View Full Version : Nokia N8 arrived

ironass
05-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Just received my Nokia N8.

As you can see from screenies, I'm just charging it up.

First impressions... I like the form factor. Feels nice and solid to hold. Camera (12MP) looks a big beastie.

It has a thin elongated USB port (strange) under one of those flimsy plastic flaps at the top as well as a Micro USB on the left hand side and also a 2nd "pin" charger , a la N95, at the bottom.

Has 3 home screens that I can see.

C: Phone memory... Free 182.2MB
E: Mass memory... Free 13.7 GB
F: Memory card... not installed yet

Threaded SMS Conversations.
More later.

N/A
05-10-2010, 09:43 AM
It has a thin elongated USB port (strange) under one of those flimsy plastic flaps at the top

HDMI, not USB. It is also written on the flimsy plastic.

ironass
05-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Like I said... Only had it a few minutes.

You're quite right, it does say HDMI.

Thanks! :D

spirit44
05-10-2010, 10:05 AM
when did you preorder it mate?

i'm tired of waiting for this phone! i really should have paid for the express delivery, lol

snoFlake
05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Greater faith than I :)

Enjoy your new phone it's a lovely looking little beastie.

Look forward to hearing how it goes for you - like S^1 but quite a bit better I guess.

N/A
05-10-2010, 11:50 AM
like S^1 but quite a bit better I guess.

Marginally better, I'd say, not "quite a bit better".

ironass
05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
These are my first impressions having only used it for a couple of hours and with nothing loaded.

Pro's

Amazing sound system on loudspeakers. Dolby 5.1. The best of any phone I've owned.

Good video playback of the built-in "Tron" movie clips.

Camera is very good.

Comes with Ovi Maps (I do miss Ovi Maps) but only v3.04.

Multi-touch (pinch & zoom) works well.

Good, solid, sturdy, build.

Con's

Touch is not as responsive as I would like (2 or 3 taps required sometimes).
I could have been too hasty here. This could be due to the screen cover still being in place.

Redraw problems. Screen seems to freeze temporarily. Sluggish scrolling.

Browser is sooo slow. To load the Nokia Support page from Bookmarks took 34.7 sec's on WiFi. Compare this to 17.4 sec's on the Nexus One.

UI looks like the same tired N97 UI. It cries out for SPB Shell to come as pre installed IMHO. Not available for the N8 in Ovi Store though.

My initial impression is one of de ja vue as this phone seems to be a repeat of the N97 in that I do not believe the firmware is "mature" and is going to require some updates and I cannot see the advantages of Symbian ^3 in use.

Some weeks ago I lost my N97 and had to claim through insurance. Of course, the insurers could not offer me a replacement N97 and out of the selection of phones I was given I plumped for something completely different... the HTC Nexus One on Android 2.2 FroYo.
I have to say that on responsiveness the Nexus wins "hands down". Also it has a much faster browser.

I'm sorry if I'm raining on anyone's parade but I can only speak as I find.

I really don't think that this is going to save Nokia's bacon or can be called an iPhone killer. :frown:

boothy
05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
I know this is going to sound really naive but with reference to the un responsive screen and screensaver does this mean a purchased screensaver is a complete no go with a capacitive screen like the N8? _ - I have never owned one so have not ever thought about it until mentioned in above post.

Thanks

Boothy

Stuntman
05-10-2010, 04:52 PM
These are my first impressions having only used it for a couple of hours and with nothing loaded.

<snip>

Con's

Touch is not as responsive as I would like (2 or 3 taps required sometimes).
I could have been too hasty here. This could be due to the screen cover still being in place.

Redraw problems. Screen seems to freeze temporarily. Sluggish scrolling.

Browser is sooo slow. To load the Nokia Support page from Bookmarks took 34.7 sec's on WiFi. Compare this to 17.4 sec's on the Nexus One.

UI looks like the same tired N97 UI. It cries out for SPB Shell to come as pre installed IMHO. Not available for the N8 in Ovi Store though.

My initial impression is one of de ja vue as this phone seems to be a repeat of the N97 in that I do not believe the firmware is "mature" and is going to require some updates and I cannot see the advantages of Symbian ^3 in use.

<snip>

I'm sorry if I'm raining on anyone's parade but I can only speak as I find.

Actually, this is the type of information I am interested in. I have an N97 and would like to know if the N8 fixes some of the N97's shortcomings. It doesn't look like the N8's responsiveness is a great improvement over the N97. This is quite disappointing.

It did take me a month to get my N97 to a point where it is stable, if a little sluggish. It took me this long as this was my first experience using a smartphone. I would be interested to know if the next firmware upgrade helps improve the responsiveness of the N8.

I really don't think that this is going to save Nokia's bacon or can be called an iPhone killer. :frown:

I'm not really looking for Nokia to come up with an iPhone killer. I want Nokia to come up with an N97 killer. From your initial impressions, the stigma of the N97 is still alive and well and continues to haunt Nokia.

abound
05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Sooo jealous ironass :o !!
A few questions for you if thats ok :)?

1)Did you get an email when your N8 was dispatched?

2)I'm guessin you ordered from Nokia so when did you order it?

3)Do you know if it makes a difference to when you get it if you ordered a contract rather than Sim-free?

I pre-ordered mine start of September and have phoned them a few times, a few days ago they said the UK should be receiving theirs mid October!

Cheers

nottmbantam
05-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the update Ian, interested to see how the N8 performs in 'real life' as not all the reviews on various web sites can be trusted. I'm not planning on getting the N8 but am interested in the E7 which is supposed to running the same OS. I must say that worryingly, the early indications are that Symbian ^3 isn't gonna be pulling up trees...

Good luck with it though, hope all goes well. Will stick with the E72 for now.

ironass
06-10-2010, 12:44 AM
I know this is going to sound really naive but with reference to the un responsive screen and screensaver does this mean a purchased screensaver is a complete no go with a capacitive screen like the N8? _ - I have never owned one so have not ever thought about it until mentioned in above post.

Thanks

Boothy

I was referring to the plastic screen cover that comes with new phones.

Having said that, there is not a lot of difference in response with it removed. Certainly better than the N97 screen.

ironass
06-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Sooo jealous ironass :o !!
A few questions for you if thats ok :)?

1)Did you get an email when your N8 was dispatched?

2)I'm guessin you ordered from Nokia so when did you order it?

3)Do you know if it makes a difference to when you get it if you ordered a contract rather than Sim-free?

I pre-ordered mine start of September and have phoned them a few times, a few days ago they said the UK should be receiving theirs mid October!

Cheers

Can't help you I'm afraid as my N8 is a test/review handset.

ajeet
06-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Ian, I am interested to know how is the N8 compared to N97 in terms of usage, speed and smoothness (as you have used N97 for a while before).

In N97 it was possible to add two rows of shortcuts for application in the home screen. For the N8 is it possible to add more than this in each screen.

Can applications like Y Browser or SPB Shell work in N8, if you have tried.

Thank you for your reponses.

ironass
06-10-2010, 04:11 AM
Ian, I am interested to know how is the N8 compared to N97 in terms of usage, speed and smoothness (as you have used N97 for a while before).

In N97 it was possible to add two rows of shortcuts for application in the home screen. For the N8 is it possible to add more than this in each screen.

Can applications like Y Browser or SPB Shell work in N8, if you have tried.

Thank you for your reponses.

The N8 is certainly smoother and faster than the N97. I would expect this with the larger CPU and RAM. Bear in mind that I am still running it with no add-on's as yet.

I can confirm two rows (of 4) shortcuts are available as in the N97 and are configurable.
Update... you can have as many rows of shortcuts as you like on all 3 home screens.

As I mentioned, I have no add-on's yet. I did browse the Ovi Store for SPB Shell but it doesn't seem available for the N8/symbian^3 platform.

Stuntman
06-10-2010, 04:28 AM
I can confirm two rows (of 4) shortcuts are available as in the N97 and are configurable.

Only two rows? That is very disappointing. With three home screens on S^3, I would like to configure mostly widgets in the first home screen with maybe one row of shortcuts. My second home screen will probably be practically all shortcuts (5/6) and the last may be my contacts. Only allowing 2 rows of shortcuts seem impractically limiting.

ajeet
06-10-2010, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the reply Ian.

boothy
06-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I was referring to the plastic screen cover that comes with new phones.

Having said that, there is not a lot of difference in response with it removed. Certainly better than the N97 screen.

Thanks for response Ironass

Sorry I was not specific - I understood that you meant the protective cover I usually use a screen protector on my phones - I am considering upgrading to a N8 and was wondering if the screen will still work with a protector.

Thanks

Boothy

ltomovski
06-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Soon you will able to use SPB Shell 5.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNO7lL7g6pc&feature=player_embedded
:)

kontraband
06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
and why have you posted this in the N97 ironass ?? I mean... really... ;)

ironass
06-10-2010, 01:44 PM
and why have you posted this in the N97 ironass ?? I mean... really... ;)

Er... Seemed like a good idea at the time!

Did I miss the N8 forum?

You can move me if you want kontraband and I will sit on the "naughty step" for 15 min's. :redface:

(I still cannot find the N8 forum on here. Must start taking more water with it)

kontraband
06-10-2010, 02:24 PM
lol... no... you'll have to stay here... N8 forum is on the way.. lol Your naughty step time is removed ;)

I was just jealous really..

ironass
06-10-2010, 03:01 PM
lol... no... you'll have to stay here... N8 forum is on the way.. lol Your naughty step time is removed ;)

I was just jealous really..

:D

Thank goodness for that... I really thought I'd lost the plot!

(not for the first time I hasten to add)

No Christmas drink for you this year kontraband. :wink:

ironass
07-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Some screenies of the N8 showing the "new" UI on Symbian^3.
This is using the "Midnight Silver" theme that came, with 3 other Midnight variations, as a System Update when I received the handset!
There are now 9 themes on the N8.

zxon
07-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I have a question ironass. Do you have the option to take widescreen photographs with your N8? Even if it takes a normal 12MP photograph and crops it to 16:9 ratio?

ironass
07-10-2010, 09:07 AM
More screenies.

ironass
07-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Yet more screen shots.

Strange that in Gallery in landscape mode the photo's scroll up and down and not side to side as I would have expected/liked.

ironass
07-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I have a question ironass. Do you have the option to take widescreen photographs with your N8? Even if it takes a normal 12MP photograph and crops it to 16:9 ratio?

Just gone through all the camera settings and there doesn't appear to be. There is a Scene Mode called "User defined" but this is to set up your own combination of Portrait/Landscape - Flash - White balance, etc.,etc.

Forgot to mention that on most menu's there is a "Show open applications" option that allows a preview so that you can close applications down. See screenie.

ironass
07-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Installed Handy Taskman to show free RAM and phone and Mass memories (no memory card installed).

As you can see, the N8 has about 3 times the available RAM of the N97.

However, I must say, that I am experiencing lags and freezes on the N8. This is not the smooth experience I was hoping for.

kontraband
07-10-2010, 10:25 AM

you can take panorama ones tho can't you?

ironass
07-10-2010, 10:41 AM
you can take panorama ones tho can't you?

Do you mean the panorama app that's featured here:-

http://blog.gsmarena.com/nokia-n8-gets-a-pretty-impressive-panorama-feature/

It doesn't come with it out of the box but is a forthcoming app due to be released in future on the Ovi Store.

ironass
07-10-2010, 10:57 AM
KKKooonnntttrrraaabbbaaannnddd!!!!

I've been moderated! :banghead:

kontraband
07-10-2010, 11:05 AM
LOL... its not me modding it... its the flppin system. Its going hostile!

I did indeed mean a panorama app... I saw it from the N8 competition app winners probably... hence thinking it was already there.

strcmp
07-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Panorama is in the Ovi Store now, I installed it this morning. You can change photo aspect ratio between 4:3 and 16:9 with a pinch gesture in the photo app.

What kind of lag are you seeing? I don't see much on mine.

ironass
07-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Panorama is in the Ovi Store now, I installed it this morning. You can change photo aspect ratio between 4:3 and 16:9 with a pinch gesture in the photo app.

What kind of lag are you seeing? I don't see much on mine.

I have been experiencing lags in lots of different areas, as though the handset is playing catch-up.

I was playing a song and hit the hard Menu key and then moved to the 2nd home screen and had to wait for a repopulation and redraw of the widgets.

On another occaision I was again playing music in the background whilst browsing Maps and then opened the camera and found that I could not exit camera even after half a dozen presses.

It's not something that happens every time under the same circumstances. I can sometimes open Contacts to scroll through and find that it sticks.

