All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   N97 Software Updates (2 new) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91665)

rdcinhou 19-12-2009 07:11 PM

N97 Software Updates (2 new)

All...

Check your software updates...two (2) new ones:

1. MfE (Mail for Exchange) - update for the Microsoft Exchange email plug-in for the Messaging application. I use the heck out this app!

2. Memory Organiser - supposedly frees up more RAM or C: drive memory.

There's also some rumblings about a v2.1 firmware being due out shortly.

I'll post back when I see what's in these updates!

rdcinhou 19-12-2009 09:34 PM

You'll definitely be wanting to run the Memory Organizer update...I can't see that I have more memory, but my menus are running about 75% faster than they were before making the phone a lot more responsive.

The app must uninstall itself after it runs, or appears to do so as it doesn't show in the Application Manager under Installed Applications.

Individual applications load about the same speed as the did before, so this must just work at the OS level.

I can't see any difference (other than speed) with the MfE update. I'll try to find any update notes to see if they list any fixes or enhancements (plenty of room for those!).

Digi 19-12-2009 11:23 PM

I have not noticed any improved RAM performance but did free up 4MB on C:

ironass 20-12-2009 12:55 AM

Thanks rdcinhou for the "heads up" on the Memory Organiser.

Freed up about 4MB on C: drive but has definitely speeded the phones OS up. Menus are a lot quicker now.

Seems to close down things like Speed Dial properly rather than leaving it open and using RAM.

After running the prog it seems to have uninstalled itself.

rdcinhou 20-12-2009 05:22 AM

MfE updates to version 2.09(206).

Can't seem to find any Release Notes for this version on the Nokia website--last release notes posted is for 2.09(175).

The MfE Users Guide has a date though of 18-Dec-09, so there might be something new in the guide. I did a quick scan through but didn't find anything. I'll try to do a comparison with the previous guide later.

Don't notice anything new in the MfE Messaging plug-in so far, but things seem to be working just slightly snappier.

ps. It appears that you need to reboot after the updates...I started getting an error saying that my WiFi was connected when it wasn't so I rebooted.

I think it's a good idea to reboot after any updates just-in-case.

mcpezza 20-12-2009 12:14 PM

Hi Ricky.

The memory update certainly works. My RAM has improved from 74% used to 65%. Menus are a little quicker as reported..

Zyyb 20-12-2009 01:42 PM

I dont got any updates :-(

boothy 20-12-2009 04:55 PM

No updates here either

alexp86 20-12-2009 07:02 PM

The memory update seemed to brick my phone (just got a white screen with Nokia logo when I reset it) and I had to do a hard reset to get it back...would recommend doing a back up...

rdcinhou 21-12-2009 11:18 PM

In my original post, I thought that the Memory Organizer app removed itself from memory (run once and auto-uninstall).

It doesn't.

The program is in the Application Manager->Installed Application list as:

Reorganizer.

A shortcut will appear in your applications as well.

I guess that we're supposed to run it again and again whenever the N97 gets sluggish?

mcpezza 21-12-2009 11:46 PM

Just tried running it again from the App menu. It did a quick shuffle and uninstalled itself.

jmcgrath 22-12-2009 09:04 AM

Does this update come via PC suite or OTA? I've checked using the menu from *#0000# and I got nothing. I'm running an unlocked Euro 1 code.

Thanks,

John

ironass 22-12-2009 11:43 AM

It's an OTA (Over the Air) update via "SW update" in Applications usually.

Zyyb 22-12-2009 01:21 PM

Running V20.0.019 on black Q1 Euro code

I'm getting no OTA updates :-S

nbriscoeuk 22-12-2009 01:29 PM

Ditto here, on a VF UK branded phone. I should say, however, that I did get a second memory manager upgrade months ago, so its possible (although it seems unlikely) that the VF UK code had it early.

Regards
Neil