All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Reset issue to do with micro SD Card (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87566)

Berty 02-09-2009 01:09 PM

Reset issue to do with micro SD Card

Hi Guys. Quick question, whenever I reset my N97 these days I have to take out the micro SD card otherwise I just get the white Nokia screen of death and nothing happens. Any idea why this is, quite annoying having to pop the back off and take out the SD card (8GB) everytime I need to reset the phone.

Any ideas???

Thanks.

gnm11 02-09-2009 07:14 PM

Firmware issue I presume

Hi!

I've had the same problem. I solved it by starting the phone without the SD card then re-inserted it. Switched the phone to OFFLINE profile and restarted. Haven't had the problem since then. Have no idea why it worked and if it would work again but worth a shot.

Regards, M

rdcinhou 02-09-2009 08:22 PM

My N97 used to seem more prone to hangups with my 1 GB micro SD installed.

After my last hard reset, I reformatted it inside the N97 instead of on my PC and the problems seem to have subsided (or maybe it was v12 firmware).

Sam_man 02-09-2009 09:07 PM

format the memory card using n97's file manager, i did this and never had any problems

Berty 03-09-2009 07:49 AM

Done the format which seems to have sorted it. Luckily not much on the 8GB SD card to replace.

Can't get the damn thing out though. It will click in and out but it's too fiddly to pull all the way out!!!

Berty 15-10-2009 06:50 AM

This old chessnut has come up again. Damn thing wouldn't restart at all last night, tried charging, taking out memory and SIM card, battery etc all to no avail so was forced to do my first four fingered hard reset.

That got it going again, restoring from the memory card wasn't as complete as I'd thought so spent the next few hours installing a load of missing apps.

On the up side I gained back about 25 MBs of memory in C after everything was reinstalled so now have 35MBs of C space.

I stored the SISX files for these missing programs on the memory card now for future ease of install if this happens again.

I hope to god Nokia sort this in V2.0 as I have to hold my breath every time I restart my damn phone.

Anyone else having similar problems or know if Nokia know about this?

zxon 15-10-2009 11:35 AM

Strange you should mention this. It happened to me again just yesterday, so I did what I did before...

Backed up the contents of the memory card to my PC
Formatted the card using the built-in File Manager
Copied everything back again.

Hey presto! Back to normal! But I know in a month or two it's gonna happen again. I hope this is an issue that's resolved in v20.

Berty 15-10-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxon (Post 442254)
Strange you should mention this. It happened to me again just yesterday, so I did what I did before...

Backed up the contents of the memory card to my PC
Formatted the card using the built-in File Manager
Copied everything back again.

Hey presto! Back to normal! But I know in a month or two it's gonna happen again. I hope this is an issue that's resolved in v20.

OK. Did the same, but haven't switched off and on again though, worried I'll have a dead phone again. Damn you Nokia!!!!!

bchliu 15-10-2009 08:49 PM

The problem is due to a dodgy application that you have installed in your internal memory or memory card. If you can boot without your memory card inserted, then its your memory card that has the dodgy program. If your phone comes out with "White screen of death" even without the card inserted, then you most lifely have installed the bad application on your internal memory.

As part of the boot up process, the phone will load different applications and libraries into memory and if any of these applications are "bad", it will stop it from processing any further.

I have covered this issue in another thread called "White Nokia screen of death" here:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ighlight=white

Follow the instructions on how to "save your phone" without doing a three finger salute / hard reset.

zxon 15-10-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bchliu (Post 442370)
The problem is due to a dodgy application that you have installed in your internal memory or memory card. If you can boot without your memory card inserted, then its your memory card that has the dodgy program.

There's one problem with that theory... I don't install apps on my memory card.