All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   N97 White Screen of Death in V2.0? (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89907)

Berty 02-11-2009 11:28 AM

N97 White Screen of Death in V2.0?

Anyone getting this in the new firmware?

Spent all day yesterday on a full 100% format after a freeze up and hoping it'll go away. Bet it doesn't!

Kicking myself for shelling over 500 for this damn thing.

ironass 02-11-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berty (Post 445142)
Anyone getting this in the new firmware?

Spent all day yesterday on a full 100% format after a freeze up and hoping it'll go away. Bet it doesn't!

Kicking myself for shelling over 500 for this damn thing.

You're doing the right thing Berty.

Always advisable to do a hard reset for C: and a format of Mass Memory for E: before installing such a major firmware upgrade such as this. Then reload your phone piece meal, bit by bit, rather than restoring from backup.

I know it's a lengthy process but it negates an awful lot of the problems that are being posted on this forum.

willem hordijk 02-11-2009 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Take the battery out for two minutes after the white screen.
Install the battery and than reboot!

Or
http://mynokiablog.com/2009/07/18/ho...our-nokia-n97/

bchliu 02-11-2009 08:37 PM

Its on top of my wishlist for future firmwares - a safe mode like the first gen s60 by holding down the call button or somethimg when booting up will not load crap software enough to get into to the OS and uninstall them..

zxon 02-11-2009 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bchliu (Post 445256)
Its on top of my wishlist for future firmwares - a safe mode like the first gen s60 by holding down the call button or somethimg when booting up will not load crap software enough to get into to the OS and uninstall them..

You mean like this? :D

See attached...

Lo-fi Genius 03-11-2009 12:58 PM

Just a quick query further to this - I've had a couple of system hangs since de-branding and installing v20. Will a format of C: and E: followed by a re-install of firmware help with this issue too?

ironass 03-11-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lo-fi Genius (Post 445402)
Just a quick query further to this - I've had a couple of system hangs since de-branding and installing v20. Will a format of C: and E: followed by a re-install of firmware help with this issue too?

IMHO it would be wise to hard reset C: and format Mass Memory and then only reload, Contacts, Messages, Notes, Calendar and Bookmarks from PC Suite backup. Then reinstall everything bit by bit, manually, as described here:-

http://mobile.allaboutsymbian.com/ne...20_and_a_n.php

This may seem long winded but it is a very large firmware upgrade and a lot of things have changed. It will not only make your phone faster but will help prevent some of the problems described on this forum.

Good luck! :)

teenet 03-11-2009 03:58 PM

I have the same problem as described here and the only thing that helps me every time is doing the following:
Remove the battery, then re-insert it and turn on the phone pressing the green, red and camera button at the same time for 20 seconds as I press the power button.

I really need a permanent solution for this annoying problem...

Berty 03-11-2009 04:00 PM

I did the same, and it seems to have stabilized things, but then again I only did it a few days ago. I've got around 45mb of C: space, and RAM hovers between 30-40 depending on what's running of course, however the new Opera brower can eat upto 25mb.

I stupidly reinstalled all my music, and movies using PC Sync file browser, never thought of using mass memory mode so wasted several hours.

You live and learn. Anyway hopefully it'll stay as it is and will restart with no white screen dramas, but not holding my breath though!!

teenet 03-11-2009 10:53 PM

Berty - what exactly did you do?

Berty 04-11-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teenet (Post 445545)
Berty - what exactly did you do?

The phone wouldn't start so I did a hard reset and lost all the data on C:, I then formatted the mass memory and 8GB SD card I use.

Then I reinstalled the firmware using NSU, then sync'ed my contacts with Outlook, and reloaded my music and movies back onto mass memory, and reinstalled all my usual apps all onto the mass memory. I currently have around 42mb's of space on C:, and RAM is not too bad either.

Some apps forced their way onto C: like the Quick Office app I bought, Handy Taskman and a few others. I have the old version of maps, and don't really want to upgrade to the beta new one as I use Google maps more often so don't want to sarifice more C: space.

Hope this helps, took best part of a day to sort out, and will not be doing it again!

teenet 04-11-2009 01:50 PM

OK, Thanks Berty - will tyr that...
Just one more question - when you formatted the mass storage - did it wipe EVERYTHING or did it leave some folders without touching them?

Berty 04-11-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teenet (Post 445683)
OK, Thanks Berty - will tyr that...
Just one more question - when you formatted the mass storage - did it wipe EVERYTHING or did it leave some folders without touching them?

I formatted the thing from scratch using for FORMAT menu option.

So far things have been great!!

Berty 15-11-2009 06:14 AM

Well this old chestnut has raised it's ugly head. Was forced to do two hard resets yesterday. Absolute pain in the arse. Can't take anymore hassles with this damn phone so time to think of getting something new and not from Nokia. Any ideas?

I think it's a software issue, some dodgy app that's been installed but how do you know which one?

seki 15-11-2009 06:25 AM

If you're looking ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berty (Post 447381)
Well this old chestnut has raised it's ugly head. Was forced to do two hard resets yesterday. Absolute pain in the arse. Can't take anymore hassles with this damn phone so time to think of getting something new and not from Nokia. Any ideas?

I have both an N97 and a Satio .. the Satio is MUCH better at doing general day to day tasks for me. Which include taking photos/videos etc.

I do still have the 97 as my work phone. Its a good device but the mini with 32G RAM would have been a better design I've always felt.