Having said that, unlike the N97, you do not have to close down every app before moving on to the next one. The attached screen shots show all the open app's (18) on the phone with 65MB of RAM to spare.

strcmp
07-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Fair enough, I guess it depends what you use on the homescreen - I don't have much on mine, I don't like to switch screens so everything I want is on the front.

I wouldn't have used maps and music and camera at the same time either, maps is usually an in-car thing for me, although I've had no problems with maps + music + FM transmitter. Guidance comes out of the phone, but that's fine.

tulloch
07-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Hi Ironass,

Can you tell me if it has a notification (breathing) light and if so can it be configured to flash indefinitely until ackowledged by the user?

Also, does the Exchange mail support push and calendar synch? Finally, does it support Yahoo mail push without the ridiculous requirement of using Nokia's mail servers?

Thanks for your time.

ironass
08-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Hi Ironass,

Can you tell me if it has a notification (breathing) light and if so can it be configured to flash indefinitely until ackowledged by the user?

Also, does the Exchange mail support push and calendar synch? Finally, does it support Yahoo mail push without the ridiculous requirement of using Nokia's mail servers?

Thanks for your time.

Breathing (notification) light, behind the Menu hard key, can be set to "No limit".

As for the second part of your question, I'm afraid I haven't got round to trying that out yet.

If you look back to my screenshot "Homescreen 2" it shows a mail setup widget for New mailbox which includes Ovi, Yahoo, Windows Live and gmail.

vgs21
08-10-2010, 07:38 AM
I have been experiencing lags in lots of different areas, as though the handset is playing catch-up.

I was playing a song and hit the hard Menu key and then moved to the 2nd home screen and had to wait for a repopulation and redraw of the widgets.

On another occaision I was again playing music in the background whilst browsing Maps and then opened the camera and found that I could not exit camera even after half a dozen presses.

It's not something that happens every time under the same circumstances. I can sometimes open Contacts to scroll through and find that it sticks.

Having said that, unlike the N97, you do not have to close down every app before moving on to the next one. The attached screen shots show all the open app's (18) on the phone with 65MB of RAM to spare.
Im asking a favour from u Iron. As u must have experience by now that whenever u try to send an sms to a group of ur contacts phones operatin and sms sending procedure becomes slow in sending and if u have kept delivery reports on then it bcomes real slow and pathetic. This is what is happening with me in N97. I jus wanna ask u Does the same happens in N8 when u try to send an sms to many people at a time by both Delivery report as YES and NO both. Plz help me bcoz i ve made up my mind to buy N8. So need a bit of advice.

tulloch
08-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for that. Looking forward to further comment from you.

strcmp
09-10-2010, 09:44 AM
So, on a slight tangent - when are we going to get a 'Nokia S^3' forum :) I think N8s are going to start rolling out next week in the UK - preorders first and operator sales the week after. Vodafone says they will be delivering on 22nd October, I'm hoping to go into a Vodafone shop on 23rd to get my second one although I'm not sure if I should wait for the C7 or C6-01. The second one is for my wife and she's not that great at focussing with our digital camera, so the EDOF camera will probably mean she gets better shots more often..

I presume there will be a few more readers either getting their hands on one or asking questions before getting one, so it'd be useful to have the forum ready..

cylon6
09-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Well I think the N8 is a great looking phone but they should have at least refreshed the icons and font. If anything not to remind people of the N97. Even though new Symbian works faster it looks old even though it's new. Nokia can be such buffoons!

ironass
09-10-2010, 11:30 AM
The N8 will only connect to Ovi Suite and is not supported by Nokia PC Suite.

The N8 is certainly faster than the N97 and has RAM to spare without having to close each individual app.

As for Symbian ^3 I can't help but get the nagging feeling that it's just a stop gap between Symbian 3 and MeeGo to allow Nokia to carry on selling handsets.

Battery life is proving good, much better than the N97. I can go a whole day, even playing with it, without charging. Just as well as the battery is not designed to be changed but is screwed in.

Quite a nice cover flow (a la iTunes) in Music. See screenie.

I do agree that the themes and icons are now looking a bit tired and jaded when compared with other makers handsets. SPB Shell and Pizero themes should cure that though.

cylon6
09-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Some screenies of the N8 showing the "new" UI on Symbian^3.
This is using the "Midnight Silver" theme that came, with 3 other Midnight variations, as a System Update when I received the handset!
There are now 9 themes on the N8.

