All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Storage Problams (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95187)

e369258147 12-06-2010 02:47 PM

Storage Problams

Hi, I have a problam and I hope you can help me.

I'm trying to transfer an iso file 4.7 gb large to my N97. But everytime I try to copy, the phone tells me there is not enough memory. I have 28 gb free on drive E: and 7 gb free on my memory card. both give the same message.

If I try to connect the memory card directly, it works.
If I try to transfer a file about the same size that is not .iso, it works.
If I try to connect the phone and select pc suite it says "the phone denied the action" or something similar.

What can I do?

Flip95 12-06-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e369258147 (Post 468070)
Hi, I have a problam and I hope you can help me.

I'm trying to transfer an iso file 4.7 gb large to my N97. But everytime I try to copy, the phone tells me there is not enough memory. I have 28 gb free on drive E: and 7 gb free on my memory card. both give the same message.

If I try to connect the memory card directly, it works.
If I try to transfer a file about the same size that is not .iso, it works.
If I try to connect the phone and select pc suite it says "the phone denied the action" or something similar.

What can I do?

You say "transfer a file about the same size that is not .iso, it works"

.... try renaming the .iso to the same file extension that worked (e.g. zip) - and then rename it back to the original one on the phone.

e369258147 12-06-2010 03:33 PM

I tried. It doesn't work. I tried to burn it to an image file with nero (.nrg), tried compressing it with winrar, tried to rename it manually to a rar file... nothing works. It's like as long as the original is an iso, it won't let me do anything.

Does anyone else has a similar problam?

Flip95 12-06-2010 03:54 PM

How are you connecting the N97 to the PC? Mass Storage mode, or, PC Suite Mode.

I've just done some testing on my N97 and the W7-64 iso.

Running in Windows7-64, connected via OVI / PC-Suite, the ISO would not copy. Fails with a "not authorised" message.

Running in Windows7-64 connected via "mass storage mode", ISO copies fine.

Target was internal 32Gb storage.

ironass 12-06-2010 04:02 PM

Instead of PC Suite mode, try Mass Storage mode.

Gerco 13-06-2010 11:31 PM

This has nothing to do with your available memory, nor naming, nor connection type.

The file system on your mobile and your memory card is FAT32. This type of file system can only hold files up to 4Gb in size. Therefore, it is not possible to put a 4.7Gb (single) file on this type of file system. If you want to transport a file larger than 4Gb using your phone, you would have to split the file in chunks smaller than 4Gb each. This can be done with tools like WinRAR.