View Full Version : Has anyone moved from an iPhone to the N8?

xerxes
17-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Has anyone moved from an iPhone to the N8?

I am thinking about it and I'm wondering what pros and cons others have found.

Telecaster
17-11-2010, 06:02 PM
That is an interesting question, may I ask why you consider changing?

Cheers
Mike

xerxes
17-11-2010, 06:24 PM
That is an interesting question, may I ask why you consider changing?

Cheers
Mike

I have a couple of reasons.

As has been pretty well reported, the iPhone is a great little Internet tablet and app platform but it sucks as a phone. Signal strength on any network is always considerably weaker than for my old N95. I'm not talking about bars on the signal meter. I am talking about clarity of calls and the ability to actually make or receive a call.

I would also like to go back to having a good camera on my phone. I have noticed that I have taken far fewer pictures in the last year whilst I have been using the iPhone.

Telecaster
17-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Thank you for the explanation, I seem to hear that a lot from iPhone owners, all I can say is you wont be disappointed.
No I do not have theiPhone but a lot of friends have them.

Cheers
Mike

buxz777
17-11-2010, 11:29 PM
ive been a nokia user for years back to the 6680 in terms of symbian

after the n97 i grabbed an iphone4 as i knew the selling price was good and the n8 wasnt out yet

i enjoyed my time with the iphone4 its a nice phone and does stuff well infact id go as far as too say it has the best touch screen on any device in terms of sensitivity and useabillity

the gaming is superb and game center has added to this but i found when the device wow factor wore off i was left with a phone that was good for playing games and for internet and music

the camera is terrible with fake colours and awfull flash , the connectivity terrible , the ui gets boring ie i have to hack to change themes and sms tones , itunes is ok but annoying having to use it and only being able to sync 5 pc's , annoying having apple cables like charger and tv out cable , not alot of codec support , no flash in web , weak signal in low areas

like i say i did enjoy the iphone4 for the what 3 months i had it but iam glad to have the n8 which offers alot more in terms of versatillity to a power user and even the average user

you can use the camera at night , you can connect to hd tellys , plays divx/avi etc out of box , any tv out cable works , two methods of charging one universal , usb2go , better signal , more sturdy design metal vs glass , all cables in the box for handset , fm transmitter for other peoples cars etc , bluetooth mouse and keyboard combo , 3d gaming on tv out or hdmi out , plaing sat nav directions via fm transmitter , uploading pics from camera to n8 on the fly via usb2go then emailing them there and then in the hilltops , using usb2go to copy data from the n8 to a sd card so you can free memory up on the n8 etc etc etc

the n8 does everything the iphone4 does , somethings it doesnt do as pretty but the o/s is just as functinal if not even more so as you have more options and customabillity etc and dont have to void your warranty just to install a theme apple doesnt want you to have

you can get the n8 for 330 compared to the iphone4 16gb model at about 500 thats a big price difference i pocketed a load of cash and got a great phone in the n8 which is just so much more versatile then the iphone

i had a 32gb iphone4 and got 500 for it , i got the n8 on release day and paid 430 so onl made 70s but you could easily get 400-500 for the iphone4 and get the n8 for 330 so youd make at least 70 quid and get a great handset

not everyone is the same though and we all have different tastes you may love the iphone4 and hate the n8 but its a good phone and worth checking out

i certainly havent missed it and like i say after the wow factors worn off on the iphone4 your not left with much apart from a good gaming platform and music and internet tablet type device

seki
17-11-2010, 11:32 PM
an iPhone 4 and an N8.

I use my N8 as my personal phone and use the iPhone for work related stuff. With a couple of exceptions.

Facebook and web browsing. the iPhone is better in both these.

tulloch
17-11-2010, 11:58 PM
plaing sat nav directions via fm transmitter
Can you explain how you achieved that please? I had been looking forward to that feature but when I tried it the phone displayed a message stating that the FM transmitter was being disabled while navigation was in use.

JayTay
18-11-2010, 10:07 AM
A friend at work switched, he wrote about it here: http://neverandforever.com/wp/chronology/2010/11/my-n8-review/#comments

clonmult
18-11-2010, 11:13 AM
an iPhone 4 and an N8.

