All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia N95 and N95 8GB (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Anonymous mobile web browser needed to bypass Vodafone proxy charging for MySpace (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61768)

rjamesd 21-06-2007 12:32 PM

Anonymous mobile web browser needed to bypass Vodafone proxy charging for MySpace
 
Vodafone have craftily intercepted people accessing myspace.com on their mobiles via their 3G network, and are offering a monthly 1.50pound/month charge to access the site.

How many other companies will they tie in to with similar deals?

What we need is a anonymiser browser that encrypts page requests for URLs so that the Vodafone service cannot see them and intercept them.

There are already anonymizers for PC browsers - any available for the mobile?
Edit/Delete Message

3Shirts 21-06-2007 12:53 PM

What a fuckin' rip-off! Glad i'm not on voda! How can they give you 'internet access' for a set fee then just randomly start sticking premiums on the popular sites that are probably the reason you paid for data in the first place!

superleccy 21-06-2007 01:29 PM

It does indeed sound like the crafty trick that Vodafone would pull.

However, I've just tried it myself and I didn't get a message or anything saying they were going to charge me extra.

Are you PrePay or Contract? What access point are you using? What actuallty happens when you try and access MySpace?

Cheers
SL

jw 21-06-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjamesd (Post 321131)
Vodafone have craftily intercepted people accessing myspace.com on their mobiles via their 3G network, and are offering a monthly 1.50pound/month charge to access the site.

How many other companies will they tie in to with similar deals?

What we need is a anonymiser browser that encrypts page requests for URLs so that the Vodafone service cannot see them and intercept them.

There are already anonymizers for PC browsers - any available for the mobile?
Edit/Delete Message

Is that even legal? What right does Vodafone have to charge extra for a third party website? Do MySpace know they're doing it? I suppose maybe it's a deal between Vodafone and MySpace, but still, it's not fair IMO.

rjamesd 21-06-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

However, I've just tried it myself and I didn't get a message or anything saying they were going to charge me extra.
Try signing in - then you'll see...

Quote:

Is that even legal? What right does Vodafone have to charge extra for a third party website?
I'm sure it is legal. Why wouldn't it be?

Quote:

Do MySpace know they're doing it?
Of course they do. The adverts for the mobile service are on the full size version of the site.

Quote:

I suppose maybe it's a deal between Vodafone and MySpace
A deal has been struck between the 2 companies for sure.

YouTube is next probably...

Quote:

but still, it's not fair IMO.
True and I think it is very smart for them as the walled garden of WAP failed but because true mobile internet access for vodafone users still has to go through their servers they can intercept certain URLs.

But don't fear...

With an anonymous browser and suitable service running on a server, this could be bypassed. If you have webspace with PHP or run your own server on the net, then with some coding effort, it should be possible to request pages via this. Some sort of http tunnelling will do the trick...

OscarB 21-06-2007 03:52 PM

Maybe this one can help you:

http://www.toonel.net/

superleccy 21-06-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjamesd (Post 321199)
Try signing in - then you'll see...

Nope - I signed in and I didn't see any message.

What access point (APN) are you using?

SL

PS: Although I disagree with Vodafone charging for the service in this way (if this is indeed what they are doing), at least they won't be charging you data usage.

srw985 21-06-2007 05:53 PM

you could try using the http://www.hidemyass.com/ proxy, as then your browser is not on myspace.

Ratkat 21-06-2007 07:06 PM

You are only charged if you visit MySpace when browsing through the Vodafone Live web portal. (using the Vodafone live WAP access point)

Just visit MySpace using the Vodafone Internet Access Point instead, you will not be charged.

The best way to do this is to open the Web Browser, then click Options/Settings/General/ change the access point to 'always ask'

Exit back to the Nokia Bookmarks page, then enter the MySpace web address www.myspace.com in the address bar at the bottom of the page, when asked choose the Vodafone Internet access point. it will go directly to MySpace, you won't be charged other than your normal data charge.

You can also do this using Opera Mini, again select the internet access point not the vodafone live wap one

superleccy 22-06-2007 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratkat (Post 321241)
You are only charged if you visit MySpace when browsing through the Vodafone Live web portal. (using the Vodafone live WAP access point)

I thought so.