I have read somewhere that there are themes where you can change the icons on the N8 and that seems like that is true. Can you show any more and can you change the font?

And if only Nokia mentioned this before I wouldn't have been so down on the icons and font. When I get mine the first thing I'm doing is changing the icons and font if possible.

strcmp
10-10-2010, 07:34 AM
S^3 is still symbian, you can change the font, icons, skins, transition effects etc. S^4, who knows yet - it's a new UI.

naviru
10-10-2010, 08:42 AM
...you can change the font...

I'm considering to buy a N8 as soon as its out in Australia...but is anybody sure that I can change the font the system?

If somebody could try FontRouter for me that would be a huge help.

I sorta need to change the font and add other language support to the device...

Stuntman
11-10-2010, 10:32 PM
One thing I have experienced with my N97 is that after a couple of days, it seems I have difficulty starting apps. Normally, this isn't an issue as every day I go to work and turn off my N97 and turn on my work phone. On long weekends like this weekend, I had to restart my phone as my Facebook app refused to start. I was wondering if you experienced any issues with the N8 if you leave it on with some apps open for days.

strcmp
13-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Don't use fontrouter - you WILL brick your device. According to forum nokia, anyway..
http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/sittiphol-phanvilais-forum-nokia-blog/2010/10/11/how-to-full-format-your-bricked-n8

kontraband
13-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Its more a Hard Reset is a little different to previous models in what it 'doesnt' actually put back... You lose Maps and Store but seems some have got Maps back without issues and others havent.

But yeah, for now I'd stay away from fontrouter too

seki
13-10-2010, 08:49 PM
do a quick browse to http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/ (major Japanese news site)

and let me know if it renders ok (basically doesn't show nasty block fonts all over the screen)

TIA

ironass
13-10-2010, 09:26 PM
do a quick browse to http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/ (major Japanese news site)

and let me know if it renders ok (basically doesn't show nasty block fonts all over the screen)

TIA

See screenies.
This is the website you mentioned I believe seki.

seki
13-10-2010, 09:36 PM
See screenies.
This is the website you mentioned I believe seki.

That is the English site :(

try specifically .. http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/index.htm
or http://www.mainichi.co.jp/ (another Major JP site)
or http://asahi.co.jp/ (ditto)

many thanks

ironass
13-10-2010, 10:02 PM
That is the English site :(

try specifically .. http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/index.htm
or http://www.mainichi.co.jp/ (another Major JP site)
or http://asahi.co.jp/ (ditto)

many thanks

Sorry seki, my mistake.

Try these:-

ironass
13-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Just for comparison seki.

This is how they render on the Nexus One.

seki
13-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry seki, my mistake.

Try these:-

Many thanks .. looks like the age old problem .. with Nokia / Symbian ..

Cheers

ironass
13-10-2010, 10:28 PM
That little excercise for seki has now made me withdraw my comment about Multi-touch (pinch and zoom) on the N8... it's not very good at all. Twice it froze the screen and the 3rd time it just left me with 4 or 5 partially drawn and partially zoomed amd overlapped screens all on the one screen.

Also the built-in browser is slow and as clunky as the N97's I'm afraid.

Couple of other things I've noticed are that ScreenSnap that I downloaded for the N8 off of the Ovi Store actually takes you to camera after the screenshot and then freezes everything up.

The other thing I've come across is that Handy Taskman only partially works on my N8 in that I cannot seem to close open app's with it in a lot of cases. Admittedly this was the same prog I used on the N97 so it may not be compatible with Symbian^3.

It's something to watch out for if you are considering going from Symbian 3 to Symbian^3. Your app's may not work or work correctly.

seki
13-10-2010, 10:58 PM
That little excercise for seki has now made me withdraw my comment about Multi-touch (pinch and zoom) on the N8... it's not very good at all. Twice it froze the screen and the 3rd time it just left me with 4 or 5 partially drawn and partially zoomed amd overlapped screens all on the one screen.

Also the built-in browser is slow and as clunky as the N97's I'm afraid.

Couple of other things I've noticed are that ScreenSnap that I downloaded for the N8 off of the Ovi Store actually takes you to camera after the screenshot and then freezes everything up.

