All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Top 10 Freeware for the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and S60 5th Edition (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82636)

slitchfield 02-03-2009 07:54 AM

Top 10 Freeware for the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and S60 5th Edition

Continuing a fine and longstanding tradition, I bring you what will be a regularly updated top pick of the very best freeware for S60 5th Edition. At this moment in time, this means the Top Ten freeware for the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. OK, OK, so I relent after 10 and give you a bonus 'next 10', bubbling under. Hopefully there are some items in here that you hadn't considered until now!

Read on in the full article.

Hucklebuck 02-03-2009 08:19 AM

Good news for 5800 users who still can't get V20 firmware due to product code exclusion and with no patience to wait for Nokia to get moving. I changed my product code to allow V20 download and it works perfect, the software is out there via google now. The keywords you need are JAF and PKEY, not Nemesis NSS yet. V20 firmware will allow you to get the new multi-language dictionary app and the Real Player v1.6 that allows downloads to play back later.

Unregistered 02-03-2009 08:44 AM

Firmware / product code

Hi Steve

Thanks for the article. SportsTracker (for instance) isn't in my Download!, can you please post your 5800XM's firmware / product code / colour so we can see which version you are using?

slitchfield 02-03-2009 08:56 AM

My 5800 is RM-356 and Red. Actually, I'm standing by for a v21 release - surely that can't be far away, given the current lack of optimisation in the device?

viipottaja 02-03-2009 08:59 AM

Great article, makes me wanna buy the 5800 once they have it back and more widely available here in the US! :)

ps. Please guys, improve the UI of AAS finally.. I click on the header of the article, I get to the second page with an extra para, only to see I need to click on "read on" to see the rest.. arrgghh.. not to mention there is an ad page in between, but that I can forgive as you do need to make some money too. :)

Unregistered 02-03-2009 09:11 AM

Mobipocket?

Hi, Does mobipocket reader work on S60v5, and if so, whats the experience like? mobipocket is my killer app when upgrading a phone.

Thanks.

bbking 02-03-2009 09:32 AM

Mobipocket

I am running Mobipocket Reader V5.3 build 576. Page up and down are mapped to the volume keys. Not wonderful, but not unusable.

rvirga 02-03-2009 09:41 AM

I didn't know Sports Tracker had been ported to the 5800! It's not on Download in my country. A Google search however led me to this article, which contains a direct download link. Accented characters don't display properly, but overall it works OK.
Still waiting for Internet Radio (a glaring omission in a music phone).

Unregistered 02-03-2009 09:47 AM

No SportTracker

I have v20.0.012.C02.01 Type RM-356.
When I tried update the phone, it says that no new updates are available.
However Download! has no SportTracker icon after "Option/Refresh content".

Unregistered 02-03-2009 09:57 AM

I've installed Mobipocket reader in my 5800...almost was happy with it until I found that I couldn't find a way to come back from full-screen mode!

Now all I'm waiting for is the Intellisync mobile mail for the 5th ed.

slitchfield 02-03-2009 10:15 AM

Sorry all, I've replaced the Sports Tracker download reference with a proper hyperlink that should work for all!

HAIL_ACME 02-03-2009 11:24 AM

Talkonaut ??? how can you forget FRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! i know its not in final version but its working just fine

slitchfield 02-03-2009 11:29 AM

Well, fring was on the shortlist, but I didn't think it was formally available, plus my eyes glaze over when I see yet more VoIP solutions and I was aiming for an interesting list above all. I'll look at it and add it to an updated list in the future.

Rafe 02-03-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viipottaja (Post 412734)
Great article, makes me wanna buy the 5800 once they have it back and more widely available here in the US! :)

ps. Please guys, improve the UI of AAS finally.. I click on the header of the article, I get to the second page with an extra para, only to see I need to click on "read on" to see the rest.. arrgghh.. not to mention there is an ad page in between, but that I can forgive as you do need to make some money too. :)

Comments about the UI noted. In our defence we do link to the main story on the front page as well (in the body of the text). There should be a way of making this clearer, but this is balanced against getting a reasonable amount on the front page. Plus some items are just news. Generally when we're talking about content you'll always find a link in the first para.

I suppose we could change where the headline link too, but that then is inconsistent the other way round.

With regards to the ad - you should only ever see this once a day. If this is not the case let me know. I try and draw a balance between advertising and annoying people. But yes we do have to pay the bills and the advertisng market isn;t great right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAIL_ACME (Post 412756)
Talkonaut ??? how can you forget FRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! i know its not in final version but its working just fine

Reason Fring wasn't mentioned as its not formally available (in alpha), but of course its definitely worth a look. Bear in mind we have to balance between cutting edge users who don't mind potentially unstable apps and the middle ground.

neilhoskins 02-03-2009 01:51 PM

How come my wife's RM-356 doesn't have v20 available yet?