All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-08-2002, 09:01 AM

Any body got WAV to Midi converters?

YO!
I just bought a seven six five oh, and im wondering, since WAV takes space, and midi doesnt, anybody got software to convert Real Audi (.ra, .ram) to midi?

And does the sound change? Do we got voice or is it just beep beep?

Thanks alot!

Old 28-08-2002, 09:47 AM

Ray is on a distinguished road
...just to inform you that WAV to MIDI will never result in similar sound than the input one. Simply because these file formats are nowhere near to eachother (Audio Wave <-> MIDI notes). A WAV to MIDI converter identifies certain peeks within the WAV file and converts these to notes, which than again can be played using any of the selected instruments MIDI can offer.

Check: http://ucables.com/download/showdown.php3?ID=67 for a converter.

Old 28-08-2002, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
A VERY tall order. Basically a wav file (or MP3, RA, RM, etc) contain audio data in the format of frequency and volume hence any sound can be created. MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) on the other hand does not contain any data about the sounds in the file, it only contains the notes played and the "sample patch" that those notes are played on. In a General MIDI file the first 256 instruments should be the same on all keyboards/synthesizers/sound modules/computers/etc anything with the GM logo should play the MIDI file the same.

Now to get from a wav file to a MIDI file the program will need to analyse all the frequencies in the wav file and try to capture notes and instruments from it, this is very difficult if 1) the sounds aren't in the GM list, 2) there is a vocal on the track. Though it's possible to do, if you can achieve it without making a mess of the song I would be very surprised. Your best bet is to hunt the net and find the song you want to use as a MIDI file that someone has made.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 28-08-2002, 02:32 PM

Zipper is on a distinguished road
Just do a search on any search engine ie google and alltheweb .com for 'midi file', theres enough there to keep you going solid for months, and then just ir or bluetooth them across from PC to phone, nice'n'easy AND Free, So get a good collection because one day we'll have to start paying for them as midi's come the standerd for mobiles

Tip - If u got a Ir mouse u can use the Ir receiver bit for an Ir PC/Phone interface.

If knowledge is power, then to be unknowen is to be unconquerable

Old 29-08-2002, 06:07 AM

possan is on a distinguished road
there _are_ converters that scans the wavefile for the most dominant frequencies in the spectrum and generates an midifile according to that, but dont think that it will to take any mp3 with vocals, lots of instruments and turn that into a polyphonic ring tone for you because that's impossible.

Old 29-08-2002, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
I doubt that people will start charging for MIDI files as they've been distributing them for years without charging and if charges do appear it'll only be from ringtone sales people.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 29-08-2002, 04:50 PM

Deezel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade
I doubt that people will start charging for MIDI files as they've been distributing them for years without charging and if charges do appear it'll only be from ringtone sales people.
Not to mention that would be plain lame.... :-?

Old 29-08-2002, 10:21 PM

Zipper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade
Hopefully true - But you cant ignore as things become in higher demand, people will charge for it. But yes I agree it will be mainly from ringtone sales people.

If knowledge is power, then to be unknowen is to be unconquerable