All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Free upgrade to Quickoffice 6 for all Nokia users (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86412)

Rafe 30-07-2009 01:13 PM

Free upgrade to Quickoffice 6 for all Nokia users

Quickoffice today announced the official release of latest version of its Microsoft Ofiice compatiable document viewing and editing software. With the release comes the news that all existing S60 on Symbian Nokia devices will receive a free upgrade to the latest version, Quickoffice 6. Users will recieve an upgrade in line with the version that shiipped with their device. This means that Eseries devices will receive an upgrade to the viewing and editing version, while other S60 Nokia devices will receive an upgrade to the viewing only version. Read on for more information.

Read on in the full article.

Rafe 30-07-2009 01:59 PM

If you want the full editing version (but are not an Eseries user) I would suggest visiting Quickoffice.com or using the built in Updates and upgrades / app store feature of Quickoffice. There's a promotion running which gives you the editing version for $19.99 (normally $39.99) - look like it is only running fo a day though.

Edit: If you have already purchased an earlier version you may entitled to a cheaper upgrade. (e.g. $12 from 5 to 6.2). Check on the quickoffice.com site for more.

celios 30-07-2009 02:12 PM

Tried to upgrade on my N97... got "Catalogue update failed, check settinga and try again" - my WiFi internet connection is fine with everything else.

Tried to buy it using their website and after my PayPal account was charged got "Your purchase was successful, however a problem with our system has prevented proper processing of unlock code. Please contact Quickoffice Support for further help."

Now I have had to register for their support system and raise a ticket before I even have the software to install!

Fail*Fail = FAIL^2

Rafe 30-07-2009 02:18 PM

celios:
Annoying I know, but do contact Quickoffice support. They've always done a good job for me. I think this scenario happened to me with an earlier version.

Generally:

If you get a catalog update failure message it is worth trying again. Also (I think) you need to have a SIM card in the phone at the time (it will still use the WiFi connection).

I'd advise using the built in component for doing the upgrade / purchase.

Nemoi 30-07-2009 03:01 PM

I have the same problem as Celios on my N97, with SIM card inserted and I tried several times. After his experiences, I will certainly hold off buying the software from their site. A shame, really, cause I would have liked the word editing feature...

celios 30-07-2009 03:08 PM

Yep, I tried about 5 times with a SIM card in, then rebooted the phone and tried again... still no joy.

I have contacted Quickoffice support and hopefully they can send me a key. I would prefer to use the built in updater, to avoid any potentially disasterous dual install of Quickoffice, but I think I'll be downloading the .sis file from their website at this rate.

splus 30-07-2009 03:56 PM

Free upgrade is only to versions 4.5 and above

I tried to upgrade from the version 3.8 I have on my Nokia N95 8GB, and after entering the IMEI on their upgrade web page it said sorry, but the free upgrade is only for QuickOffice versions 4.5 and above.

Does anyone know if I buy the full version if it will be locked to this device or I can somehow transfer the license (or whatever system it uses) if I buy a new phone?

Berty 30-07-2009 04:06 PM

Stumped up 11 to get the full program working on my N97. All well and good but the new V6 installs on my C memory so down to 16MB's even with the cache cleared on the browser.

Liquid_Li0n 30-07-2009 04:16 PM

Same issue here. I have an E90 and tried several times to update to version 6 using the built in update

he makes a connection to my wifi and almost directly it says the update of the catalogue failed. try again

Would it maybe be because everyone is now trying to download...

is there a way to download the QO6 via PC and install the .sis on the phone?

celios 30-07-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berty (Post 430973)
Stumped up 11 to get the full program working on my N97. All well and good but the new V6 installs on my C memory so down to 16MB's even with the cache cleared on the browser.

:frown: This makes me very sad. Why is eveyone in the Symbian world wanting to use phone memory only all of a sudden? What is the point of 32Gb of flash drive if you can only install half the apps to the phone's (extremely) precious memory.

Berty 30-07-2009 04:19 PM

This is where I downloaded from: URL Removed

Admin edit note: I have removed the URL from this post. See this post to see why.
Berty - obviously no problem with you doing this originally (I appreciate best of intentions etc.), but wanted to avoid issues for people who might follow the link for obvious reasons.

Berty 30-07-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celios (Post 430976)
:frown: This makes me very sad. Why is eveyone in the Symbian world wanting to use phone memory only all of a sudden? What is the point of 32Gb of flash drive if you can only install half the apps to the phone's (extremely) precious memory.

I did have 22MB's before the upgrade so I'm thinking the original version is lurking on the C: drive somewhere. Anyone know where I can locate it, had a good look through using Y-Browser, nothing stands out!

Ratkat 30-07-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berty (Post 430973)

That's because the new version doesn't overwrite the old version, so you essentially have two versions on your phone, if for example you format your phone, you will get the old version back. I am assuming from the fact you only have 16mb left that you n-gage and Maps 3 as well.
16 mb is scary for c drive. You are going to run into problems at some point, are all your other apps installed on c or mass memory?

Berty 30-07-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratkat (Post 430981)
That's because the new version doesn't overwrite the old version, so you essentially have two versions on your phone, if for example you format your phone, you will get the old version back. I am assuming from the fact you only have 16mb left that you n-gage and Maps 3 as well.
16 mb is scary for c drive. You are going to run into problems at some point, are all your other apps installed on c or mass memory?

Yes I install everything I can on Mass Memory, only a few Java apps I have automatically go to C: I deleted the N-Gage app as it's rubbish, and have 3.1 maps on there. Not sure what else is cluttering things up.

Ratkat 30-07-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berty (Post 430979)
I did have 22MB's before the upgrade so I'm thinking the original version is lurking on the C: drive somewhere. Anyone know where I can locate it, had a good look through using Y-Browser, nothing stands out!

You can't remove the original version. Quickoffice upgrades will never overwrite original, regardless of whether you use the built in updater or the standalone sis.

The only way to remove it is too hack your phone and remove all the files manually, it's hard work there are loads of files and you have to be very careful as it is not immediataly clear which belong to new and old.