All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Mark90

Question Symbian device & wireless lan

Hmmm, is there a chance to see an Symbian device with WIFI (wireless lan) in future? It doesn't need to be a phone, of course a P810 or BenQ with an (optional) wireless module would be my favourite.

Old 02-10-2003, 07:09 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Of course, there's always the chance to see that some day. There's nothing in the technologies (WLAN or Symbian) that prevents companies from doing it when they feel the time is right.

No Symbian licensee has made such announcements so far, though.

Old 02-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Mitsubushis concept phone had Wi-Fi (802.11b), I was thinking there could be some issues with Network Providers though, as it could in theory make voice over IP possible.

Old 02-10-2003, 02:47 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
Can't remember when or where (though it could have been Reuters) but there was a report of a company looking at making a combined Smartphone\DECT phone. When away from your DECT base station it would function as a normal mobile. However, once in range, it would use either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to connect to your base station and allow you to make calls over your landline. The article speculated that Wi-Fi would be the prefered option as it has a similar range to current DECT phones.

I've been expecting something like that for ages. It's a pain in the perverbial having to enter all your numbers in your mobile AND DECT phones.

I know this doesn't exactly asnswer your question, but it's (I think) interesting and relevant!

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe