View Full Version : The Symbian Phone of the Decade

slitchfield
31-12-2009, 09:59 AM
I asked an eclectic selection of 20 luminaries, bloggers and power users from the Symbian ecosystem: "Which is the Symbian-powered smartphone of the Decade? Which one was most significant, the most memorable, the most game-changing and the most loved?" Here are their answers, for your interest and amusement - and yes, a clear winner emerged...

Read on in the full article (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/10917_The_Symbian_Phone_of_the_Decad.php).

BrendanDonegan
31-12-2009, 10:19 AM
What Nokia REALLY need this year is to release a device that, like the N95, is just so far out there in terms of how much it can do that the iPhones slick UI becomes irellevant. Just like 2 years ago when a real argument could be made that the N95 was better than the iPhone, just because it had soooo many features.

bigdon
31-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Can anyone tell me if i can set up push email on my e71 nokia messaging? I mean real push email not some kind of set up where the phone checks every 5mins if there's a new email!

N/A
31-12-2009, 10:28 AM
What Nokia REALLY need this year is to release a device that, like the N95, is just so far out there in terms of how much it can do that the iPhones slick UI becomes irellevant.

Maybe. Unlikely to happen this year, though. ;)

Hardeep1singh
31-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Can anyone tell me if i can set up push email on my e71 nokia messaging? I mean real push email not some kind of set up where the phone checks every 5mins if there's a new email!

There's no such thing as the real push email. Even blackberry works the same way. Its just that they are good at marketing.

Hardeep1singh
31-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I vote N82 over N95.

malerocks
31-12-2009, 10:43 AM
You can do it using Mail for Exchange. Its a free app by Nokia. It has an "always on" option where your phones is constantly connected. But the constant connection can drain your battery, especially on 3G.

Kazutoyo
31-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I vote N82 over N95.
Me too, oh how I would love to see a new S60 candybar with xenon flash.

Mnia786
31-12-2009, 11:26 AM
N82 came after the N95 so I think the N95 deserves the credit abit more for integrating the current "standard" specs into mobiles. I thought the decade ends in 2010 as it starts from xxx1?? :p

Taomyn
31-12-2009, 11:45 AM
There's no such thing as the real push email. Even blackberry works the same way. Its just that they are good at marketing.

Umm....yes it does. One example that explains it: http://www.techatplay.com/?p=32 With either BIS or BES you are permanently connected to the service, with your handset simply waiting for data.

BES is pure "push" the moment the email comes into your Exchange server, and quite often before it even hits the actual mailbox, BES sends it to your handset. I'm often hearing my BB alert me then a few seconds later seeing it pop up in Outlook.

BIS on the other hand, has to poll your various mail providers for email, I think it's around 15min, but still, once it has your mail, they are all instantly "pushed" to your handset.

nj7
31-12-2009, 12:17 PM
I also vote N82:icon14:

bchliu
31-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Man.. cant you N82 users give it up about the god-damn Xenon flash? BTW.. N82 IS an N95 - but on a single circuit board in a candy bar factor..

nj7
31-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Man.. cant you N82 users give it up about the god-damn Xenon flash? BTW.. N82 IS an N95 - but on a single circuit board in a candy bar factor..

No exactly; N82 have 128 RAM and N95 only 64. The main thing for me, itīs that N82 just "works", and all work well. GPS (10-15s to lock signal), Photos, Wi-Fi... even battery itīs good. It just work, and work well:)

Group51
31-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Nokia N95. Unquestionably the Symbian phone of the Decade; a true pocket computer. I never had one though.

Unregistered
31-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I use the N82, but yes my vote goes to the N95, coz it came out first, and it was groundbreaking.
The N82 is better, but the N95 started the ball rolling.

Unregistered
31-12-2009, 01:50 PM
"I thought the decade ends in 2010 as it starts from xxx1?? :p "

That is correct, year 2010 is in the old decade, and 2011 is in the new one. But that works only if we measure time in discrete increments of one year. As even 2010.000000001 is already a tiny fraction of the new decade, just as a child born a few minutes ago has already lived a few minutes of its first year.

So, there is no reason to expect the list to change, unless someone starts distributing a killer phone in the next 36 hours.

Unregistered
31-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah N-95 was the original converged device that set the standard for all other smartphones. I've got the n82, and there's absolutely no reason for me to "upgrade" as yet. Perfect form factor for me.

