View Full Version : Getting the N8 to work with PC Suite

jerm
01-11-2010, 12:42 AM
I put this up over at the N97 forum before the N8 one was created. Here's a method to get the N8 working with PC Suite, not OVI Shite...i mean Suite

So, i bit the bullet and got myself an N8!

It seems that Ovi Suite doesn't play nice with Outlook 2010 (nothing new with OVI Suite), often giving the error 80043c93 when trying to sync contacts/calendar to the phone/Outlook during conflict resolution.

PC Suite 7.1.50 doesn't really work either, giving an error that "this phone is not supported". After trawling around the interwebs and nokia forums, i've come to a workaround that enables you to sync your phone's calendar and contacts (among others) to Outlook, with some caveats.

1. Install PC Suite 7.1.50.xx (the latest version available)
2. Install OVI Suite that came with the N8
3. Remove PC Suite 7.1.50.xx
4. Do not restart if asked
5. Install PC Suite 7.1.30.9
6. Run PC Suite, complete phone install, pairing
7. Set up Sync

This works wonderfully, as i now have a fully populated Calendar, and my Contacts are all in sync.

The caveats i spoke of however are:
1. In PC Suite, you won't be able to see your calendar entries (rest assured, they're still there)
2. Version 7.1.30.9 may not play nice with Windows 7 (i'm using XP SP3)

All in all, if you truly need the sync, you can follow what i did above, it works for me, for some others, and likely will work for you too.

You can get PC Suite 7.1.30.9 from here (http://www.hotshare.net/en/file/173547-9390202969.html).

Spread the word around if you have encountered others having the same problem, always glad to help.

Cheers!

SnaxMuppet
15-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks for that jerm. That worked for me but it has synced to a calendar called PC Suite instead of the personal calendar on the N8.

Any idea how to get it to sync to the Personal calendar?

jerm
16-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Unfortunately it can't do that. what you can do is go to Calendar -> Manage Calendars and then Hide the Personal Calendar. I for one do not use multiple calendars, so i leave it at that.

SnaxMuppet
16-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks. Yes, that is what I have done. However, I use Handy Calendar and that does not have the capability to chose which calendar it uses.

It all works but for now it seems I shall have to stop using Handy Calendar until they release a Symbian^3 version.

Thanks again.

saboganunes
02-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Maybe this is not the right place to put my quest but someone might give me a suggestion. I would like to use OVI with my N8 to send bulk sms messages (I have files of 500 numbers semarated by " ; " in notepad files. Before, I used the 5800 and copied the numbers from the notepad files pasted them in to the "contact" field, and they were on their way!. Why I can't do it mith the N8? I have uninstalled and re-instaled (again) yesterday the lastest version of OVI. Tky for your support