The other thing I've come across is that Handy Taskman only partially works on my N8 in that I cannot seem to close open app's with it in a lot of cases. Admittedly this was the same prog I used on the N97 so it may not be compatible with Symbian^3.

It's something to watch out for if you are considering going from Symbian 3 to Symbian^3. Your app's may not work or work correctly.

My guess is the browser/OS was struggling to find fonts to render .. madly substituting block characters for what ought to be shown.
Sure they're double byte characters but the browser likely supports that .. the problem is no font support in the OS.
Roll on the proper browser .. and roll on decent font support.

/me looks shyly at his iPhone 4 .. I really don't want to like you this much ..

quietly .. I thought S^3 had better task management installed?

ironass
13-10-2010, 11:10 PM
My guess is the browser/OS was struggling to find fonts to render .. madly substituting block characters for what ought to be shown.
Sure they're double byte characters but the browser likely supports that .. the problem is no font support in the OS.

/me looks shyly at his iPhone 4 .. I really don't want to like you this much ..

quietly .. I thought S^3 had better task management installed?

This isn't the first time its happened though seki.

The screen redraw and overlaps I mentioned were actually on this very page when I tried to enlarge to click on your links. In fact I had no problems on pinch & zoom on the links that you gave me.

I've said it before on scrolling freezes and lags but, to a layman like myself, it's as though the system is trying to play catch-up... if that makes any sense.

fatty5000
13-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Doesn't look good from where I am sitting .................

This all sounds strangely familiar :redface:

naviru
14-10-2010, 01:55 PM

oh no.............why cant nokia install a universal font on the device......
its ok to have english system language, its ok to have no IME for other languages, at least make the device capable to display other languages :(

If somebody can help to test existing ways of changing font, that would be great...or I'll have to buy a hongkong version for better CJK language support...

cylon6
14-10-2010, 02:03 PM
its ok to have english system language, its ok to have no IME for other languages, at least make the device capable to display other languages :(

If somebody can help to test existing ways of changing font, that would be great...or I'll have to buy a hongkong version for better CJK language support...

The Nokia browser is just shocking anyway. I hope the alleged new browser is a vast improvement and does tabbed browsing.

N/A
14-10-2010, 02:08 PM

I can think of two possible reasons (or excuses):

1. Font licensing costs (cheaper to use and pay for Chinese font licensing only for phones made for Chinese speaking regions)

2. ROM budget (i.e., saves on the ROM space by allowing use of less memory - smaller memory chips - or for a/the smaller memory size use the saved space for something else in those regions where they can use smaller font files).

When Nokia makes about 500 million phones per year, this type of savings start to approach real sums (no longer "peanuts").

Of course, they could pay once for unlimited use of fonts, or develop their own and then over the years recover that, but it'd still be a waste of space for most people not needing just that.

naviru
15-10-2010, 03:14 AM
I can think of two possible reasons (or excuses):

1. Font licensing costs (cheaper to use and pay for Chinese font licensing only for phones made for Chinese speaking regions)

2. ROM budget (i.e., saves on the ROM space by allowing use of less memory - smaller memory chips - or for a/the smaller memory size use the saved space for something else in those regions where they can use smaller font files).

When Nokia makes about 500 million phones per year, this type of savings start to approach real sums (no longer "peanuts").

Of course, they could pay once for unlimited use of fonts, or develop their own and then over the years recover that, but it'd still be a waste of space for most people not needing just that.

yea licensing might be the one.. I don't think rom size is a big issue today.

cylon6
15-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Just got this email.

Dear Customer

Unfortunately due to a technical error your new Nokia N8 will not be delivered today.

Please be assured we have arranged for a Saturday delivery, therefore you will get your hands on your new exciting handset tomorrow.

Please accept our sincere apologies.

Kind regards

Nokia Direct Customer Service Team

cylon6
16-10-2010, 01:03 PM
My N8 arrived today and what did I go and do? Put the memory card in the SIM card slot!! Now I hope the T-Mobile shop can help me! :frown:

ironass
16-10-2010, 02:12 PM
:rofl:

Sorry cylon6... but you've made my day mate!

I guess that Nokia thought that the little icons on each of the side doors and the blue, credit card sized instruction, card with pictures that came with the phone, were enough to prevent this happening.

Guess not!

cylon6
16-10-2010, 02:20 PM
:rofl:

Sorry cylon6... but you've made my day mate!

