All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia N95 and N95 8GB (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   VoIP on N95 - Tell me about it and convince me. (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72260)

lovesign 04-05-2008 01:35 PM

VoIP on N95 - Tell me about it and convince me.

Ok, I'm not really very knowledgable about VoIP on my N95. Not so much setting it up but more about it's advantages to me in terms of saving money by comparison to what I already pay for.

I currently have a complete telecoms package from Orange UK. I have Orange Home Max which gives me 2 lines (1 landline, 1VoIP) over my broadband connection as well as 8Mbit DSL. This should normally cost 24 per month (includes line rental - no more payments to BT ! ;) ) but I get it for 15 per month because I have an Orange mobile contract (Canary 40) @ 40 per month. This contract gives me 850 minutes xnet + 300 texts, capped net usage on weekdays (unlimited for 1.50) and I pay 5 for unlimited evening and weekend data.

So, my Orange Home Max package gives me a VoIP "line" which gives me free UK landline calls 24/7, free international calls to 30 countries 24/7 and free calls to Orange mobiles. I also keep my old BT landline which I get free evening and weekend UK calls. So, I already get the benefit of VoIP savings on this package, but what, if any, benefit would I get by using a service like Skype or Truphone on my N95 ? When I'm at home, I can make all my calls from my VoIP "landline" for free, so the only real advantage I can see for me is when I'm out and about with my N95, if I'm within reach of a WiFi hotspot, I could make free or very cheap calls. Considering that most WiFi hotspots require a payment, it kind of negates the benefit.

So, all I'm asking is for some VoIP users to tell me if I would benefit from using something on my N95 or am I unlikely to see any benefit over and above what I already have.

Cheers :)

RogerPodacter 05-05-2008 12:02 AM

i dont know if this applies to you in the UK. but here in the USA, i can make the VOIP calls directly over the cellular data 3G network. i have an unlimited data plan for 15 dollars. so i can technically make free VOIP calls anywhere i have a cell signal. this is because they dont block the data traffic. i dont know if its the same in UK. there was taht lawsuit that truphone voip won against one of the carriers....

chrsfrwll 05-05-2008 06:47 AM

another point to consider is; does your orange plan allow you to make free international calls, something I benefit from with Truphone at the moment (for another couple of months at least, then it's chargeable, but at considerably less than BT). Also, roaming, when abroad. Again, voip calls would work out cheaper than your Orange plan. Of course, all this is moot if you don't make overseas calls or travel. ;) But I know what you mean re trying to understand a need. I have a good package with T-Mobile and BT Broadband and don't really need another "free" call option. But it does come in handy on the odd occasion.

I think the likes of Truphone are for those considerably younger than me who have loads more contacts all using Nokia phones and spend all day every day phoning each other. Then, as Truphone is always free Truphone to Truphone, it makes sense.

md27514 05-05-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovesign (Post 375680)
I have an Orange mobile contract (Canary 40) @ 40 per month. This contract gives me 850 minutes xnet + 300 texts, capped net usage on weekdays (unlimited for 1.50) and I pay 5 for unlimited evening and weekend data.

So, all I'm asking is for some VoIP users to tell me if I would benefit from using something on my N95 or am I unlikely to see any benefit over and above what I already have.

Look, if you are paying 40 a month and are happy about it, then it's hard to convince you you need voip. Thanks to voip on my N95 I pay less than 40 in a year....and I'm calling a lot.

lovesign 05-05-2008 10:43 AM

Well, thanks for all the comments :)

As I said, International calls for me are free to the top 30 countries (US/Oz/NZ/Can/Mainland EU) so that's not an issue. My 40 per month contract has lots built in that I rarely use up and my UK landline calls are all free from my home VoIP service, so it would seem the only real advantage to me would be to have VoIP on my N95 if I went roaming internationally, which I currently do very little of.

I signed up with Truphone, installed the app and didn't like the way it took over my phone. I know you can turn the auto start off, but I have a thing about apps telling me what to do as opposed to the other way round.

I'll keep the account and re-install the app should I ever need it, but with your comments and the stuff I found out, I think VoIP on my mobile is not really necessary for me right now. However, the VoIP I have on my landline has saved me a fortune already and will continue to do so. It may however be an option when my current contract runs out ;)

Thanks again :)

RogerPodacter 05-05-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovesign (Post 375737)
Well, thanks for all the comments :)

As I said, International calls for me are free to the top 30 countries (US/Oz/NZ/Can/Mainland EU) so that's not an issue. My 40 per month contract has lots built in that I rarely use up and my UK landline calls are all free from my home VoIP service, so it would seem the only real advantage to me would be to have VoIP on my N95 if I went roaming internationally, which I currently do very little of.

I signed up with Truphone, installed the app and didn't like the way it took over my phone. I know you can turn the auto start off, but I have a thing about apps telling me what to do as opposed to the other way round.

I'll keep the account and re-install the app should I ever need it, but with your comments and the stuff I found out, I think VoIP on my mobile is not really necessary for me right now. However, the VoIP I have on my landline has saved me a fortune already and will continue to do so. It may however be an option when my current contract runs out ;)

Thanks again :)

truphone app is very intrusive. to get around this, once you install truphone, you immediately REMOVE the app. all truphone does is configure the built in VOIP app. so uninstall truphone, then to use your truphone account go into the settings folder and open INTERNET TELEPHONE app. truphone will still be setup in this. i always get rid of the truphone app as soon as i install it.