View Full Version : N8 Compass and Ovi Maps

tulloch
01-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Has anyone got the compass to function in maps. The map does not want to rotate on mine.

Also, I downloaded a compass app (the free one) from the Ovi store but found it to be 180 degrees out, i.e. showing South where North is. Anyone else tried this and found it to be accurate?

Rewes
02-11-2010, 09:27 AM
The compass seems to be working fine but only when I'm outside.

ironass
02-11-2010, 10:11 AM
The compass seems to be working fine but only when I'm outside.

I'm afraid that for the GPS to function properly, and get an accurate and strong fix, you need to be outside with a clear view of the sky.

However, there are ways to enhance this signal, even indoors.

See this post on Maps here:-

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325

Hope this helps. :D

tulloch
02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I admit I have not tried it outside yet but the cripplephone compass works perfectly well indoors so I would expect the N8 compass to work just as well. I'll try it outside at lunchtime.

Stephen337
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
I found that the compass only rotates the map when in 'walk' navigation mode not 'drive' navigation mode.

ironass
02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I admit I have not tried it outside yet but the cripplephone compass works perfectly well indoors so I would expect the N8 compass to work just as well. I'll try it outside at lunchtime.

That is because the iPhone has Maps Booster.

tulloch
02-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Does the N8 not have Nokia's version of the maps booster technology? I thought I read somewhere that you don't need to install maps booster on the N8.

N8Owner
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I found that the compass only rotates the map when in 'walk' navigation mode not 'drive' navigation mode.
Click on the little circle with a little arrow on it (bottom left). This will make the map rotate instead of always pointing 'up' when driving.

ironass
02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Does the N8 not have Nokia's version of the maps booster technology? I thought I read somewhere that you don't need to install maps booster on the N8.

Yes it does have WiFi positioning but its network is not as mature as Maps Booster's yet.

To calibrate the compass you could try moving the handset in a figure of 8 motion for about 10 sec's and then, as N8Owner suggests, tap on the compass.

I should point out that because of various signal issues, that Maps may not be as accurate in some parts of the U.S. as it is in, say, Europe.

tulloch
02-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Well it's working now. Previously, any time I tapped the compass icon on the map the circle around it turned red. Now it turns yellow (or is it green?) and the map rotates as you would expect. Strange.

dstokoe
02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
I've never had an issue with getting a GPS fix within seconds, even indoors (UK). :)

Anyway, has anyone tried the new 3.06 Maps Beta? It seems much faster, improved traffic info and has pinch to zoom enabled too. I initially had an issue last week where it wouldn't install and after feeding that back to the Maps team they said that they were aware of it and a new version was due soon. True to their word they emailed a new SIS today which installed fine - impressive support :icon14:

JayTay
02-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Well it's working now. Previously, any time I tapped the compass icon on the map the circle around it turned red. Now it turns yellow (or is it green?) and the map rotates as you would expect. Strange.

When it's red the compass is currently uncalibrated. It then goes to yellow when it's "halfway" and green when it's all done. The quickest way to calibrate can be seen here (http://thenokiablog.com/2009/07/22/nokia-n97-compass-calibration-trick/)

tulloch
03-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the tip, all green now and working fine. :icon14:

N8Owner
03-11-2010, 10:33 PM
New Beta Version is out and I like it. It now has pinch zoom but no navigation to your contacts from within the app itself. I have been requesting this for over 1 year now. Maybe they will listen to me eventually.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-306/download_and_installation?all=1