All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Symbian Phones (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Dumped the N97 again.... (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95832)

craigyb 26-07-2010 05:16 PM

Dumped the N97 again....
 
So I've dumped the N97 again, this time in favour of the Samsung Galaxy S and I think in time the S PRO with it's Qwerty Keyboard will be the next upgrade.

So far no major issues with the Galaxy, I managed to transfer 300 texts over with a few conversion routines I snaffled from the web. I used my memory card for the pics and a sync with outlook for the contacts. One of the best features is the rSAP support in the bluetooth, this really suprised me for an Android based phone, but it works great with my Q7.

Onboard 8GB SD card and an additional 32GB slot is plenty of memory. Phone is quick, apps are plentiful and the upgrade to Android 2.2 is imminent.

sjdean 26-07-2010 07:41 PM

Quick, have you tested GPS yet...

craigyb 26-07-2010 08:05 PM

GPS isn't really a major requirement for me, but so far so good. Finding my location has been quick and accurate.

jamessmith01 27-07-2010 10:30 AM

What makes you say the 2.2 update is imminent for Samsung?

xerxes 27-07-2010 10:24 PM

How are you finding the battery life? That's the main thing putting me off jumping to Android right now.

Also, what's the camera like?

nottmbantam 28-07-2010 09:26 AM

Is it me, or does Android just seem to be taking over the Smartphone Market now? Virtually every single new Smartphone with a decent set of features seem to be Android based.

I know we've had this debate before, but it does look like Symbian will be left behind.

dez_borders 29-07-2010 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 472168)
Is it me, or does Android just seem to be taking over the Smartphone Market now? Virtually every single new Smartphone with a decent set of features seem to be Android based.

I know we've had this debate before, but it does look like Symbian will be left behind.

I'm afraid I have been truly converted to Android from Symbian, after almost 5 years of S60 ownership. Any Android with the 2.2/Froyo OS upgrade absolutely rocks...

MeeGo looks great, but as someone once said in AAS... If only Nokia made an Android phone...

spirit44 29-07-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dez_borders (Post 472259)
I'm afraid I have been truly converted to Android from Symbian, after almost 5 years of S60 ownership. Any Android with the 2.2/Froyo OS upgrade absolutely rocks...

MeeGo looks great, but as someone once said in AAS... If only Nokia made an Android phone...

Dez

I briefly had a Desire, i got rid of it because of the poor audio on video capture, has this been improved at all with firmware improvements?

Thanks

PS If there was an Android phone with HD recording (with decent audio) and a Xenon flash camera i would never buy a phone with any other operating system

dez_borders 29-07-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit44 (Post 472282)
Dez

I briefly had a Desire, i got rid of it because of the poor audio on video capture, has this been improved at all with firmware improvements?

Thanks

PS If there was an Android phone with HD recording (with decent audio) and a Xenon flash camera i would never buy a phone with any other operating system

I am running a leaked HTC Froyo ROM now on my Desire, and it has HD video recording (720P) with pretty decent audio.
I didn't really do much video recording prior to the ROM upgrade so can't really provide a comparison, sorry.

craigyb 30-07-2010 12:25 PM

There is already a leaked 2.2 ROM for the Galaxy S, but it's pretty buggy.

craigyb 31-07-2010 12:09 PM

I flashed my Galaxy S with the latest 2.1 firmware last night (JM2 I think) and this seems to have speeded up the phone and fixed the GPS locking speed and accuracy.

pkidza 01-08-2010 12:35 PM

After roughly 3 months with an N97 mini I dumped it and went for an HTC Legend. I love Android and feel that it is a great mobile operating system for the power user. I do miss the hardware keyboard a little bit but the onscreen keyboard on the Legend is not that bad.

The Legend is fast, stable and pretty. I have yet to see it crash and I have not had to take the battery out once to reset it. With the Mini I used to have multiple freezes and crashes each week.

dez_borders 02-08-2010 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigyb (Post 472377)
There is already a leaked 2.2 ROM for the Galaxy S, but it's pretty buggy.

XDA forum has several rooted versions of the official 2.2 HTC Desire ROM & Radio as released yesterday OTA.
There was a rumour that the official 2.2 would allow iTunes synchronisation but i haven't tested that yet, and am somewhat dubious that Apple would allow a non-Apple device to support iTunes.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.