View Full Version : N8 and Accuweather

ironass
12-10-2010, 11:28 AM
My ever growing feeling of de ja vu with the N8 has been increased with its inability to either display my Current location, although Ovi Maps 3.06 has me spot on. It starts by saying..."Getting position" and then to "Loading..." and there it stays ad infinitum.

I therefore try Add location and type in the county city, "Gloucester", which on the N97 generated 4/5 possible locations (including the US) but the app just says "Searching..." and stays that way.

It's ironic really as I had no problems with Accuweather on the N97.

Is anyone else experiencing this on the N8?

spirit44
12-10-2010, 02:22 PM
does anyone other than you have an N8 yet?!?!

sorry, trying hard to wait patiently....

ironass
12-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Errr... guess so. See here:-

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/bd-p/smartphones

granadas
12-10-2010, 02:43 PM
i am also waiting :frown:
I am full of waiting

ironass
12-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Just you both be careful what you wish for...

spirit44
12-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Just you both be careful what you wish for...

after the N97 'experience' this is a concern. Have you had problems with crashing? does the GPS work well?

thank god it doesn't have a camera lens cover.......

ironass
12-10-2010, 03:43 PM
after the N97 'experience' this is a concern. Have you had problems with crashing? does the GPS work well?

thank god it doesn't have a camera lens cover.......

No crashes so far.

GPS is spot on and quick.

It wasn't so long ago that I remember the N95 8GB being berated for not having a camera lens cover.

My... how times change! :D

kontraband
12-10-2010, 03:49 PM

yeah, Ive got one :tongue: although a little less :tongue: atm and more :mad:

spirit44
12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
surely it must now be time to have an N8 forum rather than hijacking the N97 one?

kontraband
12-10-2010, 03:57 PM
yes, indeed it should. And its in motion apparently.. not in my jurisdiction ;)

ironass
12-10-2010, 04:16 PM
yeah, Ive got one :tongue: although a little less :tongue: atm and more :mad:

Glad I'm not the only one!!! :mad:

I think you'd better tell Rafe to reserve a large chunk of the server for the N8 forum. :D

theblob
12-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I never managed to get accuweather to work well on my n97, all other gps things work spot on.
It seems to me that accuweather gives up trying to get a gps fix to quickly, i don't know if the developers could make it search for longer but thats what my n97 needs cos if i have ovi maps running in the background accuweather will get a fix instantly.

Stuntman
12-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I never managed to get accuweather to work well on my n97, all other gps things work spot on.
It seems to me that accuweather gives up trying to get a gps fix to quickly, i don't know if the developers could make it search for longer but thats what my n97 needs cos if i have ovi maps running in the background accuweather will get a fix instantly.

I had difficulties getting Accuweather to work well my my N97 as well. I never managed to get the GPS fix to work at all. I just pick my city (Vancouver) and set it as the default.

ironass
14-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Update

For some strange reason, Accuweather has decided to work and I'm happy to report that it is now showing my, "Current location".

I wish I could tell you that it was something I'd done... but I can't.
It was just working this morning.

As for the N97, the only way I could get my "Current location" on it was to install Maps Booster from the Ovi Store and that solved the problem.

Before purchasing it you could try installing Ovi Maps v3.06 to see if that helps with positioning, if you haven't already got it.

donchichi
21-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm using accuweather with no problems on getting location. except i have my gps keep popping on and off (widgets in offline mode), just removed accuweather from the widgets.. lets see how it goes.

Don Zone
21-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Ya i have also got the same concern. Somebody please help me out. Trying to wait patiently, but really wish someone will get with the solution. I have tried to get the resolution through many sources, but still can't get through.
So friends please suggest ...

adkiller
23-10-2010, 04:12 PM
The accuweather home screen widget seems to need a constant connection to be able to update automatically. Does anyone experience this? Is it the usual behaviour? Is there anything better for the N8?

So far loving the N8!:D

Thanks in advance!

jake20
27-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I have accuweather, and have a constant 3g connection, yet accuweather does not update on its own, and there no refresh settings.
I have to manually update it..

thank sucks
I don't know why it wont update on its own.

src81
14-11-2010, 03:15 AM
hi all....i think i have found a solution for this problem. I was having the same issue with my n8 with accuweather. but the configuration of accuweather is not same as it was in n97/n97 mini. accuweather is a widget for n8 and you can add it to the home screen as well. so before opening the application you need to go online mode for the widgets from the home screens. then open the application and it works like a charm.

phessler
14-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Is there a good alternative to Accuweather for S^3? I'm interested in it showing me a SPECIFIC place (not my current location), and optionally letting me scroll to additional locations.

ironass
14-11-2010, 05:27 PM
hi all....i think i have found a solution for this problem. I was having the same issue with my n8 with accuweather. but the configuration of accuweather is not same as it was in n97/n97 mini. accuweather is a widget for n8 and you can add it to the home screen as well. so before opening the application you need to go online mode for the widgets from the home screens. then open the application and it works like a charm.

Errr... AccuWeather is a homescreen widget on the N97. :D

ironass
14-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Is there a good alternative to Accuweather for S^3? I'm interested in it showing me a SPECIFIC place (not my current location), and optionally letting me scroll to additional locations.

AccuWeather > Add New Location allows you to select specific locations, other than Current Location.

You can add as many as you wish.

Also saves having to get a GPS lock for Current Location.

phessler
14-11-2010, 07:36 PM
AccuWeather > Add New Location allows you to select specific locations, other than Current Location.

You can add as many as you wish.

Also saves having to get a GPS lock for Current Location.

I tried that. But it *always* switched back to "Current Location", and didn't cache the weather results as long as I would like.

src81
15-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Errr... AccuWeather is a homescreen widget on the N97. :D

i had a n97 mini and there accuweather worked even without going online for home screen widgets.

jake20
11-12-2010, 08:29 PM
my accuweather widget for my N8 now is updating, but its always switching from my preset home location to "Current Location" , and kicking off the GPS for location info.

I don't want it using Current Location because it drains the battery more having to use GPS all day..
I have no idea why it started behaving like this.. its such a buggy app

MontyN95
13-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Using accuweather and it is such a buggy fristrating app! hopefully alternatives will start coming out soon!
Can't believe it's the only weather widget out there! Weather is usually the first thing people with widget phones add so you should expect loads.

Anyway restored my phone yesterday (videos wasnt working properly) accuweather was one of the first things I installed and so far, it's behaved itself! *fingers crossed*

Otherwise, loving the N8!! Best phone out there at the moment IMHO

jake20
13-12-2010, 02:16 PM
there is SPB weather, its good but the homescreen widget display is not great IMO.

warmth
24-03-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm having a big issue with Accuweather widget, cause the widget is not showing the RealFeel temperature that the inside App and Accuweather are really displaying but a random number :S

slashd0t
25-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I found it to be buggy on my N97, N97 mini and on my N8... Also have notice significant battery drain having it installed on my N8 so I've just removed it.

warmth
26-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I found it to be buggy on my N97, N97 mini and on my N8... Also have notice significant battery drain having it installed on my N8 so I've just removed it.Did you have your location fixed or let the app to find your location by GPS?

slashd0t
26-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Did you have your location fixed or let the app to find your location by GPS?

I've tried with both... GPS was significantly worse for my battery..