View Full Version : N8 Power Management Problem

xerxes
18-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Has anyone experienced this power management issue?

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/11/18/nokia-confirms-n8-power-management-issue/

Or is it just the press talking up Nokia problems again?

GeeBee
20-11-2010, 08:33 AM
I took delivery of a lime-green N8 (made in Finland) November 16 and started using it, installing apps and so on. This involved 3 or 4 re-starts, but all was well and it did everything as advertised. Yesterday (the 20th), I was looking at the headlines including "Nokia N8 power issue" and watched the video on Nokia Conversations out of curiosity.

"Hm. Good thing my N8 doesn't have that problem", I thought and picked it up. But surprisingly, it had turned itself off...and I couldn't turn it back on! Not for lack of power, the battery was almost full. No amount of button-pressing and charging brought it
back to life. So, on my way home, I dropped it off at the service center.

But what a coincidence. Or...can reading about this issue induce the power problem in your N8?

Gert

nilsrock
24-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I've experienced this issue with my N8. I sent it to Nokia Care and they formatted it, installed the new firmware that was released while I was waiting for them to service my phone. The service process took two weeks.

After I got my phone back it shut down after about two minutes of use and would not start again for twenty minutes. The exact same problem as before.

I sent the phone to Nokia Care again last monday (2010-11-15) and have yet to heare from them again.

sapporobaby
25-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Interesting how Steve and Co never bothered to report this. I tweeted Steve about this and he back a bit indignant. Said it is a non-story. Well that would be great if my friend at Nokia said the same or if some of the operator stores were not experiencing quite a few returns. I guess for Steve and Co, unless it is a good story they will not bother to report it. Decided I no want to follow his highness on Twitter anymore. What a.... whatever..... No more respect or credibility in my book.

bchliu
25-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Steve only pays what Nokia tells him unfortunately..

nilsrock
27-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I can understand that AAS does not report about this issue since this is a borderline "fan-site".

I'm much more dissapointed by the sloppy work of the Nokia care point here in Sweden. I hope they will do a better job of it this second time around.

As to the acutal issue (power managment problem) I am also dissapointed , though I realise that this sort of thing can happen when a new product is released.

Aside from the shutdowns and power on issues I really liked my N8.

xerxes
27-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Does anyone know what the fix for this actually is? Is it a software issue or is there a hardware fault?

I am still toying with the idea of getting an N8 as a 2nd phone purely because of the camera, but I'm not going to lay out any cash until this is resolved.

nilsrock
27-11-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't belive there is or will be a software fix. The only fix that I've read about is a new phone.

Only a small portion of N8:s has this problem so you probably don't have to worry about it... (..according to Nokia, and I tend to belive them since the Nokia support forum isn't flooded with threads about this.)

phessler
27-11-2010, 10:44 PM
All I can really say, is that I have an N8, and I do not have this issue. I hope you guys get your phones fixed.