I guess that Nokia thought that the little icons on each of the side doors and the blue, credit card sized instruction, card with pictures that came with the phone, were enough to prevent this happening.

Guess not!

Tell me about it!! Your name is Ironass I think that mine is Dumbass!! :laugh:

Nightmare scenario. :banghead:

ironass
16-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Tell me about it!! Your name is Ironass I think that mine is Dumbass!! :laugh:

Nightmare scenario. :banghead:

Never mind... at least you can laugh about it! :hahaha:

Could try a pair of tweezers I suppose.

kontraband
16-10-2010, 03:20 PM
LOL... nightmare... you must be able to tweezer it out shirley? ;)

cylon6
16-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Never mind... at least you can laugh about it! :hahaha:

Could try a pair of tweezers I suppose.

It's so stupid. I'm so annoyed and then I just have to laugh. The diagram said where it was but my concentration lapsed and I just put the card in the wrong slot.

This never happened when the SIM card was behind the battery! Curse you Nokia and your immovable battery! :laugh:LOL... nightmare... you must be able to tweezer it out shirley? ;)I'm going to try....and don't call me Shirley!! :D

cylon6
16-10-2010, 03:24 PM
So has anybody switched on a new N8 today unlike me? What are your first thoughts and general impressions of the phone? I must say that the green one I have looks great...when it's off!! :D

kontraband
16-10-2010, 03:31 PM
LOL, Ive switched 2 on... 1 like yours, looked great whilst off...

The other tho, Im happy with at the moment and impressed with the battery! ;)

Things feel a lot more smooth in comparison to delays on the X6, but I have noticed a need to re tap certain buttons.

cylon6
16-10-2010, 03:41 PM
LOL, Ive switched 2 on... 1 like yours, looked great whilst off...

The other tho, Im happy with at the moment and impressed with the battery! ;)

Things feel a lot more smooth in comparison to delays on the X6, but I have noticed a need to re tap certain buttons.

Do you think the re tap is due to the protective cover it has or does it need a re tap even without the cover?

cylon6
16-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Okay by some miracle I managed to get the memory card out and have put the SIM and memory cards in the correct slots. Unfortunately my phone is showing as Offline and says that I should insert a SIM card.......I HAVE!!

Can somebody offer any advice please?

kontraband
18-10-2010, 09:31 AM
well, seeing as you put it in the wrong slot 1st time, you do actually have the SIM in the right way round yeah? As the little picture shows on the side. ;)

Alternativly, have a press of the power button and pick a profile... do you still get the message?

cylon6
18-10-2010, 09:35 AM
well, seeing as you put it in the wrong slot 1st time, you do actually have the SIM in the right way round yeah? As the little picture shows on the side. ;)

Alternativly, have a press of the power button and pick a profile... do you still get the message?

Sadly I still get the same message. Everytime I pick the profile it won't go to general and says insert SIM card.

Also, the SIM card should click into place and click out of the slot but it doesn't.

Thing is I have the phone in green from the Nokia shop on T-Mobile and I don't want to lose that.

cylon6
18-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Okay so my phone has been a nightmare but guess what was delivered today? Another N8!! And it works!! Email, Facebook, Twitter and everything works. I'm happy now!! :D

kontraband
18-10-2010, 02:55 PM
woooohoooo :) My #2 is certainly way better too... although I have had some mail client issues but mostly its all good.

macwhu
18-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Yep I've stopped using the mail client as it was hanging my 'pre-commercial' software N8
so i put it down to that - been using web based gmail instead. which is sadly a quite crude 'wap'compared to the android/iPhone gmail mobile web interface.

Still I just installed the awesome JoikuSpot and its shiny new interface....

http://hellon8.tumblr.com/post/1344131887/here-come-the-new-joikuspot-for-symbian-3-and

kontraband
18-10-2010, 03:20 PM
ahhhh joikspot... my very 1st AAS review :D

cylon6
18-10-2010, 03:37 PM
woooohoooo :) My #2 is certainly way better too... although I have had some mail client issues but mostly its all good.

You had to get a second one as well?