I use my N8 as my personal phone and use the iPhone for work related stuff. With a couple of exceptions.

Facebook and web browsing. the iPhone is better in both these.

The iOS facebook client is by far and away the best of them all - be it Android, iOS, Symbian, WM ..... it really is slick.

The Symbian social application tries to be clever and merge Twitter and Facebook streams into one and doesn't do either particularly well.

xerxes
18-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

I have been using a 3GS for about 18 months, mainly because my company only supports iphones and blackberry for calendar sync and vpn access.

Thats still going to be an issue but I'm thinking of maybe moving to an N8 and iPad. Maybe the best thing would be to get an N8 from a web store where I can return it if I can't live with the keyboard etc. I really need to try it out to see whether it will be too limiting in my company environment.

I did have a play with an iphone 4 today. Not particularly impressed. There didn't seem to be much improvement over the 3GS. The camera seemed quite quick and fairly decent under flourescent lights but I've read too much about poor colours and white balance.

xerxes
18-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Forgot to mention that I don't care at all about social networks.

buxz777
19-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Can you explain how you achieved that please? I had been looking forward to that feature but when I tried it the phone displayed a message stating that the FM transmitter was being disabled while navigation was in use.

start music via fm trasmitter then try using sat nav it should either pause your music or lower the volume of the music

i mainly use bluetooth connection for streaming so id have to double check let me know if the above doesnt work

cheers

tulloch
19-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks, just tried that and the music did keep streaming via FM but the navigation instructions came from the phone speaker only. The music did fade during instructions though.

xerxes
27-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I have decided not to switch right now but I'll be keeping my eye on what else Nokia brings out over the next 6 - 12 months.

bchliu
28-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I had an iphone 4 for one week and hated the fact that to do anything decent, I needed to jail break it. It didnt help when the phone was also SIM Locked to a different provider and had accidentally updated it to the latest firmware and baseband. Not worth the hassle.. Better off with my N8/N900/Ipod touch combo if you ask me!

nilsrock
28-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I've moved from an iPhone 3G to N8.

What I like about the N8
+ Full multitasking
+ The camera
+ Navigation
+ I don't have to use iTunes syncing just to transfer a file
+ Sound quality and strength (speaker and phone, headphones I have not tested)
+ Video playback
+ Widgets

What I miss from my iPhone
- Internet browser
(Hopefully this will change with the new Nokia browser. Opera mobile/mini is ok for now.)

Now I've temporarily changed back to my iPhone since my N8 has the power management problem and is at Nokia service.

sapporobaby
29-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I've moved from an iPhone 3G to N8.

What I like about the N8
+ Full multitasking
+ The camera
+ Navigation
+ I don't have to use iTunes syncing just to transfer a file
+ Sound quality and strength (speaker and phone, headphones I have not tested)
+ Video playback
+ Widgets

What I miss from my iPhone
- Internet browser
(Hopefully this will change with the new Nokia browser. Opera mobile/mini is ok for now.)

Now I've temporarily changed back to my iPhone since my N8 has the power management problem and is at Nokia service.

Generally I no longer post on AAS. I really see no point in it, however I feel a bit forced to answer some of the misconceptions floating around this thread.

+Full Mutli-tasking. The iPhone has had multi-tasking since version 1.0. What it did not have was 3rd party multi-tasking because in Apple's view it was not suitable to the way Apple felt it would be as energy efficient as possible. Second, ask the average person on the street which phones can multi-task and they would not have a clue. Thanks to sites like AAS, people are clamoring about things that they have no idea about.
+Camera. No brainer here. The N8 camera is great. When the OS is not up to par, the hardware better be.
+Navigation. Great. Nokia has pretty good navigation and it's free. The 3rd party nave solutions for the iPhone are equally as good. As this is not Apple's core business why get in the navigation area. Simply supply a platform for developers to develop for. Pretty simple.
+iTunes is pretty ubiquitous and common place. Some people like it, some don't. I like the fact that I can buy a movie, and download it in less than 5 mins (I have 200 Mbps at home) and I am out the door. No ripping or encoding. Putting a file on the iPhone is pretty simple even with iTunes, so the argument is a matter of taste rather than that of function.
+Sound quality. I concede this as I am not quite sure what you mean but the speaker on the iPhone is not mean to provide stereo quality. This is what headphones are phone I guess.
+Vid playback. Are you kidding? The iPhone is a media device that happens to make phone calls.
+Widgets. Agreed, but again unless they can be used unintrusively or a drain on battery, Apple will not see fit to allow them. It is all about the end user experience.

