All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia N95 and N95 8GB (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Do i need to charge n95 battery for 16 hours? (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63534)

alldayidream 09-08-2007 11:00 AM

Do i need to charge n95 battery for 16 hours?
 
N95 arrived this morning, was just wondering do i need to charge n95 battery for 16 hours?

if so, can i use the phone during this time or is it best to leave it charging?
thanks
Jonathan

davyjones 09-08-2007 11:13 AM

charged mine for 5 hours first time turned off.
all the power to the battery.
heard its recomended to do so.

Pawlee 09-08-2007 11:31 AM

roflmao the new phone anxiousness... i find most phones come charged, but sometimes not fully charged... especially seein as nseries can operate without a sim in them, so that means without your contract they cant BUST the phone out in the shop for you and show you whats what, and i assume most of the time they ready the phone for that even if it is an online shop they probably use the same units...

you wouldnt have to do 16 hours anyways, charges never take 16 hours... the batteries are suprisingly quick at chargin, but also suprisingly quick at rinsin the battery durin use

seki 09-08-2007 11:32 AM

You want/need to use the phone ..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alldayidream (Post 332095)
N95 arrived this morning, was just wondering do i need to charge n95 battery for 16 hours?

if so, can i use the phone during this time or is it best to leave it charging?
thanks
Jonathan

then use it .. best plan keep the battery charged as much as possible.:)

alldayidream 09-08-2007 11:37 AM

but some people have told me that it needs a 16 hour charge for the first time...is this true?

seki 09-08-2007 11:47 AM

not in my experience
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alldayidream (Post 332103)
but some people have told me that it needs a 16 hour charge for the first time...is this true?

.. the battery does improve over the first week or so .. but some testers report better battery life IF its kept well charged. I'm no chemist, so I leave the science to others.
I get several days without a charge - still these days I have a car charger too.:)

alldayidream 09-08-2007 11:52 AM

ok, your battery life at the moment seems decent...so first charge, what did you do? and did you use it throughout the first time you charged it?

davyjones 09-08-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seki (Post 332107)
.
I get several days without a charge too.:)

am dying to know how you manage to keep it alive for "serveral days"
have made almost 1 day without any bars at the battery start to drop, then when they start to do it goes fast, so about 2 days without charging and with no use at all.

ukmic 09-08-2007 01:38 PM

When I first got mine, I think I kept it on charge for about 3 hours, Not had a hiccup myself and have had it a few months now. To be honest I dont think it makes much of a difference and the batteries are not exactly expensive if you do get a crap battery.

sirius-c 09-08-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alldayidream (Post 332103)
but some people have told me that it needs a 16 hour charge for the first time...is this true?

This is utter non-sense with the new Lithium Ion Batteries.
It just simply does not apply like it did to the older type batteries,

although.... never let a Lithium Ion battery go for too long without a charge or completely discharge,
it kills the chemicles inside and ultimately the battery.
I learned this the hard way with my sony handy cam, I left it in the attic for over a year,
the battery obviously discharged itself over this time and now the battery wont charge or hold a charge
new battery was £80 odd quid at the time

try reading this
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

http://ww.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm


download this from my ftp.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sirius-c/Battery.pdf
checkout page 2, the bit titled 'What if a battery is inadvertently overcharged?'

Arny 09-08-2007 06:53 PM

I am no expert but when I got my N95 I did quite a lot of research on this issue.

My understanding is that the 16hr charge does not apply to Li-Ion batteries and really only applies to older technology that has a memory effect.

It is true that if Li-Ion batteries discharge too much they will be permanently damaged but in good quality batteries such as Nokia branded ones there is circuitry that prevents this happening and shuts the battery down before the voltage gets too low.

I understand the recommendation for Li-Ion batteries is charge when ever you want and as often as you want. Neither do you have to fully charge nor fully discharge to get the best performance. They have no memory effect.

I know that there is much confusion over this issue and I am sure that many reading this will disagree but that is my understanding.

Karlo_N80ie 10-08-2007 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arny (Post 332199)
I am no expert but when I got my N95 I did quite a lot of research on this issue.

My understanding is that the 16hr charge does not apply to Li-Ion batteries and really only applies to older technology that has a memory effect.

It is true that if Li-Ion batteries discharge too much they will be permanently damaged but in good quality batteries such as Nokia branded ones there is circuitry that prevents this happening and shuts the battery down before the voltage gets too low.

I understand the recommendation for Li-Ion batteries is charge when ever you want and as often as you want. Neither do you have to fully charge nor fully discharge to get the best performance. They have no memory effect.

I know that there is much confusion over this issue and I am sure that many reading this will disagree but that is my understanding.

i second this one... lithium batterries are great for such devices because of the charge/discharge flexibility of this chemical. mine only needs an hour to charge fully and i get a day and a half use out of it. i've owned my n95 for 3 weeks now

pa49 10-08-2007 01:53 PM

I am really pleased to see all the good advice posted as for too long alot of bad information and practice has been put about!
Keep your battery topped up as often as you can and as sirious-c said avoid a discharge.
They will improve in performance for the first couple of weeks (the 16 hour charge thing, although not necessary, will give them a good "kick start") but with topping up you will achieve this anyway.:icon14:


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.