Taomyn
31-12-2009, 02:13 PM
"I thought the decade ends in 2010 as it starts from xxx1?? :p "

That is correct, year 2010 is in the old decade, and 2011 is in the new one. But that works only if we measure time in discrete increments of one year. As even 2010.000000001 is already a tiny fraction of the new decade, just as a child born a few minutes ago has already lived a few minutes of its first year.

So, there is no reason to expect the list to change, unless someone starts distributing a killer phone in the next 36 hours.

Although technically correct, next year 2010 is the same decade as 2009, generally speaking as people it's not. I understand both sides this time unlike the simple fact that 2000 was not the start of the new millennium.

I think the problem is made worse this time that no-one agrees what to call the years 2000 - 2009 and even 2010 - 2019, so we have a decade name. Previously the title could have said 70s 80s 90s, but 00s or 10s reads and sounds wrong.

Unregistered
31-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I can wholeheartedly agree with this. I bought an N95-3 two years ago, and still can't let it go. Even after tweaking my N97 as best I could, I can't get myself to sell the best phone I ever bought. I'm currently debating on whether I should sell my N97 and just wait until the next game changer comes into market, as I can't convince myself to pay the ridiculous iPhone tax for an intentionally crippled phone.

Unregistered
31-12-2009, 02:50 PM
There have been very fewgame-changing handsets around, they come along once in a while and are game-changing for different reasons.
If I look at the past decade I've spent working in the industry, the devices which really jump out to me personally are....

Nokia 6300 - still used by some people today, was the ultimate business phone for so long.
Nokia 7650 - first European phone available to the masses with a camera built in, I still remeber people saying that putting a camera in a phone was pointless and it wouldn't catch on.
Motorola RAZR - first mass market phone that alerted people to the fact that your handset could also be a style statement. On a global scale, it's a very strong candidate for phone of the decade
Nokia N95 - the first truly convergent phone with mass appeal. it completely raised the bar and redefined what a smartphone is all about.
iPhone - redefined the UI and UE space completely. Ironically I had sat in many meetings with various manufacturers years prior to the iPhone fantasising about protoypes doing this sort of thing but Apple got there first and they did a brilliant job.

It's a testament to Nokia/Symbian brilliance that they have 2 smartphones in this list and one feature phone too.
Knowing what Nokia has in store for roughly the next 18 months, I do not think Nokia will release any game-changers for a while - if at all.

UKJeeper
31-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Can't find fault with this article, the N95 should be on the podium.

jApi NL
31-12-2009, 02:55 PM
For me the 9210 . More than 6 years ( 6/10 of a decade) daily use , then it died : the screenconnectorcable got worn out . E90 is now +2 years on the way to its retirement .

:) Regards jApi NL

Unregistered
31-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Nokia9500 for me as it is the first WiFi phone of Nokia... Packs the wonderful Seies80 UI, Nice keyboard, Nice screen, excellent battery life...

Unregistered
31-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Nokia released the N95 an then the N95 8gb which i both liked,the N95 8gb was my Best until i got hold of the N82 an this as been Nokias best phone because they did the correct thing with the N82 put the xenon flash for images,but since then they have let us down,i had i hopes of the N86 but the speakers an the weight of the N86 really let this phone down an all Nokia did was improve the N85 body,the cheap way out,just hope in 2010 Nokia do seem more bothered in the camera market not just the Touch Screen market

illusionado
31-12-2009, 05:28 PM
n82 was late and i dnt care! if it was not a groundbreaking, i just luv it even i dnt have it! End!

illusionado
31-12-2009, 05:35 PM
We like n82 and we dnt ask if which one come 1st.
If u r basing about d earliest den u shud consider 3210!darn.hahah.n82 amazed me even i dnt have it.yes, it was a nice cameraphone.plus 3250 was an awesome phone with its twisting body.