germcevoy
30-11-2010, 12:06 AM
I went from an iPhone 4 to an N8 and do not regret it. I just couldn't stand the iPhone. Apart from a few standout apps I just couldn't get used to it. It was too square and awkward to hold, loudspeaker was poor, reception issues, absolute lack of customization other than wallpaper (my main reason for getting rid of it) and I couldn't stand the itunes reliance. The battery life was excellent though and the screen rather nice.

It felt like more of a 'gadget' or a small tablet to me than a phone so I hopped on Android for a bit then back to Symbian. Haven't yet regretted it.

xerxes
30-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Generally I no longer post on AAS. I really see no point in it, however I feel a bit forced to answer some of the misconceptions floating around this thread.

+Full Mutli-tasking. The iPhone has had multi-tasking since version 1.0. What it did not have was 3rd party multi-tasking because in Apple's view it was not suitable to the way Apple felt it would be as energy efficient as possible. Second, ask the average person on the street which phones can multi-task and they would not have a clue. Thanks to sites like AAS, people are clamoring about things that they have no idea about.
+Camera. No brainer here. The N8 camera is great. When the OS is not up to par, the hardware better be.
+Navigation. Great. Nokia has pretty good navigation and it's free. The 3rd party nave solutions for the iPhone are equally as good. As this is not Apple's core business why get in the navigation area. Simply supply a platform for developers to develop for. Pretty simple.
+iTunes is pretty ubiquitous and common place. Some people like it, some don't. I like the fact that I can buy a movie, and download it in less than 5 mins (I have 200 Mbps at home) and I am out the door. No ripping or encoding. Putting a file on the iPhone is pretty simple even with iTunes, so the argument is a matter of taste rather than that of function.
+Sound quality. I concede this as I am not quite sure what you mean but the speaker on the iPhone is not mean to provide stereo quality. This is what headphones are phone I guess.
+Vid playback. Are you kidding? The iPhone is a media device that happens to make phone calls.
+Widgets. Agreed, but again unless they can be used unintrusively or a drain on battery, Apple will not see fit to allow them. It is all about the end user experience.

I started this thread because I wanted to know if anyone had moved from an iPhone to an N8 and what their experiences might have been. I made it plain that I am a current iPhone user and have been for the last 18 months.

Assuming that the people who post on this thread are all current or ex-iPhone users we are all aware of the device's strengths as well as its numerous weaknesses. What I, and presumably the majority of others who frequent a Symbian oriented site, want to know is whether the shortcomings of the new Symbian platform are easier to live with than the shortcomings of the iOS platform (on the iPhone - the iPad is beyond question the best tablet on the market right now). Because that's all a smartphone buying decision is or should be - deciding which set of compromises is easiest to live with.

Nobody ever sees any value in this "I must leap to the defence of my device" type of response so, with respect, unless you have at least tried moving from your iPhone to an N8 I would agree with your earlier comment - there is no point in you posting in this thread.

xerxes
30-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I went from an iPhone 4 to an N8 and do not regret it. I just couldn't stand the iPhone. Apart from a few standout apps I just couldn't get used to it. It was too square and awkward to hold, loudspeaker was poor, reception issues, absolute lack of customization other than wallpaper (my main reason for getting rid of it) and I couldn't stand the itunes reliance. The battery life was excellent though and the screen rather nice.

It felt like more of a 'gadget' or a small tablet to me than a phone so I hopped on Android for a bit then back to Symbian. Haven't yet regretted it.

Thanks for the response. I have decided to hang fire for a while to see whether the power management issue is resolved after Christmas.

Irvingg
06-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Yea i think everyone has moved from an iphone to the n8.
n8 is really amazing cellphone its provide us every type of software or every think in it.that is why every has moved from iphone to n8.

