All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nokia strike a blow for reasonably priced smartphones (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94365)

slitchfield 14-04-2010 03:26 PM

Nokia strike a blow for reasonably priced smartphones
 
David Gilson looks at Nokia's new C6 and E5 smartphones in the light of the models they either replace or will be compared to. What's outstanding is, naturally enough, the prices, though David goes into significant technical detail in justifying the comparisons and conclusion.

Read on in the full article.

germcevoy 14-04-2010 04:13 PM

I'm not getting the fuss over pricing on these devices. It just looks like Nokia have ditched their obsession with releasing devices with oddly high RRP's for the hardware offered (N97 and Mini being the main examples) Nokia have constantly been talking about pushing smartphones further down the markets and to do so they need to maintain features but lower the price point. That's what we see here. No surprises

Unregistered 14-04-2010 04:40 PM

Might be the best strategy for Nokia considering they simply can not compete in the high-end smartphone market.

Nothing wrong with bottom feeding.

Dazzy 14-04-2010 04:58 PM

There is a massive market these days for cheap affordable smartphones and Nokia are embrassing this, more power to them. These will sell by the bucket loads in the likes of India and other emerging markets.

OT

People all over the net have been bashing the Microsoft phones, but I recon with the Kin-1 it will appeal to teenage girls in the drones.

Unregistered 14-04-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germcevoy (Post 463309)
I'm not getting the fuss over pricing on these devices. It just looks like Nokia have ditched their obsession with releasing devices with oddly high RRP's for the hardware offered (N97 and Mini being the main examples) Nokia have constantly been talking about pushing smartphones further down the markets and to do so they need to maintain features but lower the price point. That's what we see here. No surprises

What fuss? There are no phones that can compete feature wise at the price. So Nokia take that end of the market and then release the stronger phones later, just in time for their new customers to move up.

Nokia did well at the high end with the N95, but lost their way after that. They are maintaining their market presence whilst giving themselves a chance to get things together.

brrip 14-04-2010 06:36 PM

Honestly, I've always gone with Nokia everytime I changed phone, and it's been great. But since the N95, Nokia has absolutely nothing worth mentioning. Good for Nokia that it's found its new niche, the low end market. I'm going HTC next time I buy a phone, because they aren't afraid to put some good hardware into it and charge me a few couple of hundred bucks. I personally dislike Android, but if Nokia keeps launching phones that look like this, then HTC here I come.

Yeah I know S^3's in the tunnel and they're basically scraping the bottom with S^1, thus the crap phones, but Nokia's losing application support so fast that it doesn't even have a decent MSN client on its platform anymore.

morpheus2702 14-04-2010 06:56 PM

Ok the 'Nokia expanding in the mid-tier' story has been rammed home by now to all unsundry with all the subtlety of John Leslie unhooking a bra strap. Who is really taken in by all this 'emerging markets' nonsense?

My take? Until Symbian^3 is ready to be unleashed and there is genuinely something to talk about, Nokia are going to mine every last cent out of the existing S60v5 (or is that Symbian^1 in the new Symbian Utopia?) Like being able to offer these technologically aged platforms at bargains is something we should all marvel at! The costs are sunk, bleed 3rd and 5th edition for every mediocre handsetyou can... Then spin it so it's all part of your strategy to develop the BRIC markets.

Not saying that Nokia wouldn't be doing exactly the same were their new Symbian^3 flagship was ready but please, enough of connecting the dots to arrive at 'data point' (new AAS bullshit phrase of recent weeks) where, miraculously. This is just where Nokia wants to be.

If it was a choice between reading concrete about the ethereal N8-00 or more on the crop of handsets from earlier this week, honestly, which would you click on first?

Guys have the balls to say Nokia is bleeding everything they can out of S60 and enough of this 'Nokia planned this'.

buster 14-04-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brrip (Post 463319)
Yeah I know S^3's in the tunnel and they're basically scraping the bottom with S^1, thus the crap phones, but Nokia's losing application support so fast that it doesn't even have a decent MSN client on its platform anymore.

Like an MSN client is any indicator of how good application support is!

buster 14-04-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morpheus2702 (Post 463323)
Ok the 'Nokia expanding in the mid-tier' story has been rammed home by now to all unsundry with all the subtlety of John Leslie unhooking a bra strap. Who is really taken in by all this 'emerging markets' nonsense?

