View Full Version : C7: EMail client

Irishman
03-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Hello,
I have a question concerning the Symbian^3 EMail Client on the Nokia C7. Following a tutorial on the Wap Review website, I would like to set up the client to synchronise with Google Calendar and GMail. So I have configured the Mail for Exchange account on my device, which works well for Google calendar. I have chosen to synchronise only manually, as I only have a small amount of UMTS-data included from my network provider and prefer using WLAN.
Now my questions:

- Is there a possibility, that the mail client always asks, which access point to use when I start the synchronisation process (similar to the Web browser)? This would be interesting to avoid UMTS-connections, not only in the mail client application, but also, for example, in Ovi maps, which sometimes tries to connect, although I chose "Offline" in Ovi Maps Internet settings.

- Does a synchronisation mean, that all EMails in my INBOX will be downloaded to the phone? I have seen, that there is a setting like "remove mails after ... days". If I set this option in the C7 client, does this only affect the downloaded mails on the phone, or will the mails on the GMail server also be deleted? There is a similar option for the calendar synchronisation, which can delete entries older than ... days. Again, does this affect the calendar data on the GMail server?

I also can confirm, that the MfE client obviously does not work well for mails, so I am thinking about switching to a GMail IMAP account, as described on Wap Review. If I do so, are all Mails downloaded to the phone, if I synchronise manually, or can I chose to download only the newest mails or just to read them online?

Thank you very much for your help.

jerm
03-12-2010, 09:03 AM
hi

- Is there a possibility, that the mail client always asks, which access point to use when I start the synchronisation process (similar to the Web browser)? This would be interesting to avoid UMTS-connections, not only in the mail client application, but also, for example, in Ovi maps, which sometimes tries to connect, although I chose "Offline" in Ovi Maps Internet settings.
Not really...it's been designed to now bypass that as it used to be very irritating asking you about it. there may be workarounds, but as a default, you cannot choose the access point

- Does a synchronisation mean, that all EMails in my INBOX will be downloaded to the phone?
yes, inclusive of folders (if you have chosen them)

I have seen, that there is a setting like "remove mails after ... days". If I set this option in the C7 client, does this only affect the downloaded mails on the phone, or will the mails on the GMail server also be deleted?
not too sure, but i think it only delets the mails on your phone, and by saying that i mean it doesn't delete, it just doesn't download the mails older than xx days, aside from the setting which you chose to download from the last xx days (note the difference?)

There is a similar option for the calendar synchronisation, which can delete entries older than ... days. Again, does this affect the calendar data on the GMail server?
No to this too, i would think

I also can confirm, that the MfE client obviously does not work well for mails, so I am thinking about switching to a GMail IMAP account, as described on Wap Review. If I do so, are all Mails downloaded to the phone, if I synchronise manually, or can I chose to download only the newest mails or just to read them online?
if you click Decline for the TOA, you'll be pointed to set up the mail manually, so you can choose the download interval, size (headers, full mail) etc

not much but hope it helps!