ClockworkZombie
06-12-2010, 11:43 AM
A tangential thread hijack.
I am still using an N95 and joikuspot for computer & ipad action when needed.

How many people are using a Nokia handset and an iOS device for the stuff that isn't telephony?

What do people think of the call reception and call making qualities of the iPhone 4 compared to say my N95 or the more recent N97?

JayTay
06-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Me! I use my N8 with my iPad most days.

wardy
10-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I have just got the N8 and was an Iphone 4 user.

After a week of N8 use here is my view

N8

So nice to be able to bluetooth something
Solid device and good screen
Email client seems slower than the Iphone opening up but good none the less
Email seems to have difficulty in downloading all images in emails
Just one Exchange account option :o(
Love the widgets
FM transmitter is way cool (Car use)
Calendar is ok but not as visual as iphone
Doesn't support Caldav unless you import through Beta Labs calendar (OVI)
Apps but guess this should pick up with time
TV out is a godsend in HDMI 720p
Camera is excellent
Social interaction is in very early stages but good
Menus oh and more menus and customisation is all down to you not dictated by Nokia ( I like this )
Web browser is hmmm a little under par with not just the iphone (Apparently to be updated)
Reception is excellent ---- EVERYWHERE !
Plays just about any format of video or music format
Free Navigation GPS ( FREE !!!! ) and it works :)
Supports Java apps

Iphone ( What I miss)

Notifications
Web browser
Email client ( Exchange )
Calendar ( Support for Google etc)

Iphone ( What I dont miss)

It works how Apple tell you it works and thats it , no customisation etc or very limited

Am I happy with the N8 . Yes I am . Its a new device so I am not expecting it to be a 100 % straight out the box but I think now is the time to skip back to Symbian . With all the interest in getting the platform back up there it should see some good updates

ClockworkZombie
10-12-2010, 10:10 PM
@wardy
Thanks for your response.

How would you rate the call reception/ signal strength compared to the iphone 4?

Also how is the quality of the voice calls compared to the iPhone 4? I mean the voice of someone calling you, doe it sound natural and clear for example.

Thanks again.

wardy
12-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Reception as usual being a Nokia is best in class . The call quality as usual with Nokia is crisp and clear. You need to remember that Nokia are the best phones on the market in this area .

I never have dropped calls , transition between 3g and 2g is flawless, you'd be hard pushed to find a phone on par with Nokia in this area .

Alas though I am having battery problems and not the run times others are reporting . Mine is going flat at 8 hours just standby . I have just removed the sd card to see if this is causing the issue .

I don't want to turn the phone onto power save mode as I need internet connection and mail all day

ClockworkZombie
12-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for your reply Wardy.

That was the answer I was hoping to hear. I am not quite ready yet to change my N95. I am keeping abreast of things in case something happens to it.

I increased my useable battery life by turning off bluetooth and only using it as required.

I prefer to connect a USB cable to my computer to sync data for example.

With laptops display brightness is one of the main battery life users, perhaps you could turn the brightness down if you have not already done so.

Also Mr Litchfield has talked about mobile battery packs to top up a handset battery or replacing the battery with a second charged battery when needed.

xerxes
12-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I have just got the N8 and was an Iphone 4 user.

After a week of N8 use here is my view

N8

So nice to be able to bluetooth something
Solid device and good screen
Email client seems slower than the Iphone opening up but good none the less
Email seems to have difficulty in downloading all images in emails
Just one Exchange account option :o(
Love the widgets
FM transmitter is way cool (Car use)
Calendar is ok but not as visual as iphone
Doesn't support Caldav unless you import through Beta Labs calendar (OVI)
Apps but guess this should pick up with time
TV out is a godsend in HDMI 720p
Camera is excellent
Social interaction is in very early stages but good
Menus oh and more menus and customisation is all down to you not dictated by Nokia ( I like this )
Web browser is hmmm a little under par with not just the iphone (Apparently to be updated)
Reception is excellent ---- EVERYWHERE !
Plays just about any format of video or music format
Free Navigation GPS ( FREE !!!! ) and it works :)
Supports Java apps

Iphone ( What I miss)

Notifications
Web browser
Email client ( Exchange )
Calendar ( Support for Google etc)

Iphone ( What I dont miss)

It works how Apple tell you it works and thats it , no customisation etc or very limited

Am I happy with the N8 . Yes I am . Its a new device so I am not expecting it to be a 100 % straight out the box but I think now is the time to skip back to Symbian . With all the interest in getting the platform back up there it should see some good updates

Thanks for your response Wardy. This is exactly the sort of info I was looking for. So the N8 looks pretty positive overall but the power management problem and the battery problems that we sometimes hear about are a bit off-putting.

