All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Links of Interest (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   20 reasons why the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic is better than the Apple iPhone (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79821)

slitchfield 08-12-2008 11:50 AM

20 reasons why the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic is better than the Apple iPhone

No, not my list, I'd have plumped for 10 resons why each is better than the other. But over on (the horribly biased!) Tube5800.com there's an interesting list of 20 reasons why Nokia's touch-screen mid-tier newcomer is better than Cupertino's finest. Don't send any flames to me - go the Tube5800 site itself! (via WoN)

Read on in the full article.

ashu 08-12-2008 12:11 PM

very good

you have to agree, his points are valid. though he has not posted the positives....

Unregistered 08-12-2008 12:26 PM

a pity Nokia doesn't have hardware accelerated grqaphics in its current portfolio of phones otherwise the iPhone's crown would be slipping..

neilhoskins 08-12-2008 12:37 PM

<yawn> the iBling never had a "crown", except in the minds of the press and fanboys.

I have to confess though that, until I read this, I didn't realise just how bad it was. No A2DP? You can't save email attachments? Seriously?

Unregistered 08-12-2008 12:50 PM

BRAVO Nokia!!!! Bring on the 5800!!!

mvn 08-12-2008 12:51 PM

"....many software bugs and other technical glitches. Nokia 5800 Tube has no such issues plus many more amazing features included...."

How could anybody take this article seriously with a comment like this! Have never known a smartphone to come bug free.. The "author" has never used either product.

svdwal 08-12-2008 12:54 PM

10.000 apps in half a year, compared to 9000 apps in 6 years or so.

stuclark 08-12-2008 12:58 PM

What a **** bit of reporting... although his points are (mostly) valid.

The "memory flexibility" was stretching a point just a tad too far though :)

slitchfield 08-12-2008 01:30 PM

Yep, agreed, which is why I made the appropriate hands-off comments in the news post itself!

Crapgame 08-12-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 403535)
a pity Nokia doesn't have hardware accelerated grqaphics in its current portfolio of phones otherwise the iPhone's crown would be slipping..

Actually I'll think you'll find the N96 does.

My biggest beef with touch screens is the lack of responsiveness. While the iPhone undoubtedly has many technical issues, most of which a good firmware update would remedy (watch Macworld 2009), it's user interface is second to none. I've never once had to retap or hit the home button because I got lost or confused. Also I have never once wondered if the iPhone was actually doing something as it always gave me stylish clues that it was working on something.

Touch is only an enabler I hear you scream. Yes it is, but done write it makes you really think about what you can actually achieve in a mobile handset, not just expect. Love or loath the iPhone you have to admit it gave everyone the boot up the arse they needed.

Let's hope that with user feedback from the 5800 Nokia will create a superior firmware version for the N97.

Raven 08-12-2008 02:09 PM

Yet another iPhone comparison with iPhone haters just listing features off the spec sheet. How about actually trying an iPhone, Tube5800.com?

Not to mention that a bunch of things in their little list is simply not correct.

The whole "6) Features" point has so many errors I can't even be bothered to comment on all of them. Saving e-mail attachments, the iPhone does that. The same goes for third party headphones, apps, ringtones and what not. The iPhone is also considerably more stable than the N95 8BG i owned. And I'd really like to know what on earth "other technical glitches" means... LOL.

Most of the other points are also dodgy at best. I realize tube5800.com is just yet another fanboy-site, but at least trying to sound somewhat balanced would help a lot... :rolleyes:

Raven 08-12-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svdwal (Post 403540)
10.000 apps in half a year, compared to 9000 apps in 6 years or so.

Say what? 9000??! You gotta be kidding me?! S60 3rd edition doesn't even 900 native apps available as far as I can tell...

rbrunner 08-12-2008 03:24 PM

Feature comparisons - do them right, please

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 403555)
Saving e-mail attachments, the iPhone does that.

Really?

Yes, the blog post on tube5800.com does contain a number of inaccurate statements, but why then do you increase their number here? According to my research that I did preparing this post, the iPhone can save *pictures* attached to e-mails, but not attachments in any format.

E.g. see this thread: Why can I not save attachments on my iPhone

I think so far the iPhone does not directly expose the file system to the user in any generic way, as Symbian phones do, and this might be actually a good thing, because you have much fewer ways to mess up something, and dealing with files on Symbian phones can be so complicated that probably most users avoid it anyway. But this all does not change the fact that Symbian has an edge here, feature-wise.

Unregistered 08-12-2008 03:37 PM

What everyone forgets is the embarassment factor that is associated with iPhones and Apple products in general. They now have a very solid connection with the nurdy gadget-geek who likes to flick pictures around on his phone with his finger. I mean it's fun for about 2 minutes but then you just want to make a call. An iPhone is one step away from a Doro (And the Doro is the sensible choice if you are terminally stupid and can't work a phone, saves the shockingly overpriced costs of an iPhone and its contract).

buster 08-12-2008 03:41 PM

Hang on, S60 is not exactly what you would call "flexible" with attachments. If it's not a recognised file-type, it can be hard to save an attachment. And even if it is recognised, it may be linked to the wrong application; I recently received a large REXX script (extension .pre, size about 170KB) by email, but my E90 insisted on saving the attachment in "Notes", where the file simply disappeared, never to be seen again.

And the built-in browser is no better; it is simply impossible to download unrecognised file-types. The stupid thing is, this sort of limited functionality has to be specifically programmed in; the question is, why would you even bother to limit a phone in this way? If someone chooses to download a file which the phone is not able to open, so be it!? Let the user decide what to do with the file once it's on his/her phone; after all, these are smartphones, and are presumably intended to be used by smart people...