View Full Version : C6-01 First Impressions

igb
02-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Got my phone from Expansys yesterday. Unlocked, SIM free with the language set to French. Why do Nokia bury the language setting so deep in the menus? On a new phone setting the language should be offered the frist time you switch the phone on.

The phone only comes with a 2G SD card, which seems a bit stingy. Good job I have the 8G one from my old 5800. There was a C6 manual (note not 01) in English and a C6-01 manual in French.

I am having a hard time using the capacitive keyboard. I have slim fingers, so it should be easy. The feedback popups don't always pop up above your finger, which seems a definite bug. However, i expect it's just a matter of practice. I find typing on my son's iPod screen hard.

Apart from those moans, generally very impressed. Screen is a definite improvement on screens on other devices around the house. I like the multi home screen concept, but need to set it up properly. Managed to get my contacts synced with Google with too much hassle. However, haven't yet got it to talk to my imap 4 server. I expect this is a settings error on my part.

Transferred photos and videos from my 5800 with no problem. Installed the Nokia Podcatcher and SportsTracker, which recognised all my old bike rides with no problem.

Played about with the camera, which seems an improvement on the 5800.

Ian.

N/A
03-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Why do Nokia bury the language setting so deep in the menus? On a new phone setting the language should be offered the frist time you switch the phone on.

The default language is set by the default language of the region/country the phone is being manufactured for.

If a SIM card is inserted when the phone boots up, then default language is picked up from the SIM cards (network country code), and overrides the device default (if the phone supports the language that the SIM card's country code is mapped to).

I suppose the idea there is that for most people that's automatically correct without having to bother phone users with too many boot up questions.

Other than that, I assume that it is possible that Nokia could make it easier to find the language selection (or any other setting), if they deemed it to be of high enough priority compared to other things on their todo list of things.