ClockworkZombie
12-12-2010, 09:14 PM
@Wardy again.

If you purchase another battery and it is better than the one that shipped with it you then can get the original replaced as a warranty repair.

If both batteries have the same life then you know there is not much you can do apart from changing the way you use your phone.

wenglishboy
15-12-2010, 01:33 AM
I completely agree with Wardy above - had a 3gs for 6months now had my n8 since release day and although im disappointed on several fronts compared to the 3gs, I am very optimistic for the future of the phone and the platform.

-I find the email very slow and clunky
-Web browser is soooo slow - even opera is slower than the iphone
-Apps - i just feel that 80% of the ones currently available are pointless blogs (I really miss iphone apps which seem better presented - trainline app is the best we have so far)
-small annoyances to remind you that the os is for use with proper buttons i.e. there are so many times where you have to press what you want and then press again to select as if ive had to move a dpad to my option and then press the button to select)
-the battery on the n8 is pants
The iphone is just so much more easier to use and the slightly wider screen gives a much more comfortable keyboard in landscape. I miss being able to plug it into the speaker dock.
I feel Nokia could have got it a little better knowing the competition they are facing.
I know I probably sound like i hate the n8 but i don`t, I just really want nokia to pull their finger out. I am really looking forward to the coming months no though.

JayTay
15-12-2010, 09:41 AM
-the battery on the n8 is pants

What battery life are you getting? Mine lasts around two days on average and that's pretty good for a smartphone (and certainly better than the few people I know that own an iPhone 4)

kivoleung
16-12-2010, 09:22 AM
I have iPhone 3G and then changed to iPhone 4. And I got N8 recently. I can say the usage of N8 is more frequently than iPhone now. When I'm driving, I use N8's FM transmitter to playback my MP3 collections in the phone. Sometimes, using OVI map for navigation. Photos shooting and video capturing will only use the new N8 phone to do so. Then upload to facebook very easy by using Pixelpipe. I'm going to store my working files into N8 now so that I can fully utilize the mail client to send attachment files.
However, still waiting for an improved web browser as the default fonts are always not optimized to proper size for good surfing. So, sometimes still need to use iPhone's Safari for web surfing.

xerxes
16-12-2010, 07:06 PM
The only two apps that I use on my iPhone that I don't think are available on the N8 are Dropbox and Evernote. Has anyone found a replacement for them?

matthewrleech
01-02-2011, 09:06 AM
The only two apps that I use on my iPhone that I don't think are available on the N8 are Dropbox and Evernote. Has anyone found a replacement for them?

I have not used Dropbox or Evernote so I don't know what functions they provide, but Pixelpipe is available for the N8 and both protocols are supported.

Pixelpipe for N8 on OVI Store (http://store.ovi.com/content/51490)

xerxes
02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
I have not used Dropbox or Evernote so I don't know what functions they provide, but Pixelpipe is available for the N8 and both protocols are supported.

Pixelpipe for N8 on OVI Store (http://store.ovi.com/content/51490)

Thanks for the link.

JayTay
02-02-2011, 04:20 PM

For Evernote see http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14358

tym79m
03-02-2011, 02:50 AM

This might work for Dropbox: http://lifehacker.com/5706948/dropdav-lets-you-access-your-dropbox-via-webdav

Or, if you just want cloud storage and aren't particularly attached to Dropbox, there's this: https://www.sugarsync.com/

Evernote's way cool. Nothing like that for S^3 right now as far as I know.

I kind of wish Nokia would bring back the much maligned Lifeblog, which was the closest thing to Evernote for Symbian that I can think of. I quite liked it and only stopped using it because I couldn't select where it stored things.