View Single Post

Old 13-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I can't think of any modern smartphone that has shipped completely problem free (it varies of course).

I guess I should have made it clearer that this was all predicated on the assumption people were aware of the upcoming UI changes. Marko Marko Ahtisaari suggested, as many other have, that Symbian^3 is the intermediate step. The 'better' UI starts with MeeGo and Symbian^4.

The excitement in using the UI is an interesting one - I'm not sure this is always a positive characteristic - usability and efficiency are important (would argue they are basis for RIM's success for example).

To me the most telling part of the session was the comment on touch UIs being immersive, head down experiences. This trend is counter-intuitive to how we use mobile devices - we want to look up and be in the world as we use them - if Nokia can solve this then I think that's the next UI revolution for touch...

From an entirely personal point of view - he is definitely one of Nokia's more engaging spokespeople (especially given it is a relatively hard topic to talk about).

Anyway hope you enjoyed the article - not the easy one to right because understandable this is largely conceptual / conversational at the moment.