View Full Version : How can I disable the *@#@*&@ lock code on my N8

k3dad
26-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Help.......

Decided to setup the mail for exchange on my N8 so I could see my work emails. Worked like a charm but after a couple of hours decided I didn't like being that contactable so deleted the mailbox.

Now to the problem, during setup I was forced to enable the phone lock and had to pick an 8 digit numeric code. Fair enough I thought and went ahead. When I removed the mailbox however the lock remained in place with the default auto time of 20 minutes. When I checked in Phone management there is no option to disable this lock so I thought I could at least change the default time to something bigger but when you try, it remains at 20 mins. You also can't disable the auto time as it pops up an error message saying can't unlock phone.

Does anyone know if I'm missing something obvious here or is this something which can't be disabled once it's switched on? I've done a soft reset back to factory settings with no luck and the only other thing I can think of is re installing the firmware which seems a bit extreme.

Would like to hope there is some way to have control over this, but if not then at least it's still better than my n97.

Wishmaker
26-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Help.......

Decided to setup the mail for exchange on my N8 so I could see my work emails. Worked like a charm but after a couple of hours decided I didn't like being that contactable so deleted the mailbox.

Now to the problem, during setup I was forced to enable the phone lock and had to pick an 8 digit numeric code. Fair enough I thought and went ahead. When I removed the mailbox however the lock remained in place with the default auto time of 20 minutes. When I checked in Phone management there is no option to disable this lock so I thought I could at least change the default time to something bigger but when you try, it remains at 20 mins. You also can't disable the auto time as it pops up an error message saying can't unlock phone.

Does anyone know if I'm missing something obvious here or is this something which can't be disabled once it's switched on? I've done a soft reset back to factory settings with no luck and the only other thing I can think of is re installing the firmware which seems a bit extreme.

Would like to hope there is some way to have control over this, but if not then at least it's still better than my n97.

If you remember the code, simply put 0 instead of 20 and it will disable the autolock option. I had the autolock on my N8 but found it annoying after a while. So, I went to phone management, set 0 for auto lock period, put the code, and voila, disabled.

k3dad
26-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Hi there, thanks for the reply. Gave it a try but I'm still getting a message saying can't unlock phone even though I'm entering the correct code.

It seems to be acting as though I've still got the mail for exchange setup so is blocking any attempts to disable the autolock. This'll teach me for getting over confident.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the sugestion though......haven't posted much before so it's great knowing there are people out there always willing to lend a hand.

Wishmaker
27-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Hi there, thanks for the reply. Gave it a try but I'm still getting a message saying can't unlock phone even though I'm entering the correct code.

It seems to be acting as though I've still got the mail for exchange setup so is blocking any attempts to disable the autolock. This'll teach me for getting over confident.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the sugestion though......haven't posted much before so it's great knowing there are people out there always willing to lend a hand.

Reflash the bloody thing. Hook it up to OVI suite and reflash it!! :redface:

torrentblock
27-01-2011, 12:55 PM
i had this problem. i phoned my network provider (THREE in the UK) and they sorted it for me! (c7)

k3dad
28-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Hi again, gave up with my network and decided to go with re installing the firmware. I can confirm the user data preservation works really well, so well in fact that it left the autolock in place...:banghead: :bawling:

As I'd tried restoring back to factory settings previously the only option left was the restore and delete all data option. This, thankfully, did the trick. Now in the middle of setting it back up again and restoring all my data.

As a side note I was a bit nervous about having to use OVI suite after finding it really bad in the past on my N97 but the new version seems to be much improved. It went through all the steps pretty smoothly. It also allowed me to install the Phone App update which had failed the first time I tried.

Thanks again for the comments.:icon14: