View Full Version : Internet Radio on Symbian^3

kev187
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I am looking to switch from my N900 to a E7 When its out?

When I click a web link for internet radio, on my N900 it opens up in the media player & I can save the radio station. Works about the same as on a computer?

How does Symbian^3 Handle Internet radio broadcasts, or can it at all? I am not talking pandora or anything, just random internet radio stations?

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

germcevoy
06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
If you want to post a link to a station I will test it for you.

kev187
06-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks

Here are a couple

http://www.bassdrive.com/v2/

I think with bass drive I used the 128k link

and..

http://www.di.fm/

DI.fm has drop menus with lots of different genres of music. Just try one of the 96K links.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kev187
07-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Anyone ;-) I am very eager to find out how Symbian^3 handles radio, its how I used my N900 in the car all the time. I dont even really listen to my MP3 collection much anymore... just internet radio stations!

evilweasel
07-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Anyone ;-) I am very eager to find out how Symbian^3 handles radio, its how I used my N900 in the car all the time. I dont even really listen to my MP3 collection much anymore... just internet radio stations!

Tried on di.fm. Clicked on a 96K link, phone then downloads a .PLS file and opens it, if I click on the link in the opened file then it asks if I want to open the link, add to book marks etc, if I open the link then the next pop up asks if I want to download the .mp3 stream, select OK then media player is launched and plays the stream.

Seems like a long winded way of handling the .PLS file, but streams it OK (only listened for a minute or so)

MontyN95
07-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Long winded first time round but I guess you can bookmark the file and launch it whenever you want. Did you have internet radio installed?

kev187
07-01-2011, 08:41 PM
wow that is alot of steps.... why does it seem symbian requires so many extra steps with issues?

but anyway.... yes....

CAN YOU BOOKMARK THE STATION ONCE YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH ALL THAT????

The form factor of the upcoming E7 looks so very nice

can someone try bassdrive.com for me just to be sure?

evilweasel
07-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Long winded first time round but I guess you can bookmark the file and launch it whenever you want. Did you have internet radio installed?

...no, I did not have internet radio installed TBF, also if there is an arse about face way of doing something, I will usual find it ;) so don't take my fumblings as gospel :)

MontyN95
07-01-2011, 11:07 PM
The internet radio app allows you to enter the address of the stream directly and you can then save it to favourites after that.
Might be quicker to do it that way

kev187
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I am well aware that the N900 is Maemo & not Symbian. I absolutely Love Maemo & am afraid to move to Symbian :-P Maemo has been good to me. But I want that huge keyboard on the E7 when it comes out. I love a good physical keyboard on a phone & the E7 looks to have the best ever possibly.

So hence why I am here asking questions about Symbian vs. Maemo ;-)

So what is this internet radio application for Symbian? its just a player for internet radio stations? I cannot find any information on it? Link?

oscarinnetawl
08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
yeah~I think is a joke!

oscarinnetawl
08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
yeah~I think is a joke!

germcevoy
09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
I am well aware that the N900 is Maemo & not Symbian. I absolutely Love Maemo & am afraid to move to Symbian :-P Maemo has been good to me. But I want that huge keyboard on the E7 when it comes out. I love a good physical keyboard on a phone & the E7 looks to have the best ever possibly.

So hence why I am here asking questions about Symbian vs. Maemo ;-)

So what is this internet radio application for Symbian? its just a player for internet radio stations? I cannot find any information on it? Link?

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/12336_The_Search_for_Internet_Radio_.php

kev187
10-01-2011, 03:46 AM
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/12336_The_Search_for_Internet_Radio_.php

Thanks, thats the kind of stuff I am looking for... now if Nokia would release the E7?????

MontyN95
10-01-2011, 07:57 PM
It should work for the E7 as it's similarly an S^3 phone

kev187
10-01-2011, 08:12 PM
It should work for the E7 as it's similarly an S^3 phone

I do not see why it would not... its just Nokia delaying getting these phones out?