View Full Version : USB (on the go) Flaky?

bchliu
07-01-2011, 03:06 AM
Loving the N8 - but just playing around with the USB connectivity. Has anyone noticed that this is rather flaky? A lot of times, it drops the device off (Keyboard/mouse etc). I get it working again, have to reattach it to the device and hope that it works again. Happens a lot when multitasking between apps.

Hope this is fixed in the new firmware.. :S

MontyN95
07-01-2011, 01:51 PM
noticed it when using a keyboard to input long RSS feeds into my reader

Wishmaker
08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Indeed the Keyboard/Mouse option is dodgy. Loses mine all the time but I did not buy the thing to hook it up to a computer :)

buxz777
10-01-2011, 01:11 AM
could always use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard if needed and your finding usb2go flaky

bchliu
10-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Ah.. You could, but BT times out a lot quicker and switches itself off. USB OTG however does not. Its painful to go back to a BT keyboard after you go to a toilet or whatever and find the keyboard/mouse is already turned off - you have to turn it back on and let it rejoin..

samson432
16-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Ah.. You could, but BT times out a lot quicker and switches itself off. USB OTG however does not. Its painful to go back to a BT keyboard after you go to a toilet or whatever and find the keyboard/mouse is already turned off - you have to turn it back on and let it rejoin..

I use a BT mouse with it. Although it get disconnected after a while with no usage, it will easily reconnect when I click again as long as I set BT device to be authorised.

Next , USB OTG is not the same as USB due to its 200mA low current requirement. A USB keyboard + USB mouse can easily exceed that amount. In fact some mouse I tried exceed that. Most flash drives I tried work but there were few exceptions. However, when there is an external power source to the USB devices, I found it/them to be stable. For example, an external drive I thought didn't work with N8 worked after I use a Y cable to draw additional power from my laptop. So I think if N8 were to be use like a computer, a powered USB hub would be necessary.