But if you use MySpcae via the Internet APN, you'll be charged per Mb. Using it through the Vodafone Live portal may be 1.50/month, but I guess there is no additional per-Mb charge on top of that.

Which method is cheaper will depend on your data tariff, how much you use MySpace, and how good your browser is at filtering out all MySpaces's crappy adverts.

Nevertheless, I hate Vodafone Live. The first thing I did when I got my N95 (likewise my N80 and 7610) was to delete as much of the Vodafone junk as possible.

T-mobile seem to have the right idea here with their Web 'n' Walk - althouh I've not tried it myself.

SL

Halon 22-06-2007 02:19 AM

I cry for the day Voda offer an equivalent of Web 'n' Walk. The last time I spoke to them I hinted I'd leave so I could have it, and they didn't seem bothered so either

a) They have lots of money and this strategy works of them or
b) Vodafone is, if fact, my wife and is calling my bluff

Unfortunately, I live in the arse end of nowhere and the only company which has good coverage here is the big V. Looks like I'll be staying, after all.

Damn you Vodafone and your investment in coverage over the other companies here!

rjamesd 25-06-2007 10:52 PM

yes i can confirm that full myspace is free if you don't go via Vodafone Live! when connecting to a portal to go online.

I use Vodafone GPRS Internet. Puzzled as to why it is called this because the 3G symbol appears when connecting instead of the GPRS antenna symbol. So Vodafone GPRS Internet must be 3G if you have a 3G phone. Well the myspace page loads fast enough and I can log in.

I guess if myspace are going to invest in a mobile edition they can recoup that from some of the fee Vodafone charge. If it is a flat rate of 1.50/month no matter how much you use it then that is a good deal otherwise if it is just the subscription with the data not included then i guess it is for die hard myspacers, the rest of us can go via the free route.

So not so bad after all.

superleccy 26-06-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjamesd (Post 321973)
I use Vodafone GPRS Internet. Puzzled as to why it is called this because the 3G symbol appears when connecting instead of the GPRS antenna symbol. So Vodafone GPRS Internet must be 3G if you have a 3G phone.

It doesn't matter what the access point is called. Access points should function the same regardless of whether you connect to then with a 2.5G (GPRS) or 3G bearer. In fact your 3G handset will resort to 2.5G anyway if you are out of 3G coverage, or if you disable 3G to preserve battery.

The naming of the access point is possibly a throwback to the pre-3G days. Also, Packet Switched (PS) 3G (what you use for internet access) is often (perhaps incorrectly) referred to as GPRS 3G to distinguish it from Circuit Switched (CS) 3G (what you use for voice and video calling). PS 3G is basically GPRS plus swanky radio technology to make it go faster.

SL

pa49 26-06-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superleccy (Post 322237)
It doesn't matter what the access point is called. Access points should function the same regardless of whether you connect to then with a 2.5G (GPRS) or 3G bearer. In fact your 3G handset will resort to 2.5G anyway if you are out of 3G coverage, or if you disable 3G to preserve battery.

The naming of the access point is possibly a throwback to the pre-3G days. Also, Packet Switched (PS) 3G (what you use for internet access) is often (perhaps incorrectly) referred to as GPRS 3G to distinguish it from Circuit Switched (CS) 3G (what you use for voice and video calling). PS 3G is basically GPRS plus swanky radio technology to make it go faster.

SL

And your point is?

Ratkat 26-06-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superleccy (Post 321295)
I thought so.

But if you use MySpcae via the Internet APN, you'll be charged per Mb. Using it through the Vodafone Live portal may be 1.50/month, but I guess there is no additional per-Mb charge on top of that.

Which method is cheaper will depend on your data tariff, how much you use MySpace, and how good your browser is at filtering out all MySpaces's crappy adverts.

Nevertheless, I hate Vodafone Live. The first thing I did when I got my N95 (likewise my N80 and 7610) was to delete as much of the Vodafone junk as possible.

T-mobile seem to have the right idea here with their Web 'n' Walk - althouh I've not tried it myself.

SL


You are NOT charged by the MB if you use the Internet APN, it is 1 per day up to 15MB or you can sign up for the 120mb/7.50 per month data plan.

Under either plan you can use both the WAP or the INTERNET APN


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.