Unregistered
31-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Bar the camera resolution, could almost be a current phone with the spec:

3G, triband GSM
bluetooth headset, mono mp3 audio, OBEX, DUN, sync
320x200 2.8" touchscreen
handwriting recognition / fingertouch keyboard (seethru) / pen input keyboard
dpad and gamekeys for landscape gaming
AGPS
stereo speakers, 2.5 stereo headset jack
usb sync
1600mAh battery
microSD slot
POP/IMAP/exchange email
SYNCML
Sync to outlook
configurable homescreen (program launcher, emails/ cals/ todos/ text message previews, web shortcuts)
mp3, divx playback, 3gp video streaming (youtube mobile site), landscape/portrait video playback
pdf, ppt and ebook readers (landscape/portrait)
word and excel editors
opera mobile web browser with flash 7 playback (in landscape or portrait)
3D games (doom, global race etc)
social networking apps (fring)
google maps / TOMTOM satnav
front and rear cameras
complete one handed usage
Python environment for development

Unregistered
31-12-2009, 06:47 PM
The Sendo X and still born X2 was way ahead of its time, and had they not been murdered by Microsoft, Sendo would have kicked ass big time.

jah
31-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I think the real phone is the least known Symbian phone, the Nokia 7710 could have been the phone of the decade. This touch screen phone could have led to Nokia's iPhone beater 2 years ago but Nokia stopped development.

Hurlley
31-12-2009, 07:16 PM
The phones Ive owned through the past 10 years the only phone that did what I wanted at its time really well was the Nokia E50. Then I would say the N82, im not sure why but I still feel that for its time the E50 was better than the N82, it did not have a fancy camera, great video recording, 3G or GPS BUT I just remember being extremely happy with it, I had no complaints, it just worked, I think it might be because it was a smartphone without bugs, It just worked, always.

For a phone that did everything I could want goes to the N82, seriously it doesnt get better. Everything the 95 does but smaller, headphone jack in the right place, better GPS, XENON. I loveed the fact of how unpopular it was because it made it cheaper for me!! cheers! The N95 was still more expensive when I got it. I have not met another person with that phone in daily life, except I got a glimpse of a white one randomly saw someone on their phone.

In terms of the popularity yes the N95 wins out, going furthur back 2.N73

going back before symbian or before being smart. 3. 6230, 4. 7250

zhengiszen
31-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Salam,

In my mind the 6300 is the inheritor of the 6110, a simple yet powerful and full featured mobile (altough old now)

Maybe it was a little too good to be reproduced hehe

@++

seki
31-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Me too, oh how I would love to see a new S60 candybar with xenon flash.

Its called the Satio .. but its SE not Nokia.. with a reasonably good firmware its a very nice phone.

seki
31-12-2009, 09:29 PM
I vote N82 over N95.

without the N95 .. there would have been no N82 .. all the basic engineering was in the game-changing N95 .. which is my smart-phone of the Decade ..

tnkgrl
01-01-2010, 04:04 AM
N95 Classic, most definitely.

Raven
01-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm with Asri al-Baker in picking the 9300(i) as the Symbian phone of the decade, but the E90, P800 and P900 have a special place in my heart as well.

KPO'M
01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
I agree with the P800. It truly was ahead of its time. Unfortunately, its successors were weak, and SE eventually abandoned UIQ and Symbian, it seems. With all the stops and starts Nokia has made in developing a touch screen, I wonder sometimes if they'd have been better off starting with UIQ.

Unregistered
01-01-2010, 08:20 PM
That's where the problem lies, Nokia has stopped innovating since the N95.

I even gave Nokia one last chance with the N900 but that is a fairly big disappointment too. It's such an unfinished product...

I won't be buying another Nokia again.

Unregistered
02-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Hi, I am also great fan of Moto A1000. One of the first 3G touchscreen phone with UIQ. I have spent many happy hours playing Doom, Jellyball, etc. games on this great phone. I am still using it as my secondary phone.

Bar the camera resolution, could almost be a current phone with the spec:

3G, triband GSM
bluetooth headset, mono mp3 audio, OBEX, DUN, sync
320x200 2.8" touchscreen
handwriting recognition / fingertouch keyboard (seethru) / pen input keyboard
dpad and gamekeys for landscape gaming
AGPS
stereo speakers, 2.5 stereo headset jack
usb sync
1600mAh battery
microSD slot
POP/IMAP/exchange email
SYNCML
Sync to outlook
configurable homescreen (program launcher, emails/ cals/ todos/ text message previews, web shortcuts)
mp3, divx playback, 3gp video streaming (youtube mobile site), landscape/portrait video playback
pdf, ppt and ebook readers (landscape/portrait)
word and excel editors
opera mobile web browser with flash 7 playback (in landscape or portrait)
3D games (doom, global race etc)
social networking apps (fring)
google maps / TOMTOM satnav
front and rear cameras
complete one handed usage
Python environment for development

Unregistered
02-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Dear Steve, Evan or Rafe any one one but some one please help me, I really need some help frm you

Even I wanted to know about this, with Ngage dead

1. are we going to get new games for S60 V3?

