All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nokia Software Update loses Vista support (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72356)

slitchfield 08-05-2008 10:55 AM

Nokia Software Update loses Vista support

In a shocking move, Windows Vista support has been officially (but temporarily) removed from Nokia Software Update, with Nokia citing instability. This will slam an awful lot of users, including me. Let's hope they iron out the problem sooner rather than later.

Read on in the full article.

slitchfield 08-05-2008 10:58 AM

Source is http://europe.nokia.com/A4577225 by the way.

Curiously, it still starts and checks versions at the moment. Maybe the bit that doesn't work is the actual download of updates?

avithe1 08-05-2008 11:16 AM

May be this helps

Antony had posted this some time back , check it out here

http://www.s60tips.com/2008/04/20/no...windows-vista/

csapdani 08-05-2008 11:33 AM

I met the incopatibility fairy when I update my N95 8GB from v15 to v20. It came up with an error message that asked me to remove the battery from my phone and put it back, then switch it on. Luckily, the update completed after all, but I must say I was nervous like hell.
If the cost of fixing all the bugs is disabling support temporarily, that's fine. But please, no more shocks.

Unregistered 08-05-2008 12:08 PM

This is a good idea. But really am surprised the kinks still haven't been worked out yet.

argh 08-05-2008 12:30 PM

Yes, it's been unavailable for quite a while. When NSU auto-updated, it started giving the "service layer" error and wouldn't let me update.

The solution that I used was to reinstall the old version of NSU. When it starts up, it sends an HTTP request to see what the latest version is. I ran an HTTP proxy to rewrite the version number in the response so that the old NSU thought it was up to date.

Was I risking bricking then? No more than I must have done previously with all the other firmwares I've updated on Vista with older versions. Sounds more like an issue with recent versions of NSU to me, not Vista.

cedesguin 08-05-2008 12:30 PM

This will probably not appear as a constructive contribution, but...

...I'm afraid this episode is just an additional expression of what I said long time ago: not only Vista is a beta product, but there is a reasonable probability it will never step over this stage. I am not scandalized that Nokia are just taking this evidence into account.

argh 08-05-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedesguin (Post 376192)
This will probably not appear as a constructive contribution, but...

...I'm afraid this episode is just an additional expression of what I said long time ago: not only Vista is a beta product, but there is a reasonable probability it will never step over this stage. I am not scandalized that Nokia are just taking this evidence into account.

Fair enough, everyone has a right to their opinion. I still stand on the "crappy flashing driver" side of things, though. Broken drivers from manufacturers have given Vista a poor reputation. I worked around this one easily by just using an old version of NSU (with an old working driver).

I still have a broken wireless printer/scanner driver from Dell which probably won't ever get fixed and has no known workaround though :(

Edit: And Nokia/Symbian still didn't have a working S60 3rd FP1 emulator for Vista last time I looked, so my long standing plans of native S60 software development are halted indefinitely.

malerocks 08-05-2008 12:56 PM

argh

I am currently facing the same issue as you. NSU tried to auto update, and the new version always gives errors during installation. I tried to work around it by uninstalling the older version, manually downloading the installer file and re-installing. But no luck. Still the same error.

I contacted Nokia for a resolution and they say to take the help of my administrator for installation. I dont have an administrator! This is like a microsoft error message - please contact your administrator.

Now the soup I am in is that I am not able to install the new version of NSU, plus I dont have the installer of the older NSU. Even if I somehow find the older one and install it, NSU will try to update before it lets me check for any firmware upgrades and will not install - back to square one. I also do not know how to write the http proxy you mentioned. :(

Sigh! I hope that the next version Nokia releases does not have this problem. Till such time, upgrading firmwares is off limits for me...

Unregistered 08-05-2008 02:37 PM

N95 8GB V20 Firmware

UK user - I can't seem to see V20 of the N95 8GB firmware when using nokia update - Phone is currently on V15 and tells me that is the latest version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Unregistered 08-05-2008 04:49 PM

Lets face facts - the instability is really caused by Microsoft's appalling software engineering in Vista, which is a travesty of an operating system. You can't really blame Nokia for this, they only support Vista because they're forced to. The best decision for users would be to replace Vista with XP - problem solved.

Unregistered 08-05-2008 05:02 PM

It's been my experience that a lot of people who have called Vista a "travesty of an operating system" have either never used it, or used it on computers that weren't powerful enough to run it. For the rest of us, it works just fine, thank you.

Unregistered 08-05-2008 06:08 PM

Workaround for lack of vista support

Hi, my Nokia Software Update just downloaded and installed the newest version. As reported it then came up with the Vista unsupported message at the end of the installation.

To get round this I simply right clicked the NSU icon, went to the compatability tab and selected Run under XP SP2 mode.

NSU now runs with no problems, although as my N95 is already at ver 21 I don't have any new f/w to install.

Hope this helps.

Neil.

Unregisteredok 08-05-2008 06:28 PM

Most people knows Vista sucks. It doesn't suprise me their are people who defend it. M$ probably pays some users & employees to defend Vista in all sorts of forums. I wouldn't put it past them. Its strange Nokia has no problems with past M$ OSes but suspend support for Vista in NSU. This is no coincidence - Vista is crap. I own both old and new hardware with core 2 duo so the other poster is wrong. Its not just about their hardware not being upto scratch.

Unregistered 08-05-2008 08:12 PM

Pah Leese!

I don't think this should be turning into a Vista vs the world thread. That being said, I use my Nokia phones with Vista on multiple machines with no issues (except the current update unresolved issue). I agree with the previous comments that a lot of 3rd party drivers and software that was written for XP/2000 is the larger issue as they can cause headaches in Vista. Think of the free ride that all the 3rd parties had with only having to deal with XP for 5+ years. Finally an update rolls around for XP and the companies and users complain like crazy. Reminds me of the same situation when users migrated from Windows 9x to 2000/XP... "My XYS program/hardware/drivers from 1995 doesn't work anymore - I thought that this $30 product would be supported to the end of time". If you don't like Vista, then use a Linux variant and see how well Nokia Software Update works then... I am not a MS Fanboy - but give it a rest!