View Full Version : Internal memory full

rohitoasis
15-12-2010, 05:39 PM
I was under the belief that the internal memory of 256MB in the N8 was sufficient enough as i had an N73 which had only 44MB. Within a week of buying i find that the internal memory seems as filled and empty space is zero. I have installed only fring and 3 games as apps till date.

a) Would it be due to some virulent file? Please advise.

b)Is anyone else also experiencing the same?

c) Is it common?

d)Would it slow down the system?

seki
15-12-2010, 08:02 PM
I was under the belief that the internal memory of 256MB in the N8 was sufficient enough as i had an N73 which had only 44MB. Within a week of buying i find that the internal memory seems as filled and empty space is zero. I have installed only fring and 3 games as apps till date.

a) Would it be due to some virulent file? Please advise.

b)Is anyone else also experiencing the same?

c) Is it common?

d)Would it slow down the system?

one of the games is using up way too much space .. I would move them to E: drive instead ..
Fring in my experience doesn't fill up the c: drive.

a. So no not a virulent file .. maybe a bad app
b. I haven't experienced it.
c. Your's is the first case I've heard of .. so no not common
d. yes it will if c: is "full"

so try removing / moving the games to E:

good luck!

rohitoasis
16-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Thanks. But is it possible to select an option wherein all the installations happen only in E and not the C Drive??

nbriscoeuk
16-12-2010, 07:16 AM
If you are downloading your apps from the Ovi Store then yes, it is possible. Once logged into Ovi, go to Settings and you can tell it to place all downloads in the E: drive. I did this for my N97 for obvious reasons.

If you are downloading your software from elsewhere, then it should ask you where you want to place it.

Regards
Neil

Lordhawkwind
19-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I think this is a bug. When connected to my laptop phone memory is shown as full although there appears to be no files on the drive.

On the drive in file manager it shows 171.3mb free.

I think the phone one is more accurate.

Cheers:D

strcmp
19-12-2010, 10:25 PM
No, it's not a bug although I agree it looks like one ;) It's a way to stop windows letting you drop media files onto the internal storage when you have MTP enabled. Maybe one day in some future versions of the drivers/phone software there will be an alternative but for now this is what it's supposed to do.

This is part of the new approach to help avoid filling that drive unintentionally. You'll probably have noticed that Ovi Store defaults to E now, and photos/video no longer let you choose to store things in the internal storage. It's basically now reserved for 'system use' and shouldn't be a problem any more. Apps can still put whatever files there they need to for performance or availability reasons, but users don't directly use that drive any longer. The idea is that you'd have to make specific choices to use internal storage for other things, and so it will be much less likely to run out. You can of course still use the file manager to put stuff wherever you like, but in that case you've made a choice to do that and presumably for some good reason. In general that should mean that there is enough space available for things like updates and new services, insofar as you can have any guarantees with an open OS.

MontyN95
21-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Do not install anything on the C: drive - why would you? you've got 16gb on E: so why install on 130mb on C: