All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nokia strike a blow for reasonably priced smartphones (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94365)

buster 15-04-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 463399)
The actual quote is:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Abraham Lincoln.

I guess you are both fools?

Err, the clue was in the word "paraphrase"... now who's a fool?

Unregistered 15-04-2010 11:39 AM

to all who want HIGH END phones. can you PAY your high end phones IN COLD CASH UPFRONT? I may be using "low end" nokia n73 but I PAID FOR IT IN COLD CASH, no subsidy from carriers no credit card. HA HA HA HA. PRETENDING TO BE THERE BUT BORROWING TOMMORROW TO SPEND TODAY . . .

Unregistered 15-04-2010 11:45 AM

what high end phones

what high end phones are you all DEMANDING. . . can you all AFFORD TO PAY HIGH END PHONES IN COLD CASH? OR JUST BORROWING TOMMOROW TO SPEND TODAY . . . GO NOKIA for low end phones

Unregistered 15-04-2010 05:28 PM

Nokia

People will pull these phones down because of the Plastic Fascias that Nokia use,Nokia have always used the refurbish materials on there mobiles.making the value of the mobiles way below par,o.k the features might be o.k,but thats that does not seem to bother alot of people just the looks,Wish that Nokia would change the materials use on it High end phones,but not anything new yet from Nokia as the N8 as been delayed now

dardano 16-04-2010 11:18 PM

Nokia is in noman's land right now! They are really losing it and bleeding on all ends. Their entire product line is garbage, their last good phone was the E71 two years ago and they even failed to improve upon that with the E72 release. (obviously i like qwerty phones) See what Nokia should have done was come out with a Palm Pre/Pixi type of product only build on E-series quality and feature reach.. oh wait they only lack a proper OS for that. Which is my point, they don't have a good enough OS at this day and age! I actually like the non touch version of Symbian S60 its practical but we're in 2010 and I want to be able to also touch the screen by now in addition to my qwerty keyboard ;) I'm not sure about this whole Symbian 3 or 4 thing but I highly doubt it will be better than webOS let alone the iPhone OS! Hey even the Pixi looks more appealing than the E72! (obviously not feature wise) What does that tell you? Maybe they should buy Palm and just use their OS. They'd be on par with Apple in an instant and with some quality hardware I bet that would be a hell of a ride!

What does that tell you? It tells you that Nokia has no clue about leading innovation, get real they've lost it long time ago (2007), my gosh does this E5 look ugly hey I dont care if they'd pay me to use this phone I'd still take a pass. They are only riding so well right now because of their past success and global reach, they offer basically garbage throughout their complete lineup and count on loyal customers who are not well informed! They are obviously only gonna be able to ride that train for so long before it'll all come to an end.

oniox 17-04-2010 11:17 AM

Here we go again

Most of you guys just dont get it. Nokia N900 can live with any of the so called high end alternatives. Lets compare N900 with the HTC desire shall we ?

Camera - No contest. 5 MP with Carl zeiss optics and dual led to match and dedicated shutter vs cheap camera with single led which results in washed out pics see gsmarena review

Keyboard - proper hardware keyboard vs none though virtual keyboard of HTC rocks.

TV-Out - N900 has an excellent TV performance vs none

Speaker - N900 has a stereo speaker that is vintage Nokia vs tinny weeny mono speaker.

Hot swappable memory card vs awkward non swappable - must take out battery.

Battery life - N900 has more juice and better power optimized.

TelePhony - you know that Nokia telephony is tight, right ? and wifi range on this is stunning. HTC Desire is no match here.

CPU - The N900 runs slower at 600MhZ but it has a GPU which HTC Desie lacks.

RAM - The N900 goes up to 1GB thanks to Swap memory, HTC is 512 non swap though.

OS - Maemo is full POSIX Linux. I like Android but its no match for Maemo. Maemos visual multitasking is ace. Runs desktop class applications. Its also more 'open'. The apps may not be as slick as the Android ones but most of the ones I have used are sure more advanced.

Screen - N900 is impressive for a resisitve screen, high res, good under sunlight and precise. HTC desire's is better tech but no stylus.

Sure HTC Desire is brilliant (I may get one myyself) and has more apps, probably better user experience etc but to say that nokia is not active in the high end is nonsense as evidenced by the comparison above. No need to join the bash Nokia bandwagon.

thankd

Unregistered 17-04-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oniox (Post 463575)
Most of you guys just dont get it. Nokia N900 can live with any of the so called high end alternatives. Lets compare N900 with the HTC desire shall we ?

Camera - No contest. 5 MP with Carl zeiss optics and dual led to match and dedicated shutter vs cheap camera with single led which results in washed out pics see gsmarena review

Keyboard - proper hardware keyboard vs none though virtual keyboard of HTC rocks.

TV-Out - N900 has an excellent TV performance vs none

Speaker - N900 has a stereo speaker that is vintage Nokia vs tinny weeny mono speaker.

Hot swappable memory card vs awkward non swappable - must take out battery.

Battery life - N900 has more juice and better power optimized.

