View Full Version : Swype available on N8 once again

bchliu
12-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Finally.. Swype is available on the N8 once again after being taken off from OVI due to bugs and uninstallation problems..

http://store.ovi.com/content/58438

Woo hoo!

stewart01
12-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Swype is excellent, though only complaint is that is takes up too much screen real estate. Shame it isn't split screen either.. not sure of thats just an API limitation of Symbian^3 / S60.

If Nokia put a little effort in to the virtual keyboard, they too could make a good keyboard. A keyboard that looks like a real keyboard makes all the difference and immediately becomes more usable. No, instead the standard nokia keyboard is complete garbage.

I'm also wondering, I can't press shift and a key at the same time - this isn't a limitation of the multi-touch implementation, since other apps allow you do to this - recognize two touches at the same time ( hence multitouch ).

jerm
12-11-2010, 01:39 PM
in reply to this, has anyone tried this particular version yet? is it like, finally uninstall-able?

stewart01
12-11-2010, 01:55 PM
in reply to this, has anyone tried this particular version yet? is it like, finally uninstall-able?

Its the official release, so I guess it can be uninstalled too. It works very well.

rexdude
12-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Works fine. If you're upgrading it, first disable Swype input method, then only go to Ovi store to install it. Requires a reboot before it starts working properly.
The older version did not save your preferences when you closed it, this one does now.

greycounciller
12-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Also, I found that when I tried it, I couldn't disable it when I didn't want to use it so had to uninstal it.
Can you now switch between different writing styles if needed?

bchliu
12-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Swype is excellent, though only complaint is that is takes up too much screen real estate. Shame it isn't split screen either.. not sure of thats just an API limitation of Symbian^3 / S60.

The S60 version is split screen when in Portrait mode. This version is still Landscape only - apparently they need to fix something in the firmware before it will work in portrait - which will allow split screen.

Agreed about taking up too much real estate - but even the Android version does the same in landscape mode (taking up full screen and cannot see underneath).

DVDJames
15-11-2010, 02:07 PM
"once again" "finally"? this is the first version for the N8 as far as I'm aware so there can't have been any bugs, just people running software not designed for the N8 on the N8.

ckj69
18-11-2010, 09:05 AM
downloaded latest version last week end. works fine. still no potrait version but hopefully no too long and hopefully have it direct in screen instead of in swype mode and then transfer to the screen (web etc) that you were in....

but so far so good

bchliu
18-11-2010, 10:18 AM
"once again" "finally"? this is the first version for the N8 as far as I'm aware so there can't have been any bugs, just people running software not designed for the N8 on the N8.

No.. the previous version was available for the N8 but got pulled after people reported issues. They then made it only for the other phones ("not available for the N8") but that changed last week and it is officially available once again with the newer version.

DVDJames
19-11-2010, 08:38 AM
No.. the previous version was available for the N8 but got pulled after people reported issues. They then made it only for the other phones ("not available for the N8") but that changed last week and it is officially available once again with the newer version.

Are you sure? On this website a chap from Swipe was quoted as saying "I would first like to point out that Swype is only listed as available for the C7 in the OVI store. It is not yet available or supported on other Nokia model phones. Please let us know if you saw Swype when browsing the OVI store using your N8, as that is an issue we would need to follow up on. Following the link posted in the above article directly to the download is not a supported installation method for Swype on Symbian."

greycounciller
19-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Are you sure? On this website a chap from Swipe was quoted as saying "I would first like to point out that Swype is only listed as available for the C7 in the OVI store. It is not yet available or supported on other Nokia model phones. Please let us know if you saw Swype when browsing the OVI store using your N8, as that is an issue we would need to follow up on. Following the link posted in the above article directly to the download is not a supported installation method for Swype on Symbian."

I think the reason it was pulled was that previously, once enabled, you couldn't turn it off without having to restart the phone. As that issue's changed, maybe that's way it available to use on the N8