All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia 6600 and 6620 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Bango spot (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20732)

job 26-02-2004 09:13 AM

Bango spot

Anyone seen the new system from Bango for getting wap addresses from barcodes?

Tried it and it works really well, just download tiny app into the phone (spot viewer) and point it at the circular barcode , they have a sample on their site (www.bango.net).
A red cross appears when it has the link, works very reliably, and then click and get taken to the site, beats writing in tedious url's on the keypad.

They are pushing the system at 3gsm and it works on much lower res cameras than competing Japanese technology.

I never believed it would work , but it does.

willbrady 26-02-2004 10:48 AM

Yeah, great.
And where do I find these bango 'spots' other than the one on their website - NOWHERE?

Why waste space on my phone..

Oh I get it you have to go to a URL on your PC first in order to see the spot and go their on the phone NOT!
Or do you walk past a shop and see they have a spot - if im in the shop why would I click the spot and go to their wapsite when I'm already in their shop???

Perhaps if im reading the newspaper and I see a spot, I first have to go to the website, download the spot software install it on my phone then go back to the newspaper and then click the spot?

Sorry, as cleaver as it is, I just don't understand the use of this????

Will

job 26-02-2004 12:58 PM

OK Mr impatient

They have JUST announced it, the idea is for mobile content providers to use it on billboards, flyers, magazines, t-shirts...anywhere.

WHEN they start to advertise, as mobile content really takes off.

The thing with mobiles is texting in urls is a pain, so any advert for a site will need a quicker way for people to get there, this is a good way to do it.

You could see an advert for a site in a magazine and just point and click to access it.

It isn't rocket science to realise that is much better than typing all that www. shite.

willbrady 26-02-2004 01:13 PM

Hahahaha

I'm only winding you up Mr Bango ;)

It's a great idea if it works, thou you need to find a way to get the software on as many phones as possible?

If a punter sees an add it would say
txt trigger 'website' to 86### to see the site
or
txt trigger 'spot' to 86### to download a bit of software to click on this spot to save you typing txt trigger 'website' ???

Unless by some marketing miracle you guys manage to get EVERY WAP site on your system and spot software pre-installed on everybodies handsets :)

Spose it's good if you need to get to that Jordan site quickly and you only have one free hand so can not type in the txt trigger :) :) :)

Actually guys - go and download it, it's very cleaver!

Will

job 26-02-2004 04:30 PM

Well I'm not 'Mr Bango'

I do use their system, just seemed quite cool, though they really need to make it a Java app rather than symbian only.

A real scoop would be for it to be featured on all new Nokia camera phones, even if it fails many companies have a similair system in the works.

harryf1 26-02-2004 04:50 PM

Well, I was curious about the app but its not possible to download it. I only get 'Services: Reply unknown' with my 6600 and thats it. :(

Harry

willbrady 04-03-2004 06:23 PM

Ok.

Anyone wants to give this a go, it is in fact quite cool.

To download the Daily Spot Spot reader go to http://bango.net/spot on your phone or txt go spot to 87121

Then point your camera phone at the Avator image to your left and you will be instantly launched into the Daily Spot Adult galleries.

Have fun!!

harryf1 05-03-2004 09:21 AM

Well, I still cant download the app. My phone just gives me 'unknown reply' when I click the download button. :(

Top Bunny 05-03-2004 09:28 AM

Very cool, I can see this really working!

willbrady 05-03-2004 10:13 AM

Harry, apparently Bango are working on the 6600 issues.

Hold on in there!!

willbrady 05-03-2004 10:20 AM

Top bunny.

Last time the Daily Sport were the first to launch adult services on phones and we were all chatting about it in the these forums the story somehow managed to get to 'the register' and we all got a mention, it was quite cool.

Wonder if the register will pick up on this story.......

that would be cool.

;)

Will

willbrady 05-03-2004 10:49 AM

Harry.

Just tested the spot on a 6600 and it all worked fine?
Did you go to the bango url or txt go spot to 87121 ?

Both worked fine for me?

will

harryf1 05-03-2004 10:59 AM

Well, I just tried again (from Vodafone Germany) and I get the first page and when I click on the download button the phone downloads something and then I get 'Services: Reply unknown' and thats it.

No way to get anything. :(

Harry

chestwigcharrio 05-03-2004 01:43 PM

Hey Harry,

I downloaded it directly on my laptop and sent it across to my 6600 via infrared.

http://spots.bango.net/SpotReader.sis

It looks like the MIME types on their server are not the same as some of our phones. My friend downloaded it on his 7650 without batting an eyelid :( let's hope this is something they can sort out soon.

CWC

willbrady 05-03-2004 02:21 PM

Beat me to it :)

I was about to upload the sis file....

Will