: http://www.ki-ag.de/pages/tech/Symbi..._on_linux.html
I've actually managed to make it work in <24h. ;-) But Nokia does not even seem to notice that this is possible, although IMHO it makes far more sense to develop under Linux for this phone.

So, enough ranting for now!
Best, Alex

Old 31-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Just Watching

Go here and by filling out a short form you can get a FREE registration code for NetFront for series 60 phones.

http://www.access-sys-eu.com/index.php?id=131

Old 21-10-2004, 07:45 AM
pete77

greedy B*stards...

I totally agree... there is NOTHING free for these phones, atleast legally... I understand 100% for ppl who look for pir8 soft, coz even a small prog that enlarges the caller pic costs euros and have trial after it stops working...!!! For PC no good programmer wouldnt have the guts to ask money for a prog that enlarges 1 or 2 pic!!!! But of course for phones its ok to ask 5 to 20 euro for anything... Not to mention games for n-gage... i bought the deck when it was 300 euro... then u would have to pay 50 euro for games that are worse than nintendo 8-bit...!!! Cmoon 50 euro!!!!! well, i have 1 game for n-gage. Then after year they put price to 100 and give few games for free... thanx a lot nokia for cheating ppl...

Old 24-10-2004, 03:06 PM

tlucz-huba is on a distinguished road
Smile THERE ARE some FREE programs for S60 outthere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete77
I totally agree... there is NOTHING free for these phones, atleast legally.....
I know it's not much..but better than nothing..and it actually didn't even gimme a hard time to find it...

visit:
http://www.symbiandiaries.com/archives/rafe/001246.html