My take? Until Symbian^3 is ready to be unleashed and there is genuinely something to talk about, Nokia are going to mine every last cent out of the existing S60v5 (or is that Symbian^1 in the new Symbian Utopia?) Like being able to offer these technologically aged platforms at bargains is something we should all marvel at! The costs are sunk, bleed 3rd and 5th edition for every mediocre handsetyou can... Then spin it so it's all part of your strategy to develop the BRIC markets.

Not saying that Nokia wouldn't be doing exactly the same were their new Symbian^3 flagship was ready but please, enough of connecting the dots to arrive at 'data point' (new AAS bullshit phrase of recent weeks) where, miraculously. This is just where Nokia wants to be.

If it was a choice between reading concrete about the ethereal N8-00 or more on the crop of handsets from earlier this week, honestly, which would you click on first?

Guys have the balls to say Nokia is bleeding everything they can out of S60 and enough of this 'Nokia planned this'.

What total crap. These handsets are not at all mediocre, they are fairly powerful phones being offered at surprisingly low prices. They may not be "high-end", whatever the f*** that means, but these are actually very interesting devices, with a potentially enormous market. That is news, whether you like it or not.

I'd like to say I'm surprised at the rubbish being spouted at the moment, but that would unfortunately be a lie...

Rafe 14-04-2010 07:16 PM

There'll be more announcements in due course. Nokia has never been about just one segment.

And yes I do appreciate that many reading this blog are probably interested in the higher end device (and would read that news over this). Rest assured we'll be doing just as complete coverage when the high-end release(s) roll around (more so in all likelihood).

Yes, Symbian^3 is going to be the new shiny, but there'll be plenty of users on the older version too. These phones, while not high-end, are still taking smartphones / open platforms into new areas. I do think this is a point worth hammering home as its not something I see being widely understood (many honourable exception reading and commenting here of course).

And realistically Symbian^3 is a stop gap / transition on the way to Symbian^4 and Meego 1.0. In a sense 2010 is something of transition year - I think Nokia is going to get more hammering this year (even with S^3), as they did last year, but perhaps people will see the horizon a bit more clearly.

morpheus - I did enjoy your turn of phrase :) Getting the most out of something is not a 'bad thing' - it is good business. And Nokia did plan to do this, it has been sign posted for sometime... although it would be fair to say they've rapidly embraced (maybe increased emphasis) it after enjoying more success in the low and mid tier than in the high end this year. The same could be said about general success in BRIC - but then you would expect Nokia to play up the positive.

The point at which you need new stuff can be debated, but I believe we'll see some action on that front shortly. Also bear in mind why you understand the strategy, a lot of people do not - we're trying to make the point to them too!

Jimmy1 14-04-2010 08:32 PM

Well, it's nice that Nokia can dominate in the low end, but I'm looking to upgrade from an E71. I need something from Nokia that's their answer to the Evo, HTC Desire or the Nexus One.

The N900 was not an option; it's been noted over and over that it's a geek's/developer's/tweeker's phone and not for the average consumer. I'm not looking to spend my days tweeking my phone. I need it to 'just work'.

I'm sure other Nokia customers like me are getting tired of waiting.

Unregistered 14-04-2010 08:40 PM

Dear God I hate to say this but if you want it to just work, get an iPhone or at least wait until June when the 4.0 version is released.

Love them or hate them, Apple delivers the best out of box user experience coupled with the eco-system backing up their devices. Nokia simply can not match this with Ovi.

Unregistered 14-04-2010 08:53 PM

bustafone
 
All you Nokia apologists/salesmen can swing it any way you want, but still these are devices with 2008 specs.

Unregistered 14-04-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 463337)
All you Nokia apologists/salesmen can swing it any way you want, but still these are devices with 2008 specs.

This will be the same story in a year from now. Like someone here said, Nokia simply can not compete in the higher end. They need to wallow in the basement where the others don't bother. There is NOTHING that Nokia has that can compete with Android, Apple, HTC on the high-end. Nothing.

Mr Mark 14-04-2010 09:10 PM

You're right - Nokia don't compete at the high end which is why half their smartphone sales last year were N and E Series.

Woops. Wrong again, Mr Unregistered.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.