View Single Post

Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
However, if today's high-end is tomorrow's budget model, I see no reason why Android 2.1 or even 1.6 couldn't thrive in the budget world.

Also, the Betamax/JVC argument doesn't really hold water. The car market seems to be a better analogy for the wireless devices market. Companies like BMW thrive even though they don't compete in the low-end ranges. Even Porsche would still be independent if it didn't try to acquire VW. Apple here is the BMW of the market. Nokia for many years looked like the Toyota of the group (dominant in all sectors), though its stumbles of late make that less apt (though perhaps in light of Toyota's recent issues, maybe it is on point). Google is like the Tata Motors, in that it is the upstart that is making rapid gains.
BMW make the 116i and the mini which are competitive at the low end. They are also in all sectors except supercar, with a massive choice of different products. Unlike Apple who make one product with a choice of colour and storage capacity. If Betamax doesn't hold water, the BMW analogy is a wire shopping basket.

Google is like an independent car designer not manufacturer having produced a chassis and allowing other makers to use it to base their own vehicles on. Tata usually get in their designs from such people.

I don't think there is a business model like Apple in any industry. Certainly there is no industry car maker that concentrates all their efforts on a single product and then sells it mass market so anyone can have one, and then supports the product with after-market services.