LoubieLou
18-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Just recieved the N8 this morning from Tesco Mobile 329 ,an tried the new three screens an got used to the software on the N8,then copied contacts on to my N8,an after 2 hours my N8 as now Frozen an just shows the Digital Clock an can"t turn the phone off,you used to able to remove batteries on other mobiles i have had an turn the phone back on,but on the N8 you are not aloud to remove the battery,so now got to wait while Tesco send me a package to return the N8 an get it Repaired,so really angry with the design of the N8 an Nokia not thinking that the N8 will never Freeze.might get the C7 instead of the N8 now

kontraband
18-10-2010, 04:04 PM
You had to get a second one as well?

yup :(

LoubieLou, you can take the battery out but you'll need a torx driver ;)

You could reset it tho... probably easiest from your PoV though to just return.

cylon6
18-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Just recieved the N8 this morning from Tesco Mobile 329 ,an tried the new three screens an got used to the software on the N8,then copied contacts on to my N8,an after 2 hours my N8 as now Frozen an just shows the Digital Clock an can"t turn the phone off,you used to able to remove batteries on other mobiles i have had an turn the phone back on,but on the N8 you are not aloud to remove the battery,so now got to wait while Tesco send me a package to return the N8 an get it Repaired,so really angry with the design of the N8 an Nokia not thinking that the N8 will never Freeze.might get the C7 instead of the N8 now

That is no good at all. My first N8 was a donkey but thank God they sent me a second as the second is working much better. I do miss being able to take the battery out though.

kontraband
18-10-2010, 04:06 PM
but you can... its easy... its 2 screws ;) (might void your warrenty tho as there is a warranty sticker in there I think and its says not to in the manual ahahha)?

cylon6
18-10-2010, 04:18 PM
yup :(I'm sensing a theme here and I don't mean Midnight!! :laugh:

Did you ask for one or did they just send it?

LoubieLou, you can take the battery out but you'll need a torx driver ;)

You could reset it tho... probably easiest from your PoV though to just return.

I agree about doing a hard reset if possible.

strcmp
18-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Whoa whoa... don't go getting the screwdriver out just yet!!

All you have to do is hold the power key down for 7 seconds and it does an immediate reset, just like removing the battery. When it happens you'll get 3 buzzes out of the buzzer. You can then restart with the power key again.

[edit] it's done in HW so works no matter what state the SW has got itself into.

cylon6
18-10-2010, 06:13 PM
What really annoys me is that I can't write in a text box such as this via the browser on the N8. I find that incredibly annoying and when I do write stuff it won't show up on here! Makes me miss my N95, 6600 and N70!! :mad:

LoubieLou
18-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Only had the N8 for 2-3 hours an just switch contacts to my N8 an the phone as now Frozen an just shows the Clock Screen Saver,an can"t switch the N8 off at all,you used to able to remove batteries on mobiles an switch it back on ,but the N8 as a non-removable battery,so now got to send the N8 back to get Repaired,thats the only disadvantage with the Design of the N8,an now might cancel the N8 off tesco mobile an get the C7 instead,as at least you can remove the battery on this mobile

strcmp
18-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Only had the N8 for 2-3 hours an just switch contacts to my N8 an the phone as now Frozen an just shows the Clock Screen Saver,an can"t switch the N8 off at all,you used to able to remove batteries on mobiles an switch it back on ,but the N8 as a non-removable battery,so now got to send the N8 back to get Repaired,thats the only disadvantage with the Design of the N8,an now might cancel the N8 off tesco mobile an get the C7 instead,as at least you can remove the battery on this mobile

No no no. I already said :) You don't need to take the back off the phone to reset it. It has a hardware reset which you trigger by holding the power button down for 7 seconds. It'll buzz 3 times when it's about to turn off.

If the screen lock is on, it might tell you to press the onscreen button to unlock it but just ignore it and keep holding the power button down until the buzzing starts.

It's done in hardware so there's no way you can fail to turn it off unless the hardware is broken somehow.

The captive battery really only has one disadvantage - you can't swap it for a pre-charged spare easily. The HW reset takes care of all the other cases when you might want to pull the battery.

cylon6
19-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Can someone please explain why it is that even though I have my Virgin Media email on my N8 and I have it synced to the server, that even though I delete from the phone and server it still comes through on my home Windows Mail when I open it up? I never used to have this problem on my N95 a few years back then Nokia changed something.

It's very annoying as I thought that I'd gotten rid of a mass of emails during the day, and then they turn up again anyway when I open Windows Mail on Vista. So frustrating.