All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Links of Interest (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Looking ahead to SEE 2009 (the annual Symbian smartphone show) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88415)

slitchfield 22-09-2009 11:24 AM

Looking ahead to SEE 2009 (the annual Symbian smartphone show)

Yes, another year has passed and the annual Symbian bash is upon us. But with a slight twist, with the Symbian Foundation now well established and with the whole ecosystem, like much of the rest of the mobile industry, definitely in something of a state of flux. SEE (Symbian Exchange and Exposition) 2009 is free to attend and easy to get to. But what's on offer this year, what should you look out for? Steve Litchfield provides a few pointers...

Read on in the full article.

Steve_R 22-09-2009 11:34 AM

Looking forward to seeing you guys there!:icon14:

Unregistered 22-09-2009 11:36 AM

"Interestingly, there's no single Nokia stand - but you'll find Nokia on a number of other stands, helping out and showing hardware."
According to link in the article Nokia has a stand - stand number 13.

Unregistered 22-09-2009 11:38 AM

You guys in Europe are lucky :) We don't get anything fun like this in Australia :(

slitchfield 22-09-2009 11:56 AM

No, that's Forum Nokia..... It does get confusing, Nokia has fingers in so many pies 8-)

Unregistered 22-09-2009 12:22 PM

the registration form looks very business orrientated do u need to be part of a business to get in or can u generate a false business name etc

Unregistered 22-09-2009 12:47 PM

It's a community this time!

Steve, I think you're missing part of the point with the difference between SEE and Smartphone Show. This time it's not only about us (Symbian) and our corporate members announcing news, it's just as much about the community getting a chance to meet us and influence where we are going.

Something new that I think has gotten too little press is the BoF sessions: http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...Fs_at_SEE_2009

These BoFs are open for anyone to come and attend. Shout at a package owner for not implementing something that should have been there 4 years ago, suggest new features, try things that are in the lab, tell us why feature X is so much better in Android, discuss where we should be going, etc.

The list is far from complete at the moment, but I think this could be one of the more interesting parts of SEE2009.

slitchfield 22-09-2009 12:49 PM

Oh, anyone can get in - honest! If the form insists on a company name and you don't want to put your employer, just put in your name again?

Unregistered 22-09-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 439050)
You guys in Europe are lucky :) We don't get anything fun like this in Australia :(

As this event is being held at Earls Court, it virtually IS Australia, in everything but location.

slitchfield 22-09-2009 01:14 PM

Thanks for the BoF plug - well, I guess you already covered it. BoF wasn't even mentioned, as far as I saw, on any of your SEE leaflets/web pages, so you can't blame me for not knowing about it. Maybe you could tell the event organisers?

cirrus 22-09-2009 01:45 PM

Looking forward to the AAS pub meet!

Hopefully the BoFs will be good. I'm actually involved with the multimedia one, so if you're a developer interested in the internals of Symbian's multimedia systems please swing by and say hello!

UKJeeper 22-09-2009 02:59 PM

Signed up. Hope to put some faces to names...

viipottaja 22-09-2009 03:30 PM

Hopefully we'll see more of what SF^2 is actually about in real terms (if anything other than S60v5 ;)).

lithgow 23-09-2009 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 439066)
As this event is being held at Earls Court, it virtually IS Australia, in everything but location.

I'd heard that said of Earl's Court, but when we stayed there (and exhibited at the show last year -- you can see us on the left of the first show floor photo :) ) we didn't see a single fellow Australian (well, around Earl's Court, anyway). Or maybe they'd all become pale and completely Londonish. ;)

I think the place has moved on from that reputation. There were more Filipinos there last year.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to enjoying the show without the pressure of having to exhibit.

Unregistered 16-10-2009 10:03 PM

This is my first time at SEE .. never been to Smartphone show..

Was clueless what to do there and this article is like hitting a jackpot !

I own you guys a beer :D