2. Please tell us the future scope of N79 s60 V3 in the gamming arena?

3. will games which are written for s60 V5 work with S60 V3?

4. what is this Open Source Thing and QT ?

5. what is Symbian^2, Symbian^3 and Symbian^4, and which category does the N79 and n86 fall?

6. Is N79 QT enabled can I expect new symbian games for N79 in 2010?

Sorry for so many questions but please please answer me !! It will help me in making some decisions !!

malbry
02-01-2010, 09:59 AM
+1 for P800. My thoughts here:

http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38625&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=17

Best regards,
Malcolm

Unregistered
02-01-2010, 11:31 PM
The N82 doesn't really figure because its only advantage is its xenon flash, the xenon is only useful for a very limited scope of functionality and therefore insuffient to raise the status of the N82. Of course the rabid xenon lovers will disagree, but seriously, they are on a different planet to normal humans.

slitchfield
03-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Dear Steve, Evan or Rafe any one one but some one please help me, I really need some help frm you

Even I wanted to know about this, with Ngage dead

1. are we going to get new games for S60 V3?

2. Please tell us the future scope of N79 s60 V3 in the gamming arena?

3. will games which are written for s60 V5 work with S60 V3?

4. what is this Open Source Thing and QT ?

5. what is Symbian^2, Symbian^3 and Symbian^4, and which category does the N79 and n86 fall?

6. Is N79 QT enabled can I expect new symbian games for N79 in 2010?

Sorry for so many questions but please please answer me !! It will help me in making some decisions !!

We'll try and address most of these in the next AAS podcast! Thanks for writing in!

Unregistered
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
yeah, the N95 is most definitely the winner for Symbian phone of the decade, and IMO smartphone of the decade,

but as much as the N95 pushed the envelope, it's a sign of Nokia's failure that they were unable to refine it much further after all this time, why not incremental improvements such as a 1500mAh battery, video light + xenon (like SE phones), faster cpu, usb charging - they wouldn't even end up releasing crappy firmware to accommodate such changes ...

bulakbuk
05-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Fantastic article, I must say that AAS editors have really outdid themselves this time.

First off, I just want to to ask the people who are insisting on voting the N82 over the N95; Do you understand the word "Groundbreaking"? Now dont get me wrong; the N82is indeed a fantastic device with lots of promising features. But like what the article said, it WAS'NT the first to really bring the FEATURES that the N95 brought on.

Yes it has a Xenon flash, but it WASNT the first mobile to introduce it in the first place (think SE K800i). If there is one thing that the N82 brought in was to CORRECT the Faults of the N95 that came FIRST before it.

The N95 was not the first to offer WiFi, but it was the first to bring in Maps via GPS, a great dual form factor, an amazing Camera and all those great features that we came to know form later devices. If newer phones offered better features it is because the N95 was the first to introduce them in a mobile package, and it is but right to correct the mistakes that it had - this is called "Moving Forward".

But if you cant accept it as a device of the decade then DONT! Its as simple as that, but do us all a favor and act like like real mature people instead of yapping w/c is w/c!

Tacsiyapo!

Unregistered
23-02-2010, 11:39 AM
you all forgot about the n80, which was before all the N9* sported wifi and all the bells and whistles

silverwarren
16-03-2010, 02:50 PM
I asked an eclectic selection of 20 luminaries, bloggers and power users from the Symbian ecosystem: "Which is the Symbian-powered smartphone of the Decade? Which one was most significant, the most memorable, the most game-changing and the most loved?" Here are their answers, for your interest and amusement - and yes, a clear winner emerged...

Read on in the full article (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/10917_The_Symbian_Phone_of_the_Decad.php).

I go with 6600 and then N95.. N70 comes 3rd (I'm still using these two N-series phones)

Unregistered
18-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Thinking about the decade to come anyone have any insight into whether or not there will be a new communicator?