All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Symbian OS News (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The world's going megapixel CRAZY and I feel like crying (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87656)

Unregistered 04-09-2009 11:00 AM

The fact that higher megapixel compact cameras that are marketed to please the ignorant are producing lower quality images than their predecessors is well know already in the digital camera world. Even the higher end Canon C9, G10 etc sufered from this. Just check their reviews.

But the average buyer just imagines that the picture he takes with his little plastic lens will blow up to poster size. LOL! I will be OK if you view it from 50 metres!

Tzer2 04-09-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

The fact that higher megapixel compact cameras that are marketed to please the ignorant are producing lower quality images than their predecessors is well know already in the digital camera world
It's because numbers are quick and easy to digest. People like to think "X is higher so it must be better!".

If the industry could agree to a formula for a number that includes image quality instead of just a pixel count, that would be a much better figure to provide than megapixels because it would provide a more useful guide to how good a camera actually is.

Unless someone comes up with an industry-wide quality number, most consumers will default to the megapixel count. Most camera users don't care about camera technology enough to look into its subtleties.

ericklamothe 04-09-2009 12:32 PM

Ignorance in imaging on a mobile device

I agree completely with the arguments put forward in this article.

Practically all mobile devices lack optical zoom and lack a decent size sensor commensurate with the level of resolution that the devices claim to have. This does not mean that mobile devices such as the N86MP, etc are not competent and convenient devices for imaging. They should however be viewed as complementary to dedicated digital cameras and camcorders, not alternatives. Viewed in this light, they are a welcome addition to the technology eco-system.

The megapixel craze is a very puzzling one and I agree the points made about unless needed to carry out massive prints is it really necessary to have that level of detail which can translate into noise in low light conditions.

I personally have taken some very good shots with the 3.2 megapixel Nokia5800, N78 and Nokia 6500 Slide. And to be honest for the purposes of sharing and use online the pictures are absolutely fantastic particularly on clear day. I am sure 8 megapixel units are good, etc. but if you regard mobile devices as complementing rather than substituting digital cameras and camcorders, 3 and 5 megapixel units are sufficient.

Savvy buyers will of course benefit from all this megapixel craze as the price of competent 5 megapixel devices has dropped as a result of the arrival of the 8 and soon 12 megapixel units. But seriously, even compact digital camera manufacturers, as Olympus recently mentioned, are regarding 12 megapixels as the ceiling and are focusing on lens quality and image processing.

Letīs hope sanity returns to the mobile device market!

Unregistered 04-09-2009 02:21 PM

Steve your point is not well taken.

A camera phone capable of taking 12MP photo doesn't necessarily mean a user have to take 12MP all the time.

The user can set it to maybe 5MP for normal usage which allow them to better share and store photos.

And then when the time comes, the user may want to set it to 12MP to really make a poster.

Unregistered 04-09-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 436292)
And then when the time comes, the user may want to set it to 12MP to really make a poster.

They won't get a poster because they have a very limited camera, not a DSLR. 12MP won't help.

If you wan't a poster get a real camera.

Unregistered 04-09-2009 05:01 PM

The N82 is becoming vastly overrated at just 8mp, the only reason why people are not upgrading to other phones with xenon is due to blind brand loyalty.
The Xenon argument is getting boring now. Just how many photos do these people take in low light? Do they live in the arctic circle or something?

I see the goalposts have shifted now as well concerning the flash. Now xenon flash owners have stepped up to complain about movement in photos on led equipped phones. What about movement in videos with the N82 in low light? Not an issue eh? Surprise!

Unregistered 04-09-2009 05:04 PM

uteri rohdenburg

Of course, I meant the N82 at 5mp.

Super Chimp 04-09-2009 06:41 PM

The picture examples I have seen from actual users & not from professional reviews posted about the place for the Pixon 12 look pretty impressive to me. Whether this is purely down to the megapixel count or the other features added in that it shares with the N86 it's obviously hard to say. But needlessly knocking a device without seemingly even examining the results it produces seems a pretty low blow to me.

stuclark your wrong about there not being another 12Mp device this year or have you forgotten LG as people usual seem to do. Their new 12Mp device should see itself at least announced before the end of this year.

Unregistered 04-09-2009 06:47 PM

Why are you irritated by the MP race?
Because Nokia is not even in it. That's why!
Fanboy, it wasn't long ago that you were rubbing in people's faces how many MPs you N95 had.

Unregistered 04-09-2009 06:58 PM

12 mega-pixel camera mobiles

Samsung seem to trying push things further with the 12 megapixel camera mobile,but they do not seem to realise this type drains the batteries quicker, as the i8510 there 8 mega-pixel one they released i tried it an was amazed how quick the battery drained out using the camera an there tocco ultra does the same thing,o.k we want better camera functions on mobiles but if its got no battery to back the camera up,the cost of buying an running any mobile will turn out very expensive indeed,hope we do get better mobile released from Nokia as the N86 was a cheap an not very outstanding mobile by just upgrading the N85 but buttons an speakers let the N86 down

Unregistered 04-09-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 436373)
Fanboy, it wasn't long ago that you were rubbing in people's faces how many MPs you N95 had.

Duh! 5MP is an appropriate MP count for this size of sensor.

cooli 04-09-2009 09:54 PM

Steve, there is a light at the end of the tunnel ;-)

-> http://www.mondaynote.com/2009/08/23...egapixel-wars/

Tzer2 05-09-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 436373)

Maybe you might want to try actually reading this site regularly instead of doing hit-and-run troll attacks. The stuff you're writing is amateurish, might as well say "your mother smells".

Is this site called All About Nokia? No, it's All About Symbian.

When Samsung's Symbian-based Innov8 with its eight megapixel sensor came out AAS was just as excited about that as any Nokia model and we covered it. We're just as excited about Sony Ericsson's upcoming 12 megapixel Satio/Idou because it too is Symbian-based. See the connection here?

As for calling Steve a Nokia fanboy, you clearly haven't seen his multi-format Phones show or read his articles on All About iPhone.

Tzer2 05-09-2009 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericklamothe (Post 436259)
even compact digital camera manufacturers, as Olympus recently mentioned, are regarding 12 megapixels as the ceiling and are focusing on lens quality and image processing.

Definitely, and a further ceiling would be when digital is the same resolution as film. No ordinary user could possibly want more detail than that.

From what I understand, for a digital camera to show as much detail as an average film camera it would have to be around 20 megapixels, which isn't a million miles from 12 mp and for almost all practical purposes they're the same.

It's like when colour screens on phones, there were "battles" over who had the most colours. By the time devices reached the hundreds of thousands, most people just totally gave up following it because the differences were invisible.

maartenmk 05-09-2009 10:16 AM

Not exactly a cry in the wilderness after all, as it seems I am about the only one to disagree here;
People have been saying the extra megapixels on phone cameras don't help , ever since two/three MP cameras started to appear, perhaps sooner. The line of what's considered useful just seems to shift.
And looking at the best camera phones out there at the moment, there is definitely a correlation between quality and MPs. Pixon and SE Satio, each at 12 MP, seem to be the best, closely followed by I8910 and N86, at 8 MP. This may have nothing to do with the amount of megapixels, but I don't have any real reason to think that, except for theories about noise levels and interference.
There certainly is too much noise in camera phone pictures overall. But zooming to 100%, the amount of noise on the I8910 doesn't seem to be any higher than on my N82, on the contrary.

Maybe it only helps a few percent in the quality. But I'd take them. The file size isn't really that much of an issue with 16 or 32 GB storage. Camera speed is, that's true. But you always have the option of switching to 3 or 5MP if needed.