View Full Version : Can I sync my N8 calendar with Google and Ovi?

tawalker
30-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I have a slightly complicated synchronisation "system" for my calendar and contacts data, and at the moment I haven't got it working properly, so I hope someone here can tell me if it's possible :D

Basically, I would like to sync my calendar and contacts between these four locations:

my N8;
our Mac;
my Google Calendar/Contacts; and
my Ovi account.

So far; I have managed to sync the following successfully:

N8 and Mac (via iSync); and
N8 and Ovi (via Ovi Sync on the N8).

Yep, guess where the problem lies: syncing with Google. So far, I've found two possible methods to do this with the N8:

using the N8's Mail for Exchange client, but only choosing to use the calendar/contacts sync (i.e. not the email); and
using the "Sync" utility (Settings - Connectivity - Data transfer - Sync), via the GooSync (SyncML) service.

I'm wary of using MfE, as last time I tried that, it wiped my contacts on the N8, despite me specifying that contacts were not to be touched. Furthermore, the GooSync approach doesn't work either, as the Sync log complains of an "invalid remote database" (all the login details for GooSync are correct, BTW).

I also recall that the MfE client recommends not syncing with any other data sources, as there is a risk of data being spoilt.

In short: has anyone found a way to sync their Symbian^3 device with both Ovi and Google - and if so, how - or will I have to choose one and stop using the other? (If I had to do this, I'd probably go with Google, but I'd rather not have to choose if I can help it.)

Many thanks for any help you can give :)

Tim

jerm
01-12-2010, 05:08 AM
have you tried Synble's GoogaSync? not sure if that's the GooSync you're talking about

another method is to sync your mac with google on the desktop (2-way sync), then sync your phone with the mac, or using Synble's offering

tawalker
01-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi germ,

have you tried Synble's GoogaSync? not sure if that's the GooSync you're talking about

Nope - I've only just heard of GoogaSync :) GooSync (http://www.goosync.com/) is a SyncML-based Google sync service, which I've used on and off for a couple of years now. I think I'll look at GoogaSync as well, especially if GooSync continues not to work for me.

I have wondered about using the Mac as the "primary" sync source, but that poses two problems:

Assuming it's possible to sync iCal on the Mac with Google Calendar (instead of just "subscribing" to GC from iCal, which AFAIK doesn't create local copies of calendar items on the Mac), I haven't found out how to do it.
I'd prefer my primary calendar source to be available to me as much as possible, and our Mac stays at home ;-)

Think I'll have to experiment a bit more, but thanks for suggesting GoogaSync!

Tim

tawalker
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
I've taken a brief look at GoogaSync, and have two reservations: it appears to sync only calendar items (not contacts); and it costs 15 after an initial 15-day trial. The charge wouldn't really be a show-stopper, but I would like to be able to sync calendar and contact info with Google if possible.

So, I think I'll give the Exchange client another try, but I'll ensure I have an up-to-date backup of the N8 Contacts database before I do...

JayTay
01-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Assuming it's possible to sync iCal on the Mac with Google Calendar (instead of just "subscribing" to GC from iCal, which AFAIK doesn't create local copies of calendar items on the Mac), I haven't found out how to do it.

You can do so as that's how I sync my Mac and my phone. Depends which version of OS X you're on though I believe.

My set-up is:
iCal is "primary" source for my non-work calendar.
iCal is connected to my primary Google account along with a number of shared Google calendars.
iCal is also connected to my work Exchange calendar.

I sync my N8 directly OTA with the Exchange account (where most of my calendar entries come from) and then I sync to iCal on my Mac every few days or so to pick up the non-work entries. In theory I could shift my iCal calendar subscriptions to Google and sync OTA with the N8 but I'm wary of it all going wrong!

I have yet to do so but am hoping to use Salling Clicker to automatically carry out an iSync whenever my phone is in range of the Mac which will make the process easier.....