TelePhony - you know that Nokia telephony is tight, right ? and wifi range on this is stunning. HTC Desire is no match here.

CPU - The N900 runs slower at 600MhZ but it has a GPU which HTC Desie lacks.

RAM - The N900 goes up to 1GB thanks to Swap memory, HTC is 512 non swap though.

OS - Maemo is full POSIX Linux. I like Android but its no match for Maemo. Maemos visual multitasking is ace. Runs desktop class applications. Its also more 'open'. The apps may not be as slick as the Android ones but most of the ones I have used are sure more advanced.

Screen - N900 is impressive for a resisitve screen, high res, good under sunlight and precise. HTC desire's is better tech but no stylus.

Sure HTC Desire is brilliant (I may get one myyself) and has more apps, probably better user experience etc but to say that nokia is not active in the high end is nonsense as evidenced by the comparison above. No need to join the bash Nokia bandwagon.

thankd

Normal human beings aren't interested in all that. "POSIX Linux" ? Whoopee Doo. There aren't enough autistic geeks in the world to provide the market volume for devices like the N900, so it's never going to be the focus.

Unregistered 17-04-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dardano (Post 463555)

What does that tell you? It tells you that Nokia has no clue about leading innovation, get real they've lost it long time ago (2007), my gosh does this E5 look ugly hey I dont care if they'd pay me to use this phone I'd still take a pass. They are only riding so well right now because of their past success and global reach, they offer basically garbage throughout their complete lineup and count on loyal customers who are not well informed! They are obviously only gonna be able to ride that train for so long before it'll all come to an end.

Same old same old waffle. No phone maker has done any leading innovation since Apple in 2007.

Your post is just as uninnovative, we've seen the same stuff from dozens of different posters for month. Nokia are still strong.

Get over it.

buster 17-04-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dardano (Post 463555)

What this tells me is that you have no idea what you're talking about, as do most of the Nokia-bashers, Apple fanboys etc. who post here... You may not like some/any of Nokia's current range, but that hardly makes them garbage; if you can't tell the difference, then I pity you...

Unregistered 17-04-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buster (Post 463583)
What this tells me is that you have no idea what you're talking about, as do most of the Nokia-bashers, Apple fanboys etc. who post here... You may not like some/any of Nokia's current range, but that hardly makes them garbage; if you can't tell the difference, then I pity you...

I agree he was a bit extreme but the bottom line is this. Nokia phones are uninspiring and boring. People complain and gripe about the iPhone and HTC being all flash but so what. I want a phone with some flash, some zing. The iPhone makes you want to do stuff, check email, search this or that. Symbian is simply sleepy-time and no amount of apologies will fix this. The sheer fact that Nokia tried to bolt a crappy Touch UI on top of Symbian and call it new shows their lack of understanding. Love it or hate, the iPhone a a perfect match between the OS and hardware. You can build on either to always increase the usability of the platform. The same can not be said of Symbian OS as it was not built with touch in mind. Again, no amount of apologies can ignore or deny these facts. As it stands, HTC, Android and Apple are making exciting phones that people want because they are not utilitarian phones.

P.S. To the lover of the N900. Get real. Only a geek with no life, no girlfriend, and who lives in their mothers basement could truly love that phone. It is nice but no where near something that an average man on the street would want.

Dazzy 17-04-2010 09:44 PM

I don't own the N900 but once Nokia add some simple userability features to the OS then it could well appeal to the masses. The weight will put of some though.

At the end of the day in terms of features Symbian is way ahead of the other OS's, never mind stability and battery consumption but lacks in the UI department. Symbian^3 will address this and for S60 5th edition users, we all have the option of buying SPB Mobile Shell in the coming months to revitalise the interface. Do a youtube search for videos of the Symbian version. And if anyone believes SPB Mobile Shell won't help then you's are wrong. Alot of people replaced the HTC Sense UI, which is widely regarded as the best front end on Android aswell, in windows mobile with SPB Mobile Shell for the level of customising it offers and I suspect Android users will too when that version arrives.

Android needs another year or so to mature and I can see device manufacturers getting peefed off if a new version is released every few months. Iphone OS has some obvious flaws which any rational person will acknowledge as well as needing a much needed hardware boast. But considering the Ipad was said to have a 1ghz processor but rather it's the same 600mhz as in the iphone but overclocked, do we think there is much chance?

Like it or not but Nokia will make a killing with these phones, maybe not in USA but the rest of the world. I still see more Nokia's amongst all my students than any other brand of phone. With the global economies being the way they are there is alot of people looking to gain a cheap smartphone and that's where these devices will excel.

I for one am not paying ridiculous money for a phone, and until now Android phones and the Iphone were too expensive. You can however pick the Desire up for 350 on PAYG in the UK which is reasonable. And it's not cos I cant afford to spend big money on a phone but choose to spend it on more important things.

Steve, Rafe maybe it's time to disable Anonymous comments on here and getting topics back to Symbian rather than all these petty arguments from people hiding behind the Unregistered tag.

I for one would like to see more features on 5th Edition explained as I have read alot of reviews lately where the reviewer didn't appear to understand how to use the OS properly.