All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-08-2002, 04:58 PM

lanwarrior2000 is on a distinguished road
How do you make GPRS stays ON all the time?

In my previous phone, the T68, I used to be able to connect to the Net via GPRS and LEAVE the connection ON. As a matter of fact, after WAP browsing and quiting from the WAP browser back to the menu, T68 will ask if connection should "..remain".

However in the 7650, everytime I quite from the WAP browser / Mailbox (email), it always told me that existing application will require "disconnecting...".

How do I make sure the GPRS connection always stays on? I like the ability of always ON so I can use the IM application to chat.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:20 PM

Re: How do you make GPRS stays ON all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior2000
In my previous phone, the T68, I used to be able to connect to the Net via GPRS and LEAVE the connection ON. As a matter of fact, after WAP browsing and quiting from the WAP browser back to the menu, T68 will ask if connection should "..remain".

However in the 7650, everytime I quite from the WAP browser / Mailbox (email), it always told me that existing application will require "disconnecting...".

How do I make sure the GPRS connection always stays on? I like the ability of always ON so I can use the IM application to chat.
menu - tools - settings - change "GPRS connection" to "when available"

if worked under the signal strength bar there should be a "G"

NTN
Dave

Old 11-08-2002, 08:31 PM

Re: How do you make GPRS stays ON all the time?

Quote:

So don't close the browser/e-mail box... Leave the application running in the background -> the connection is not closed. That is what multitasking is for.

Old 12-08-2002, 01:45 PM

lanwarrior2000 is on a distinguished road
Hello Guest,

The option you mentioned only shows that GPRS is available, but doesn't mean that the GPRS Internet connection is always ON. After setting up GPRS to always "When Available", connection to WAP / email still require a "connection" to be made.

Hello Zark,

Sure, that's what multitasking is. But that's what eats up memory. Don't you learn that by using Windows? More thread running, more data stored in memory, less memory available.

Old 12-08-2002, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Hello Guest,

The option you mentioned only shows that GPRS is available, but doesn't mean that the GPRS Internet connection is always ON. After setting up GPRS to always "When Available", connection to WAP / email still require a "connection" to be made.

Hello Zark,

Sure, that's what multitasking is. But that's what eats up memory. Don't you learn that by using Windows? More thread running, more data stored in memory, less memory available.
There is no other way than leave the application using the connection open to have the GPRS connection left open. I haven't run into any RAM issues (yet) even if I leave e.g. e-mail/WAP running in the background.

Actually there is one app that seems to need heaps of RAM and that is the "Aikaspektri" demo. For that I need to boot the phone and have no other programs running, but for basic multitasking usage (messaging, WAP, calendar, games) there hasn't been "Out of memory" yet.

Old 02-07-2003, 11:22 AM

stripped b.fly is on a distinguished road
hi..

dont close the application, just leave it running, press the menu key,then exit and u'll be on the main display.. then if u want to go back to the previous application ur using long-press the menu key and u'll see the app is there just click on the icon.. hope this'll help.. but i guess ur problem has been solved now hehe