All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Symbian^3 phones (N8, C7, C6-01, E7-00) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Can't connect to wireless network on N8 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97627)

mrochester 24-12-2010 07:09 PM

Can't connect to wireless network on N8

Hi all

My sister has an N8 that refuses to connect to her home wifi connection. It finds the wifi and asks for the password, then when connecting it comes up with a message saying 'connection failed, WLAN not found'. I'm stuck and have no idea where to go since an iPhone 4 has no issue connecting to the same wifi connection.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael.

Wishmaker 24-12-2010 10:46 PM

I have the same thing with my Nokia N8. It takes many attempts and when it finally connects, it crashes my wifi. Huge issues on Symbian^3!! Wait for the Nokia FW update, do not hard reset or anything.

seki 25-12-2010 09:46 AM

I had the same issue

I re flashed the firmware and that fixed it ..

YMMV .. Good Luck!

mrochester 26-12-2010 09:51 AM

This is just silly; the phone is barely two months old and it's already broken enough to require a reset? I'll certainly suggest it to my sister but I think she'll find a reset too much hassle and will just have to live with broken wifi. I regret the day I recommended the N8 to her now, it's been nothing but frustration since she got it. I can appreciate why Nokia are going down the pan when it comes to highend smartphones!

Wishmaker 27-12-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrochester (Post 479169)
This is just silly; the phone is barely two months old and it's already broken enough to require a reset? I'll certainly suggest it to my sister but I think she'll find a reset too much hassle and will just have to live with broken wifi. I regret the day I recommended the N8 to her now, it's been nothing but frustration since she got it. I can appreciate why Nokia are going down the pan when it comes to highend smartphones!

I think silly is what is happening to me. Making the actual connection to the hotspot and then crashing the whole wireless network. That is silly!!! :icon13::icon13:

strcmp 30-12-2010 01:10 AM

Mine is the exact opposite. My iPod Touch crashes my wifi within 30s of connection but all my Nokias are fine.

What access point do you have? Mine's a Netgear DG834PN, bought to replace a Linksys WEP11 which exhibited the same thing with the iPod touch.

ClockworkZombie 30-12-2010 10:49 AM

I use a Dlink G604t wireless modem and no problems with my ipad or N95. My N8 arrives next week and I shall let you know what happens.

Wishmaker 30-12-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strcmp (Post 479274)
Mine is the exact opposite. My iPod Touch crashes my wifi within 30s of connection but all my Nokias are fine.

What access point do you have? Mine's a Netgear DG834PN, bought to replace a Linksys WEP11 which exhibited the same thing with the iPod touch.

I fixed my problem by adding a second NETGEAR router. I am running a draft n router just for my Nokia N8. The privilege :D:D:D! Everything works fine.

izikawa 30-12-2010 09:38 PM

Hi there,

Like a lot of current problems with the N8, it looks like the buggy software is often to blame. I had a similar problem with Wi-fi (would connect, but connection would drop or was unreliable). Try this:

go to : Settings/Connectivity/WLAN/Options (at the bottom). Select Settings (again!). Turn on "Show WLAN availability" and then turn OFF Power Saving.

I did that and suddenly things were working much better.

Wishmaker 30-12-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izikawa (Post 479293)
Hi there,

Like a lot of current problems with the N8, it looks like the buggy software is often to blame. I had a similar problem with Wi-fi (would connect, but connection would drop or was unreliable). Try this:

go to : Settings/Connectivity/WLAN/Options (at the bottom). Select Settings (again!). Turn on "Show WLAN availability" and then turn OFF Power Saving.

I did that and suddenly things were working much better.

That did not work for me that is why I had to hook up a second router. :icon13:

izikawa 30-12-2010 11:19 PM

fair enough. In any case, I hope the next major update from Nokia fixes a lot of the problems - especially with Web Browser.

ClockworkZombie 06-01-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClockworkZombie (Post 479288)
I use a Dlink G604t wireless modem and no problems with my ipad or N95. My N8 arrives next week and I shall let you know what happens.

My N8 arrived this morning and I have connected to my wireless network at home, the DLINK and to my Apple base station at work with no problems.

I used youtube to test the connection.