View Full Version : Ovi Maps beta v3.04 updated

ironass
21-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Nokia Beta Labs have released an update for their Ovi Maps v3.04 (091) to v3.04 (115).

No changelog at the moment. Slightly smaller installation size.

Details and download here:-

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-beta-for-mobile/download_and_installation

zxon
21-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Seems this update is only minor, dealing with a few bug fixes. I'll download it and give it a go, because mine seems to crash and close itself most of the time when I reach my destination.

Thanks for the heads up ironass.

ironass
21-03-2010, 10:24 AM
The only problem I've come across since installing bets Maps v3.04 is that I can no longer do "Back ups" in File Manager anymore.

In spite of having 6.5GB on F: drive and 45MB RAM as well as 30MB on C: I'm getting "Memory full. Close some applications" message.

Re-formatted memory card but makes no difference. :frown:

zxon
21-03-2010, 10:32 AM
The only problem I've come across since installing bets Maps v3.04 is that I can no longer do "Back ups" in File Manager anymore.
Strange you say that because I was having issues backing up too a few days ago. I'd left it to back up everything for an hour and it didn't progress further than half way. After removing the battery and trying again, it worked ok.

Another thing I'm having trouble with is geotagging my photos. It'll get a lock in Ovi Maps and Google Maps very quickly, but it never seems to get a lock to geotag photos, even when I'm in an open space. When I close the Camera app, I still see the GPS symbol in the top-right for ages afterwards, and can only get rid of it (and stop it draining my battery) by restarting the phone. I can only assume this has something to do with the new positioning methods in Ovi Maps, so maybe this is one of the other bugs they've dealt with.

I'll soon find out... as my phone's just finished installing the update. It failed the first time due to lack of space on C. I had about 14Mb free, so I cleared the Web cache which brought it up to 20Mb and tried again. Installed successfully.

[EDIT] First impressions: moving around and zooming in/out is much smoother...

[UPDATE] Well, looks like Nokia have come through! Geotagging photographs has started working again! I launched the Camera and saw that tagging was switched off again, probably due to me installing the new Ovi Maps, so I went into the options and switched it on. A few seconds later, the tagging icon was shining through without a line across it. Took a couple of photos and checked them in Photos, and can see the option "Show on map" when I view the image. Also, the GPS icon now disappears when Camera closes! Good stuff :)

dog-man
21-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I think I will wait until it's out of beta before installing it.

If I use my maps abroad, how can I disable network access to avoid any costs?

I have tried this here in the UK as an experiment, as I may be going to Germany this year and it still connects even though I tell it not to.

I have v3.03 maps.

dog-man

ironass
21-03-2010, 11:10 AM
If I use my maps abroad, how can I disable network access to avoid any costs?

Go to Maps > Settings > Internet > Connection > Set to Offline

then Location > Positioning > Positioning methods > uncheck any data related positioning methods.

dog-man
21-03-2010, 11:17 AM
The top one I have already done, but where do I find the bottom line?

dog-man

zxon
21-03-2010, 11:25 AM
The top one I have already done, but where do I find the bottom line?
If I remember correctly, "Location" is an app located under Applications by default.

dog-man
21-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Got it, Thanks.

dog-man

ironass
21-03-2010, 04:37 PM
If I remember correctly, "Location" is an app located under Applications by default.

Well remembered zxon!

Way back in the days of the N80 I started creating a hierarchy of folders to enable me to find things easily and load more quickly and I now tend to forget where things were originally.

My Locations, for instance, is in a Main Menu folder marked GPS.

zxon
21-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Well remembered zxon!

Way back in the days of the N80 I started creating a hierarchy of folders to enable me to find things easily and load more quickly and I now tend to forget where things were originally.

My Locations, for instance, is in a Main Menu folder marked GPS.

Ditto. Mine's in a folder called Misc, for items I almost never use.

nancyth
19-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Ovi Maps Beta v3.04 was released into the wild at the end of the last month, and now the guys over at Nokia (http://www.cdmacellulars.com/category/nokia) Beta Labs have announced that a series of improvements were included in the package, and that an updated version of the software solution is available for download. The new flavor is being delivered only as a minor update, but there are a series of bug fixes included in it that should enhance the user experience.

Among the novelties included in the updated Ovi Maps Beta v3.04, we can count the inclusion of a new “positioning” feature with the application, and the replacement of the “GPS indicator bar” at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

riverboat
27-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Well, looks like Nokia have come through! Geotagging photographs has started working again! I launched the Camera and saw that tagging was switched off again, probably due to me installing the new Ovi Maps, so I went into the options and switched it on. A few seconds later, the tagging icon was shining through without a line across it. Took a couple of photos and checked them in Photos, and can see the option "Show on map" when I view the image. Also, the GPS icon now disappears when Camera closes! Good stuff :)

Still no improvement on geotagging for me.
My one remaining gripe with the phone.

dog-man
27-04-2010, 11:54 AM
My memory really is appaling...

Can someone remind me how to check that the camera is set up for geotagging?

It was, but I too have updated the maps.

dog-man

****EDIT*****

Found it.......... :D