View Single Post

Old 02-12-2009, 03:21 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Its nice to see some direction coming from Nokia - possibly too late though? They need to get these products out asap, but preferably not with the bugs that generally plague S60 handsets.

They also need to stop releasing mildly differing variants on devices as well - how many N series variants do they really need to release? The Mini shows that they got it wrong with the N97, but having both on the market just feeds the potential confusion.

They really only need a few form factors - candy bar, slider, touch screen and touch screen with physical keyboard.

Currently they have :
N97, N97 Mini, 6760 (fugly)
Slide : N96, N86, N85, 6710, 6210
Touch only : 5800, 5530, X6
Candybar : N79, 5730, 5630, 6720

Qwerty : E72, E71, E63
T9/qwerty : E75, E55, E52, E51
Slider : E66

So thats up to 5 phones occupying overlapping market segments. On each one they seem to start the firmware development from scatch and introduce a totally new series of bugs that didn't exist previously.

They DESPARATELY need to rationalise their product range, concentrate on quality of the software on the devices, test them thoroughly prior to release (which they haven't done on S60 for what, 3 or 4 years now?)

Hopefully with Symbian^3/4 being developed "outside" of Nokia, it should improve quality, but no doubt its going to be butchered for every phone that they bring to market.

I guess I've been a bit of a Nokia fanboi at times, but the shortcomings of their devices is getting way too painful to bear now. I get wound up by shortcomings in application testing, and Nokias apparent decision to beta test products by asking people to buy them is utterly inexcusable.