View Single Post

Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I do know what you mean, but I think you have to recognise that they are more different you may realise. The materials of the N97 feel a lot more like a high-end device (though this is a matter of taste). I also would not under estimate the form factor difference - they keyboard makes it a very much more flexible and capable device. Then there's the 5 megapixel camera, bigger screen size, FM transmitter, extra 40 GB of memory and multimedia software extras. And it runs a faster processor. Has N-Gage etc etc.

I think a lot of this is to do with the fact that the 5800 is out now... I mean I might compare the 6220 or even the 6120 to say the N95 8GB and that would be a valid comparison to 5800 to N97.... However its different this time because the 5800 is the only S60 5th Edition device. Would something like the 6220 have sold like hot cakes if it came out before the N95? Its not quite a valid comparison, but hopefully you take the point.

Yes early adopters may stick with the 5800, but honestly I'm not sure how many people that would apply to. This is the sort of person who will happily buy the 5800 SIM free and then use their contract to get an N97.

That said the price point will be very interesting, but I reckon market segmentation will win out. However I do think the 5800 might driver greater overall sales. In others words it will expand Nokia's addressable market for smartphones.